“A breakfast to remember”
Review of Scandic Nidelven

Scandic Nidelven
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The breakfast was spectacular, of course - white tablecloth, freshly pressed orange juice; coffee brewed constantly. There were cooks all over the place, flipping omelets and producing delicate yoghurts.

The rooms were delicate, quiet (!!) - oddly enough, no noise from the streets (perhaps because my room was overlooking a canal), and clean. Minibar was always stacked, personnel was both discreet and ubiquitous (and that is quite a combination, isn't it).

The location was, for my purpose, perfect - in the middle between the railway station and the government archives where I was studying, and within walking distance of the city center.

The televison was not all that intuitive, but after a few minutes I got the hold of it...this was a pleasant stay. One drawback however - I gained four pounds in three days...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 9, 2014

It is no mistake that this hotel regularly wins prizes for best breakfast. It is simply incredible. The rooms are small by international standards, but nice and clean, with a quite nice color scheme. The service is excellent - the personnel really tries to assist. A small minus is that there is no early breakfast if you have an early flight. However, when I asked about this, the nice lady in the reception immediately produced some croissants and coffee for me to have while waiting for the taxi.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over the river
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a cheap hotel. Some rooms are quite big, some are rather small. Breakfast is OK, but you might have to wait for a table. It's very clean and modern. No aircondition means that it might be too hot to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

While the hotel itself can stand on its own as a great place to stay (clean, modern, comfortable, good location), the thing that sets this hotel apart from other hotels are the breakfasts.
Out-of-this-world! Yes, I read the reviews before arriving and thought that people exaggerate a bit when their bellies are full. Rest assured that every good review written about the breakfasts at Rica Nidelven are 100% true. The food was outstanding - the choice, the presentation, the attention to detail, the taste...
I give it my vote as Norway's Best Breakfast any day.

Room Tip: Ask for the old wing if you don't want to walk far from the reception, bar and restaurant area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We arrived at the Rica Nidelven in the early morning but were unable to reach the main entrance due to an icy slope. To our pleasant surprise, the General Manager of the hotel (Mr Gjerde) had just arrived then and helped us enter the conference center so that we could reach the reception via an underground passageway. Moreover, since we had an early flight on our last morning there and were unable to enjoy the breakfast we were entitled to, we wanted to have that breakfast on the day we arrived instead. When we ran into Mr Gjerde again near the restaurant, he kindly told us not to worry about the breakfast arrangements and said he would invite us to the breakfast that day! Furthermore, we also discovered that he had specially arranged some complimentary fruit and dessert to be placed in our hotel room for us. When we sent him a thank you note, he also informed us that he had informed his colleague at the Rica Ishavshotel in Tromso (which we had told him we would be staying in next) to take good care of us.

We have travelled widely and this was the first time we had received such wonderful and dedicated service during our stay, and we would recommend this hotel on that basis alone. That aside, the hotel also offers a delicious and varied breakfast buffet (try the Parma ham with cheese,biscuits and apricot marmalade) and has well-appointed rooms with a nice modern design. Our room had a great view of the Trondheim wharf. Thanks again to the Rica Nidelven and Mr Gjerde for making our stay here such an incredible one!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kangyixi
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My plane was more than two hours delayed, and the plan to have a late dinner in Trondheim fell through.Half an hour before midnight, I asked the reception if there was room-service or possible to buy a sandwich at the bar, but no, too late. It was cold and icy outside and I did not feel like walking the streets for something to eat. "I have a packed lunch from the cooler if you wait a minute" the friendly receptionist offered. A real life saver, I brought the bag to my room and enjoyed a focaccia, a yoghurt and fruits with a red wine from the minibar.

Of course I agree with everyone else, the breakfast is a treat: local produce, personal attention from people working with the food that can tell you about their offers and advise you. I will never forget the gravlaks from Frøya on home-made knekkebrød. Coffee bar, If you are a single person on a business visit not particularly social at 7 in the morning (describes my situation), you can relax by yourself at the breakfast bar contemplating the river, enjoying your meal without having to see everyone else. And what a meal it is.I thought of a Singapore food court transplanted to Nordic areas at breakfast.

My room and bathroom was OK. Wooden floor is always good, a view to a not-so nice street I could draw the curtains to hide, boring design of the kind you see in most chain hotels does not matter that much if you have a comfortable armchair. Irritating flat-screen TV, you have to work your way around the 139 NOK so called Bundle of Adult entertainment et al and so on to get a few normal news and national channels using a very insensitive remote control. When hungry, I am critical. Good size, comfortable bed, electric kettle, free wi-fi. This is what

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was joining meeting held in Nidelv last week. Hotel is mainly used for these meetings and circumstances are good for this kind of happenings. Hotel is also located next to or “above sea” in the middle of city of Trondheim. Rooms were just normal hotel rooms that you use to see in Nordics – nothing more. Beds were soft and nice. Bathroom was small but I fitted in there. Free WiFi was available during stay. Check in and out - no problem. Hotel is priced of its breakfast and that is something to expire. There is fresh fish and multiple choices of cheeses available. Need to say that I haven´t seen this kid of breakfast around except hotels that are much higher price. I attach some pictures of their breakfast, but this in not able to describe by my photos.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business