“Awful nights in this hotel”

Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel, Trondheim
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The lobby of the hotel seems promising an the staff is friendly. But the rooms are disappoing. I got one of the single bed room at the end of the corridor. The room was very small and the architecture and style is typical from north europe... The floor was not very clean, but fairly acceptable. The nightmare started when I turned off the light to sleep. There was a constant noise of water in the pipes that was disturbing my sleep. I took losts of time to fall assleep and woke up several times during the night because of that. I believe that the noise that I was hearing was the water of the heating system, which can justify the constant noise during all night and all day.

In the other hand, the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pmdsv
Marthe H, Sales manager at Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel, Trondheim, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Pmdsv,

We are sorry to know about your discomfort that you experienced with us.

We do value your business very much and consider your comments very seriously. We are pleased to inform you that we are going through a major renovation of the entire hotel. These problems you experienced will be solved during the year of renovation.

We do take this cleaning issue highly seriously. We always pride ourselves on offering a clean environment for all our guests. However, we value your comments.

We do apologyze for the inconveniences this might have caused you during your stay.

Thank you very much for helping us improve day by day.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2013

For sure this is one of the best hotels in lovely Trondheim, however, it got a bit long in the tooth. My room was old-fashioned and all the furniture looked very used, also the bathroom could need some refurbishment. But the breakfast buffet is excellent, with a very good choice of fresh bread. And of course, the green garden surroundings in the house are very nice. Needless to say, that the hotel is expensive!

Room Tip: try to get a room to the river, good view!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Garden hotel for four nights attending a training course in Trondhjem. I was not very happy that my company booked me at this hotel as I had read many negative comments about it on TripAdvisor. However, this hotel has had a good reputation over the years. So I kept an open mind.

When I arrived I had a great first impression. The ground floor has a great architecture, there are huge atriums and the interior has been updated. The receptionist was professional and polite. I got a room on the fifth floor. The room was, as expected, very 90's-ish. With an old TV, old curtains and a somewhat dated bathroom. However, the bath tub is the best I've ever encountered in a norwegian hotel.

The breakfast hall was nice but the breakfast itself can't match the competition from the Rica hotels nearby, nor the Britannia. The personal can of coffee was a nice touch.

The hotel is undergoing a much needed big renovation now, to restore the Royal Garden as the leading hotel in Trondhjem. I welcome it, and hope to be surprised the next time I stay there. I can recommend this hotel the way it is today, it's central probably the best location in town, and they have their own bus stop for the airport shuttle bus. Looking forward to my next stay!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

When I checked into the hotel, they gave my friends and I a room on a floor that had some renovation works going on. The room smelt of glue. We asked for a change of room and reluctantly they agreed to it. I do not understand why they had to give us that room knowing that renovation was going on at that point of time. Receptionists there were not as friendly as those that we enountered in the other hotels in Norway. Location of hotel is great but that is the only positive thing I can say of this hotel. There was no coffee or tea available for their guests although I think it would be a nice gesture if they make the beverages available.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Located in the down town of Trondheim this hotel has been a local institution for decades. While the competition has increased it may no longer be the premier hotel in town, but still a nice place.
We came by car and the hotel has valet (valet is not normal in Norway) parking in the basement, as parking spaces can be hard to find down town this is a huge plus for me, a tad expensive but as it saves so much trouble and time it is worth it.

The staff was very polite and courteous.

The room was clean with a comfortable bed. The room had what must be the last CRT hotel-TV, have not seen them i a long time. The hotel was in the middle of do renovating, and by the look of the room (a bit dated but not worn down) this will be taken care of shortly.

The breakfast was good with the normal selection of dishes, spreads and cold cuts. As a bacon aficionado I was pleased to see that they offered plenty of perfectly cooked bacon. (So many places don't offer bacon these days)

Bottom line:
Centrally located, on site parking with polite staff and comfortable and quite rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. I had top floor room where the window opened to the outside. Smoking room. Hotel is being refurbished and definitely needs it. My room was very tired and had trouble with the ancient tv. But my colleagues room had already been updated and was much nicer. Will be great once the refurb is finished.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night with a friend before going on a trekking tour in the wilderness further north.
The Radisson's location in Trondheim is very convenient, we could walk to and from all places which we were interested in.
The room we got was newly renovated and matched the standard we expected.
I had booked a cheap prepaid rate via one of the large booking portals - so the value for money was excellent.
Service was even better: The friendly staff offered to store some of our luggage while we went hiking - without any extra charges. When we returned two weeks later, we asked for a room for day use, to take a shower and freshen up. As they had none available, they gave us access to the wellness area so we could use the facilities there - again for free. I was impressed by that level of customer service and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012