“Great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Heraklion, Greece
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I returned yesterday from a 4 day trip to Trondheim staying 3 nights at the Scandic Solsiden hotel. I had read very good reviews here, so i told my travel agent to book this hotel and i did not regret that!
The room was very very clean and quiet, it had a big comfortable bed, iron (!), you could adjust the room temperature from the TV (!), it had a small fridge, the bathroom was also very clean, with heated floor, so the overall room experience was quite good.
The breakfast was quite nice, there was a variety of things to choose (even caviar) - but no espresso/capuccino machine :(.
The hotel was located in a nice area, next to a shopping center. The bus stop to and from the airport is at the Rica Nidelven hotel across the pedestrian bridge - 5min walk, so i guess it's ok.
A few things that could be improved are: the pillows are quite soft (i don't like them quite soft), the TV is an old CRT model (i don't watch TV so it didn't bother me, but it is smg that does not fit well to the eye). Furthermore, although the bed was a double, it had 2 separate very narrow blankets (instead of a large one). Although i can understand the choice of 2 blankets instead of one, they were too narrow and i ended up using both of them in a complicated way so that i could cover up myself.
Overall experience was very good and i would definitely go back to that hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, General Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Elias M

Thank you very much for rating your stay at Scandic Solsiden as a great stay.
I'm also happy to read that you had a good room experience and liked our breakfast with a variety of things to choose from.

You missed some cappuchino/espresso coffees and I will use this feedback whwn we evaluate our coffe machines in the near future. We will replace all our TV - sets in 2013 and this will improve the guest experience even more.

Im so sorry that you had problems with the blankets. I will look into this. If you would be so kind to send me an e-mail so that I can get an even better understanding of the problem I would be very grateful. My E-mail adress is: truls.hoff@scandichotels.com.

Thank you again for the review and welcome back to us at Scandic Solsiden soon.

Best wishes

Truls Are Hoff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Not the most extravagant hotel in Trondheim, but it has a high standard on the rooms and it is very fresh and clean. The breakfast is as good and diverse as you expect it to be. What I miss in this hotel is a relax and spa area, other than that it is highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, General Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Andreas_13010

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Scandic Solsiden.

I'm very happy that you liked the room standard and that its fresh and clean.
You also like our diverse breakfast and its good that we are able to meet your expectations.

I'm sorry that we cant meet your expectation on providing a spa and relax area. What I can tell you is that there is a spa in the shopping mall a 30 second walk away from the hotel. We do also have a deal with a new and fresh fitness center a 2-3 minute walk from the hotel. It provides the latest in fitness equipment.

Our reception ca give all the information you need at your next stay.

Hope to see you soon as a guest at Scandic Solsiden.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel it's elf is lovely, very clean and in a superb location. Well within walking distance of all Trondheims sights and it has a beautiful nearby river with restaurants all along the side. There is also a little shopping mall nearby which is delightful.

I did however have a rather miserable problem, I told the hotel I was very allergic to feather pillows and duvets etc, although they made sure there was none in my room, within minutes of being in the hotel room my nose was totally blocked and my eyes were bloodshot. My family and I checked every pillow and duvet and thee were no fetchers but SOMETHING in the room was affecting me. I am not allergic to anything else, and when I lefty the hotel to go out my nose unblocked and my eyes returned to normal, until I returned to the hotel and sure enough it came back.

We could not get to the bottom of the problem and when I re checked at reception about my pillows they said they were defiantly not feather. I do believe this was true but I suspect maybe before I arrived there were feathers in the room, I did find a small feather near the desk but I suspect there were maybe others loose I didn't find. As a result I had to spend little time in the room and the hotel and this was obviously very uncomfortable.

The room I booked said it was for 4 people ( the was 3 of us) but one of the beds was a fold out sofa chair, this was not ideal and it wasn't even an inch off the floor, if I had known this I wouldn't have booked the room as the fold out bed was awful. It should be clearer on the website, the room descriptions are not detailed enough.

It's a shame because the hotel is nice and the location is superb.

I don't think I would stay the again, but if you are only me or two people then I would say give it a go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, General Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Frey95

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Scandic Solsiden. Feedback like this is very important to us.

Its really nice to see that you enjoyed our hotels location with walking distance to all of Trondheims sights and our level of cleanliness.

I'm so sorry that you had problems with your allergy in the hotel room. There should be no feathers there so I will look further into this matter to find out what triggered the reaction.

You did not like the sofa bed and I agree that the information about this can be better. I will send a memo to the web page editors today to improve information.

We are as you write a nice hotel with a superb location so I hope to see you as a guest again in the future.

Mo i Rana, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Scandic Solsiden is centrally located, next to a large shopping center in an area that once was a large shipyard by the river. If you use a car during your stay you can take the elevator right up to the hotel room from the shopping center's parking garage. Very convenient!
The rooms are quite small but has all the necessary equipment and comfort. The beds are good. You can hear some noise from the street even on the 6th floor. The wi-fi is free and has good coverage.
Breakfast is of the normal standard for most Norwegian chain hotels. This does unfortunately also include the same tasteless 'scrambled eggs' (without eggs?) like most other hotels offers. The breakfast room is large and airy, and the staff were quick to clear the tables.
Staff at the hotel were friendly and the service was good.
A small odd thing: When we got to our room the lights and TV were already on and there was a key card in the slot by the door. We first thought that we had been given a room that was already in use, but everything was perfectly clean and untouched so it was probably just the cleaning staff who had forgotten their key card.
My wife and I had a nice stay at Scandic Solsiden, but I think the room price might be a little high compared to some of their competitors in Trondheim.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the main street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear oskaalb

Thank you for tking the time to write a review describing your stay at Scandic Solsiden.

I'm happy that you enjoyed our central location, good parking facilities, the friendly staff and the good service.

I'm so sorry about the forgotten key card. One of our staff members must have forgotten it. I've talked to the housekeeper and they will give some ekstra attention to this so it wont happen again.

Thank you again for reviewing us and hope to see you soon at Scandic Solsiden

nesoddtangen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is located at the newly developed dockside shopping and entertainment area in Trondheim, an easy walk from the city center with the cathedral. Møllenberg and Bakklandet, main areas for wooden architecture is very close as well. The service was friendly and the breakfast buffet was ample. The downside was the room: so small it felt a bit cramped and uncomfortable for two people, nowhere to put bulky luggage and very little space for hanging clothes. The view from the window was straight into the neighboring block of flats. Only one comfortable chair and a small old fashioned television demanding more than NOK 12o-something to see normal film channels sent us walking the streets instead of relaxing in the room. A little noisy in the week-end as people pass by on their way from the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Kbergaust

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm happy that you like the location of the hotel with walking distance to shopping center and different attractions in the city. I'm also glad that you found the service friendly and that you found our breakfast buffet ample.

We do have some small rooms due to the configuration of the hotel and I will make shure that our guests will receive better information about the different room types when placing a booking. We have both superior and superior extra rooms. I'm sorry that you felt uncomfortable in your room.

We will change our TV sets in 2013. I do not have the date yet but this will improve our guests TV experience. We are also looking into what to do with the chairs in some of the rooms.

Thank you again for reviewing Scandic Solsiden and i hope to see you back as a guest in our hotel soon.

Kindest regards
Scandic Solsiden
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

may be the only thing bothering when arriving at this hotel. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our overnight stay. A clean nice room, may be a bit small. You are met by nice people when checking in and those you meet during your stay. They are serving a nice breakfast buffet a part from awfull scrambled eggs! Those "eggs" are served in almost every hotel breakfast room - isn`t time for a change? The Chefs should serve scrambled eggs as we all know how to prepare them at home . . .

Room Tip: There was some noice from the street when openeing the window, may be you should ask for a more quie...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, General Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear GUMOslo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I noticed that you did not like our green surface and of course you dont have to. But I would like to tell you the inspiration behind the choice of colour. In Trondheim we have the beautiful cathedral NIdarosdomen. If you have seen the green copper surface on top of the cathedrals towers you have seen the inspiration for our surface.

Its modern architecture inspired by the old and traditional. Hope you liked the story:-).

I'm very glad you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and I will look into the matter with the scrambeled eggs. We do as you pointed out, have a very nice staff of highly motivated people that really wants to give our guest a good hotel experience.

Hope to see you back as a guest at Scandic Solsiden.

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

During multiple stays in Trondheim due to business travels I have stayed at most of the hotels in the city.
I have found that Scandic Solsiden is the best option for me and for my needs. I now use this hotel on a weekly basis and I am really satisfied with the staff, rooms and breakfast.

I highly recommend this hotel both for business and holidays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Truls H, General Manager at Scandic Solsiden, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Rune G.

Thank you for giving us this nice review and for choosing Scandic Solsiden to be the best option for you in Trondheim. We will keep on working hard so that we can meet your expectations at every stay.

Hope to see you in one of our frequent guest events this fall.

Best wishes