“Great fish ! Had a nice dinner.”
Review of Fjord Restaurant

Fjord Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 1,560 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Seafood, Norwegian, Scandinavian, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fjord offers exciting varieties of fish in all forms. The restaurant changes its menu every month so that guests can experience new tastes each time they visit the restaurant. As a guest at Fjord you can always be sure that the food is made from the best ingredients, and each season will offer new and exciting selections on the menu.
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Nice restaurant ... calm for a Friday night with only half of the restaurant occupied. Well presented, fresh and tasty fish. Expensive as it's in Oslo. A very good time.
We haven't taken the wine menu ... too expensive as it's doubling the price of the menu.

Reviewed November 12, 2010

The fancy modern restaurant offers a choice of three to five courses where all courses (except for the dessert) are made of fish. Any dish was surely excellent, a work of art and you have the option of getting matching wines with each course or pic from a wide range on the wine list. The menu is changing on a weekly basis but here are some examples of what you can expect:
- Smoked scallop and trout, herb oil, chips of rye bread, radish, cucumber, lemon crème fraiche
- Glazed sea bass, bonito soy, avocado, shiitake mushroom and pumpkin tempura, radish dip
- Poached halibut from Roan, mixed beans, petit pois puree, sea buckthorn, beurre blanc
- Monkfish with cepe mushroom crust, honey glazed parsnip, pecorino gnocchi, cepe jus

Absolutely recommendable but coming at its price (NOK 450-1,100) (EUR 55-135).

Reviewed January 17, 2010

The seafood in Fjord restaurant is quite brilliant, inventive and sometimes even intrigueing. A team of young and inspired chefs puts out gourmet meals at astonishingly low prices, whereas an equally competent team waits upon you.
The secret is the fixed menu, which is changed once a week, from which you pick 3-6 courses, and the two fixed dinner times, when eating commences, at 6 and 9 am respectively. This keeps the need for staff down and reduces the kitchen's shopping expenses; there is also less waste.
The food is varied, imaginative and occasionally astounding; the ingredients are day-fresh and first class. Portion sizes are of course adjusted according to number of courses, so even at 6 courses (with several little tidbit surprises inbetween) you never feel you've overindulged. The wine menu can be too much, though, particularily at 6 courses, so ask instead for a glass of champagne to go with the starters, and a bottle to your liking to go with the rest. Depending on your preferences, this might even make the overall price an even bigger bargain.
The ambience and interior is really cool, restrooms impeccable. Order your table in advance. Best tables are at the windows, or looking into the open kitchen, where the chefs in action can be observed.

Reviewed December 19, 2009

Having paid £10 for a bowl of moose stew from a street vendor for lunch, it was with some trepadation that I walked out at 9pm to find a good seafood restauarant in Oslo. Money just seems to evaporate in this city.

I was attracted to the Fjord by the funky decor of reindeer skins and low level lighting. Without a reservation I had to accept the high stool bar like seating beside the kitchen pass. Whilst not ideal it worked out fine and gave ample opportunity to see the food being prepared.

There is no choice on the menu. Instead it changes on a weekly basis and offers 5 courses with inter course amuse bouche. So it was seafood with more seafood. This could be a problem for carnivores or vegetarians. Being with a beef eating american; who is wary of anything with more than 4 legs I was somewhat concerned.

The set menu was NOK495 which even before eating struck me as good value. To enjoy the full experience I also opted for the matching wines at NOK475.

The pace of dining was good and seemed to accelerate as the meal progressed. My only initial moan was the lack of wine at the outset. To save my palate I generally don't have pre-meal drinks and therefore like my wine to arrive ahead of the food. Having to wait for the food to match with the wine meant this did not happen. However once the wine started it never seemed to stop, with fresh and appropriate glasses provided on each occassion. The measures were generous and refills not refused.

The food was good. It mixed hearty solid and flavoursome cooked fish with smoked and raw items. The mix was good and portion size ideal for my taste - I favour flavour over quantity.

On the downside the place takes itself too seriously and generally has attitude. For example my request for bread was denied and lead to a debate/argument with our waiter (Tommy) on why I would want to fill myself up with such stuff.

The selection of wines was interesting. I favour south african whites with seafood and so the inclusion of french vintages was perhaps not my absolute choice, but that is a personal thing and the wines matched the food perfectly.

The waiting staff were knowledgeable, efficient and tolerant of my at times nationalistic goading (over french wines).

He was also attentive. e.g one of the amuse bouche that challenged me was whale meat. I sat for a full 5 minutes considering the ethics of eating such a thing only to rationalise it and proceed to drop it on the floor - much to the amusement of my dining companion. The waiter spotted this and immediately supplied another portion.

We were the last to leave the restaurant but yet were not pressured to do so. Overall it was one of my better dining experiences of 2009 and probably the most enjoyable time within a cold weekend in Oslo. Since my travel buddy and I are domiciled in different countries the meal marked the end of a year of global travel; hotel booking disasters and Facebook motivated photography before returning to the hearths and hearts of our respective families. The meal at the Fjord capped the year perfectly and I would recommend it to other visitors.

The total bill for 2 with tip was NOK 2,150 (including whale)

1  Thank Gordon W
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We came late but we still got great service and the price for a top class 5 course meal in Oslo was really acceptable. I can only recommend the place if you are into fish. Another review states that the time between courses are short. We took the 5 course deal and i was happy that the kitchen was so organized that we were out again after 2 hours. I can only recommend the restaurant.

2  Thank Fluks123