“the real taste of Italy”
Review of Villa Marina - CLOSED

Villa Marina
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Her you get everything you can wish from an Italian quisine. The Food is oustanding and the restaurant is placed so near the sea that you have a feeling of beeing in it

Reviewed January 24, 2014

and great interior design.
Very nice food, but when I came back to eat the same after a month it was not anymore in the menu.
Prices are quite high especially in summer season.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had no expectations to Villa Marina other than just another ordenary seaside taverna by the Kristiansand harbour - but we were all positively surpriced by this Italian place that combines a good Italian menue and outdoor serving. We got a table for 5 inside and ordered some salami tasting platter and olives to start with - and in addiotin we got served a very juicy foccacia to dip in a nice olive oil. After vaiting far to long (>45 minutes) we were served some good Italian pizzas with Pharma, truffle salami, fresh mozerella. My wife ordered a spagetti vongole - good taste but the pasta could have been somewhat more andente. Overall good service and positively surpriced by Villa Marina!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Was visiting Kristiansand for business and we were looking for a calm place for dinner. The place is going with an Italian menu, would probably work better as a seafood restaurant. The bread we got as a starter was quite far from the crispy crusted Italian bread I was expecting, but the sea bass was good as was the seafood risotto it was served with, and there was plenty of it. The price is rather okay for Norwegian standards, especially considering the amounts of food. Reading the other reviews I was rather surprised, I really didn't think it was that bad, but then again, neither me nor my companion tried the pizzas, so I cannot really comment on that.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Always good to revisit a place. I was here when it was Hartmanns Brygge. Now Much have changed, both with owners and with the food there.

This has been transformed into "one of the many" in Kristiansand, also food-wise. It (mis)uses the local peoples lack of knowledge of food to overprize the food that is served. And surely it is now a part of the one and only M&U that rules over the restaurant world of Kristiansand. Not to be particular proud of that.

The service is made up of people who I guess have just left high-school and/or are in transit to study somewhere - meaning, they are not really interested in the job as such and thereby the service is close to indifferent.
The menu is well... its ment to be italian. But actually it is a mix of italian words, norwegian food and topped with a lot of misunderstanding about what is italian and what is not. I asked the passing by chef, oh so this is an italian place now and he replied, yes everything is as italian as it can get. I love those quotes since they reveal - he was not a chef, neither did he know anything about what is italian and what is not.
Again: People dont know, so they just suck it in.
For instanse: They have Moules Marine. A classic belgian-french dish.
So we were a few people. We tried the pizza - nothing to do with italian pizza, it was norwegian with the caracteristic thick bottom. We tried the caprese - the mozzarella was as hard as hockey-pucks aka. it was the cheapest you can get. the seafood soup as it was articled as "Amalfi", was a disgrace to Italy and was just as italian as boiled cod for xmas. Myself tried the Vitello Tonnato. This is a fantastic dish, but in these hands, it was super super over-coocked so it was like eating leather and the sauce made out of a mix of things from a factory (if not from the same factory). I then tried the Risotto - a hard dish to make, but fantastic. Here I must say that this was the worst ever. It was over-coocked with a lot of sauce(!) and I am not sure if it came from the micro or not.
Then there was the tiramisu. Also from the factory.

And the prices are quite high, so its simply not worth it at all. Sorry to say, but the scenery is still amazing.

3  Thank Janus M