“overpriced budget hotel with unprofessional service”

Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Trondheim
Levanger, Nord-Trondelag, Norway
“overpriced budget hotel with unprofessional service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Reception/service:
We arrived around midnight to the Bakeriet to be clerked in by an extremely unprofessional robotic receptionist who had probably received little relevant training or supervision in his job (his main focus being taking my credit card,not really bothered to take us through the very basics).

On check out we were greeted by a nice girl with a beautiful smile.Minimum interaction, no question about the quality of our stay something one would expect to get from a standard hotel but really no real complaint as she was so very genuinely nice.

Room:
The room was big in size and very quiet(which was nice).The interior of the room apart from an old picture indicating the history of the hotel was extremely boring with depressing choice of colours. The room was quite warm(we had to keep the window open at night so that we could sleep).

It had an ironing table and an iron, very handy for many people,I suppose.

Bathroom:
Clean but old fashioned bathroom with little ventilation , very cheap quality hand soap and shampoo,no conditioner.

Food:
Breakfast:
Extremely cheap quality stuff, usual supermarket bread(only three types, something rather odd for a hotel called Bakeriet, they could have branded themselves as The Hotel where you get freshly baked bread in the kitchen on the day, but hey, this type of thinking simply does not exist in the hotel business in Norway).

Boiled egg was cold.There were eggs that one could fry oneself but could be making a selling point had there been a staff member taking your order and making it for you so that you'd feel pampered.

Coffee was self service from a machine and bad quality.

Vegetables(lettuce, pepper, cucumber and tomato:all Rema 1000 cheap quality stuff). cut and served with no dressing available on the side for those who have acquired a better taste!

Cheap quality picked beetroot and cucumber from a can probably bought from the same low end supermarket.

Little choice in what Norwegians call pålegg, cheap salami and sausage that you would not feed to your enemies, very cheap tasteless cheddar cheese, extremely low end brown cheese,I could go on for ever describing their breakfast but I guess you get the picture.

Dinner: was included in price but thankfully we're spared the torture since we arrived quite late at night.

Locality:
Close to the city centre and train station, airport bus virtually drops you off at the hotel doorsteps.

General:
Not good value for money, over priced, not recommended, try to find a better hotel in Trondheim(and good luck with that as hotel industry is in dire state in Norway!).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hotell.no

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

For once I found the perfect hotel: Nice room, soft bed, Windows I could open during the night without worrying about noice or safty. The bathroom: good lights above the mirror (why is that so rare?). When I arrived, hot sup waited for me - and all the other guest - in the restaurant. In the afternoon I could make my own waffel, and eat as much as I wanted without extra charge. The staff was very polite and nice, and I guess the male guests enjoyed the smiles from the very beautiful blond girls behind the desk in the reseption a bit more then us women! ;-)

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Morgina
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed one night here, and will not be back. The room was old, the bathroom not clean and old, the breakfast quite poor.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Checkin was very slow. This because hotel could not find my reservation. However, room was given me as they anyway had free rooms. Receptionist was very service minded and excusing.

Room was nice and in good condition. However, TV set was not a flat screen which is a rare sight today. Knowing how cheap you can get a flat screen TV, it is remarkable that they not have replaced it.

WIFI was free and was both fairly fast and stable.

Hotel offered free evening meal which was good. Same applied for the breakfast.

Checkout was fast and efficient. All in all an ok stay, but I prefer Grand Olav rating it better than Bakeriet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

For our family of four, this was a nice place to stop on our road trip. The supper buffet was ready when we arrived at 1930 hrs, typical Norwegian style, and also a taco buffet. Free of charge.

You can park in the basement, or on the street in the back alley.

The room was basic, but comfortable beds and an ok bathroom. The children's playing room was at the ground floor, somewhat improvised (a regular room that in the summer season is turned into a playroom with toys, crayons, paper etc..).

The deal we were given included tickets to Trondheim's best waterpark - "Pirbadet". We made use of these tickets the day we left, and spent almost four hours swimming around and having fun

Breakfast was very nice with freshly baked bread. Only negative thing was that they allow guests to fry their own eggs on a frying pan that left a burned smell hanging in the air for most of the breakfast..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank glopster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This hotel was nice, very close to train station. Staff was nice and dinner was included in the price. Rooms were a bit warm and ours didn't have a window to open. Neighborhood was close to sights.

• Stayed August 2011
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed for one night in this hotel for a business trip. I came in late on a wednesday and the clerk told me she would upgrade my room to a more spacious one. Sadly this got my expectations up.

The room I got wasn't very big. It was average and adequate but I the smaller room I was originally booked in must have been tiny. The room I got was pretty worn. Not bordering disgusting, but in need of a refurbishment. The bathroom had cracked tiles and the carpet had worn out spots.

The worst part of the hotel was the staff. They managed to lock themselves into my room, without knocking first, three times during my 9 hour stay! Once in the evening when I was getting into bed, the other time in the middle of the night and once in the morning.

I won't be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business