“Their main courses are the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kampen Bistro

Kampen Bistro
Ranked #161 of 1,430 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Kampen Bistro is known as as a good restaurant with moderate prices. The manu is composed every day at 5 pm, based on which ingredients are available. Kampen Bistro also has concert venue, usually with concerts once a month.
“Their main courses are the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

But the dessert is above average, but to exspensive for my taste when the quality is just so-so. Don't get me wrong, they make proper deserts but I still haven't been baffled like I do with their mains.

The atmosphere, is excellent!

• Visited December 2012

Oslo
“Very good, with a but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I was there with 3 friends. We easily made a reservation on the net.
We planned on having the three courses menù, but unfortunately the waitress did not hear us properly and came directly with the main course. However, she offered us dessert and coffe on the house.

My "but" is for the winelist or lack of it. We took the recommended wine (a Chianti for over 500,-). But first we tried to enquire on other wines. The place doesn't have a wine chart. So, unless you ask directly, you wont know the price beforehand. Quite a gamble in Norway...

• Visited April 2013
Oslo, Norway
“My favorit place in Oslo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have been a frequent guest at Kampen Bistro since they opened more than 10 years ago. Yesterday I went there again - and again I left late in the evening with a happy smile on my face!

The restaurant is a hidden gem - unknown also to many Oslo-citizens. The place has a great atmosphere - a retro style with furniture and pictures on the wall from the 60s and 70's. The service is friendly and straight forward.

The restaurant has a small menu - it is one starter, 2 mains (1 fish, 1 meat) and one dessert. It changes daily, and is based on what fresh produce the chesf finds on the market. I always go for the 3 course fixed price NOK 399,-. It is always perfect. The comination of tastes are just amazing - and it is excellent every time!

Try it - and it is a good chance that you will meet me, cause I go back again and again - with friends and with business clients.

The food is just fantastic.

• Visited March 2013
Wellen, Belgium
“Where the locals go...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I looked for a place where i could eat proper Norwegian food.... and found it here!
It is in the area Kampen, with the little wooden houses.
When arriving, didn't find the entrance directly, it looked like you entered an apartment complex :). Take the stairs up and walk straight on... that's the door to the restaurant.
Really cosy, even on a tuesday night in february full with locals. The menu had 1 starter and a meat or a fish main dish of the day. Wonderful, no figuring out what best to have, it is like home. The food was delicious and a decent portion.
Service was nice and personal.
I'll be back.

• Visited February 2013
Oslo
“Understated place, but the food speaks for itself.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We live in the area, and have only been to Kampen Bistro two times. Both have been excellent.

We visited again today after it has been refurbished after a fire and were very happy with everything.

The restaurant itself is very understated. When you walk in it could be a quiet cosy pub.

Not until the food comes you realise Kampen Bistro has a great reputation for a reason.

Norwegian food when done well is simple, fresh and delicious. This was exactly the case for us.

The staff were great and the description of the food and wine recommendations were excellent.

For good food and a few glasses of wine, the price was pretty reasonable too.

Kampen Bistro is really worth a visit in this cosy little part of Oslo.

• Visited January 2013