“Great hotel in the middle of Trondheim”

Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel, Trondheim
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed here for a night during a business trip to Trondheim. Hotel is very central in Trondheim. 30 minutes with the bus from the airport.

Had a Business Class room. The room was in a newly refurbished section of the hotel, and the room was quiet. The room had a king size bed, with the standard amenities on a Radisson SAS Business Class room. Free Internet is also available. The room and the bathroom was clean. The persons working in the reception was friendly.

The breakfast was a average hotel breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 4, 2008

We stayed one night here as part of the Hurtigruten 'Visit Norway' package, so have no comment about price.

What is good? Central location, architecturally pleasant conversion of old warehouses on the river, clean, efficient service, spacious room, Scandinavian standard breakfast. I left my camera behind, and having given my details [in English] by phone from Trondheim railway station, the camera arrived next week at home Edinburgh, UK, well packed. Well done.

What is bad? Nothing really, but it was all a bit 'Scandinavian bland', in a way that fellow travellers, who stayed at the Britiania said the Britiania was not.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank tommyatkins
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The most positive things to say about this hotel is that it had free wireless internet access and that it is very close to the city centre. Also I quite enjoyed the huge breakfast buffet, although the restaurant was very full and we really struggled to find a suitable place for all five of us.

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. On the second night we had an early check-in at the airport. It was great to find out that they did a special breakfast for people checking out early, however, the first I knew about that was when I checked out in the morning. Luckily it was early enough to take advantage of it before heading out to the airport.

I had a rental car while I was there, and on the first night I parked it in the underground garage. I was surprised to find out that it was not manned 24 hours a day and that I couldn't get my car out until 8am on Saturday morning. Luckily it wasn't the day I needed to get to the airport early!

The second night I found a parking space some distance down from the main entrance to the hotel. This turned out to be free between 8pm and 8am, so saved me NOK 185 for parking! And of course I didn't have to deal with the problem of getting the car out before the garage opened.

All in all the hotel was OK, and very conveniently located. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay. The first looked pretty worn down, while the second one had obviously been done up recently. So it seems the hotel is being renovated in stages and this may explain some of the inconstancies in some of the reviews.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This was my second stay at this Radisson. The check-in was smooth and took less than 5 minutes. Rooms are of average size and are comfortable. There are no individual a/c controls, which I found to be a bit strange.

An annoying thing about the hotel is the fact that the rooms do not have any ironing facilities. You cannot ask housekeeping to bring one up to your room either. You have to go down to the basement and use the common iron/ironing board.

The breakfast spread is decent and is included in the room rate. The staff were really good. Overall, a decent business hotel but need to do more to bring the standard up to international levels.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We passed one night in the Trondheim's Radisson. The staff was not wellcoming and the buffet breakfast was huge but not good. The room was quite big but unpersonal. The good point is the central location of the hotel and its design. This is not a good Radisson for me (we visited a lot around the world (20 in all continent) and it's definitly the worst one).

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Recently stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay here. The location is central - we got the bus from the airport for 80NOK per person and the bus stopped right outside. The bedrooms were fine, quite spacious, with really comfortable beds and duvets. Slept really well here, even during the day when we had an afternoon nap and it was lovely and peaceful. Tried not to use the mini bar as the prices were quite expensive - 34NOK for a small bottle of water. The breakfasts were good though, with a wide selection on offer including lovely fresh warm bread and rolls, fresh fruit, assorted cold meats and fish. Used the pool once during our stay - it was deserted so great to have it to ourselves. The saunas were separate for men and women so husband and I had to do our own thing. Being a large hotel, there seemed to be events on every evening with conferences but the noise didn't bother us at all, even though our room was quite close to the main lobby. Have stayed at other Radissons and this one was just as modern and clean, with good service as the others.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We stayed for 1 night at this hotel in August 2006.

We didn't spend an awful lot of time in the hotel, but we found it a nice central choice in Trondheim, within a few minutes walk of shops and restaurants.

The room was spotlessly clean with wooden flooring and a very comfy bed. We also had a pretty nice view from our room of the waterfront.

Breakfast, as is usually the case in Radisson hotels in Scandinavia, was more than adequate with many items to choose from.

I would have no hesitation in staying here again, based on even this short stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple