“Better than the reviews suggested”
Review of Moss Hotel

Moss Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Moss
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Look at my past reviews - I'm a fussy traveller. With that in mind, my expectations of Moss Hotel were not particularly high, especially as my usual stays in Scandinavian hotels are much of a muchness - expensive, tired and lacking the basics. This hotel, however, was actually really nice.

The previous reviews bemoaned some real trivial things - lack of luggage rack, no shelf in the shower, etc. If such things really spoil your stay then I pity you. In my room there was a strange, Ikea-like freestanding block section where you could put the suitcase, loads of space at the end of the warm, powerful shower for putting toiletries, complimentary tea and coffee, fast and free wifi, loads of towels, a nice view of the church and a reasonably comfy bed. Yes it is expensive compared with UK prices but that's Norway for you - my stay at the Scandic Edderkoppen in Oslo was the same price but this hotel is much nicer.

It is handy for early starts from Rygge Airport which is a fifteen minute cab journey away.

For a nice evening meal, head to Cafe Bare just at the bottom of the road past the shopping centre.

Room Tip: 216 was a nice room, a nice view and loads of space.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Oyvind L, General Manager at Moss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Shaun,

thank you for your kind words, and we hope too see you again sometime very soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I didn't want to do it, but they made me - those awful voices at my office. If I could choose, I would stay at a hotel where it doesn't smell bad in the lobby, where it doesn't smell like a designated area for smoking in my room - despite the fact that it is a non-smoking room. I would choose a room where the wallpaper still is attached to the wall, where the shower looks welcoming and not appallling. I would sleep in a bed big enough to stretch out and comfortable enough to actually sleep in.
I did not want to stay at Moss Hotel, but the voices at my office made me do it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Imedvindfranord

Dear Imedvindfranord,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. After seeing your review you have been very unlucky and got a room that was way overdue on renovation early last year.
I can promise you that all the rooms are now in good shape, all with new floors, beds etc.

I hope you will give us another chance in the future!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is no Marriott or Hilton but it probably has more history in it than a whole chain of corporate hotels. The Moss Hotel is situated in the centre of town and as you will see from a framed letter and photo in the bar, its history goes back a long way.

The hotel is tired and would probably need a fortune spending on it. However, the room I had was clean and spacious although the bathroom would have benefitted from a few more modern amenities. However, the shower was good, strong and hot. The (single) bed was extremely comfortable.

The welcome was sincere and very friendly and this alone wold provide me with a good reason to return. Breakfast was fine and, importantly, the hotel had fast, free Wi-Fi.

Remember, this is not a chain hotel but it is a genuine piece of the locality and you should not be discouraged form booking, especially if you want to stay in a ‘real’ hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nferguso,

thank you for your kind words! It is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at Moss Hotel.

As you mention, the hotel is old, and as a matter of facts it was rated as one of the worst hotels in Norway in 2010, and well deserved to be honest. (That is a result of 30+ years without any work whatsoever on the rooms or elsewhere.)

We have been working day in-and-out since 2010, and are improving a lot along the way. Since your stay last year many of our bathrooms have gone through minor and major renovations, in addition to other improvements.
We are happy to say that our guests now are in general very happy to stay at Moss Hotel, but we know that we are not finished yet, it is still alot we can work on! (it takes some time to improve everything when we had all in our hands from 2010..)

Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Moss Hotel almost gets it right. When I travel for business, there are a few things that have become a requirement for me when it comes to hotels: good shower, comfortable bed, wifi, don't skimp on the cheap stuff.

Moss has a reasonable shower, a moderately comfortable bed, free wi-fi, but in the end disappoints me.

1. 2 towels. I am a solo business traveller in a single room. If I have been travelling for hours to get to the hotel, I appreciate a shower at night, and another in the morning. Unfortunately, only 1 thin towel is supplied. Give me 2 towels and I'd be happy.
2. No luggage rack. In 20 seconds I found a luggage rack on Amazon for under $20USD. I'm sure hotel supply companies can do it better. Instead I am forced to put my dirty suitcase (that I just dragged through the snow outside) either onto the desk, the tiny bedside table, the bed, or the floor. It seems like an oversight that can be easily fixed, and would make my stay better, if only because I'm not annoyed by its absence.
3. Not enough powerpoints. Many times I travel with a powerboard anyway, but if I'm travelling light, I generally leave it home and take the risk. There should be more powerpoints at the desk, and next to the bed. Even a double adaptor would suffice at the bedside.
4. No shelf in the shower. I bring my own toiletries, as most hotels don't have tamper evident seals on the condiments or use a bulk dispenser (obviously to save money). If I'm using my own stuff, I'm saving you even more money, so give me a place to put it.

All in all, you aren't exactly spoiled for choice in Moss with only one other viable hotel nearby, but that said, it wouldn't take much to make Moss hotel the only viable choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dwev,

thank you for your valuable response!
Regarding your suggestions, I can inform that:

1. Towels: Your suggestion is noted, although we have changed this as a set routine.
Extra towels are available on request prior to arrival or at the front desk.

2. We have racks in most of our rooms now.

3. More PowerPoints are now in quite a few of our rooms, and more to come.
Double adapter is usually available at the front desk.

4. Noted, and we have changed and renovated many bathrooms allready, but will continue to work on this!

Hopefully the previous "almost" is now much closer to a perfect match.
We hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very small hotel with very small rooms. We had 3 people and we weren't very comfortable here. It had a good location since it was near the bus stop to Rygge airport which is what this hotel is perfect for. Other than that, it was overpriced for what we experienced and we didn't really enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Daniel,

thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that your room obviously was one of the smaller we got, most of them are very spacious. We are still renovating the hotel throughout, and do hope to see you again sometime in the future, as we should be able to offer you better value for money.

Øyvind,
Moss Hotel

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

A place well past its sell by date. Small rooms (we saw several, all with the same layout) with tiny bathroom in fine 70's style and a bed requiring two adults to sleep head to toe. It was at least clean, and the breakfast okay, but almost certainly overpriced for the total experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank iananding
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hi have just returned to uk after second stay at the Moss Hotel. I think its extremely good - the
breakfast choices are excellent, there is plenty of tea and coffee available and the staff are ex-
tremely polite and helpful. I shall be going back there again next April when me, my husband and
various friends meet up yet again at the Moss hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main street are sunnier
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moss
Mitt Hotell
Hotell Jeloy Radio
#3 of 5 in Moss
Marche Rygge Vest Airport Hotel
Nesparken Hostel Moss

Been to Moss Hotel? Share your experiences!