“Delicious authentic Thai food served in a friendly atmosphere.”

Rice Bowl Thai Cafe
Ranked #77 of 1,498 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Rice Bowl is a small, informal Thai café located by the square Youngstorget. Thai artifacts and bamboo on the walls gives the café an oriental feel to it. Sometimes they also play Thai music. At Rice Bowl you can choose between a selection of Asian dishes, mainly Thai noodle dishes. This is a popular place, so you may have to wait a few minutes to get a table. Once you've ordered, the food usually arrives quickly, and you can get a good portion at a cheap price.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Rice Bowl is located in the heat of Oslo, quite close to the train station and many other places of interest.

It's often very busy with a line of people waiting to be seated. Justly so.

I felt inspired to write this review when I read the one below titled 'Very Low Quality'. I don't know what happened that day but I have eaten there on at least four occasions (as recently as this week) and the food has always been excellent.

I'd like to add that I've eaten plenty of 'real Thai food' both on multiple visits to that country and elsewhere. That which is offered at Rice Bowl is as good as I've had anywhere.

If you can't handle chilli make sure you go for medium and not 'sterk' or you will burn. At least with number 20.

The staff are friendly and welcoming. Menu is in Norwegian and English.

Prices are quite good for Oslo. Mains start at around 95kr. No alcohol is served as far as I can remember.

Great place to eat out on a budget.

There are newer reviews for Rice Bowl Thai Cafe

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went here fairly early (7ish) on a Friday evening as we knew from other reviews that the place gets crowded, and lucky that we did as we got the last table. Within a few minutes of sitting down there were people queuing outside the door, apparently normal according to the waitress, despite the -7 or 8C temperature, snow flurries and wind. And there was the downside - sat close to the door which people sometimes just left open as they queued, giving a cold draft. To be fair, staff did their best to keep the door closed.
As others have said, this restaurant is a favourite of students and younger people, but there were some families and older couples, like us - we definitely didn't feel out of place. The place is quite crowded, though not cramped, and waiting staff were constantly on the move - very busy with both eat-in and take-aways.
Service was pretty rapid, in seating us and bringing menus, then taking orders and bringing food. Turnover is clearly quite swift, although people lingering over coffee didn't seem to be pressured into leaving. Food was good and, if not authentic Thai (per another reviewer), certainly satisfied us - not the best Thai we've had but we thought very good and good-sized portions.
Of course, as others have said, the major attraction is value for money - in our case a shared (and quite large) chicken satay starter, 2 good sized mains (one chicken and one prawn) and 2 non-alcoholic beers (they don't serve alcohol) at 385NOK - around £45. That's an excellent price for a decent dinner in Norway; we went elsewhere for 2 glasses of fairly ordinary wine later and that came to nearly £20.
Recommended!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I always walk around of this place and i see a lot of people eating there, so today i wanted to try.
I ordered Thai fish cakes, that fish cakes are frozen pack ones so you can imagine the texture and inexistent flavor. After I order beef soup with noodles, 95kr i have to say cheap for Oslo, of course is cheap the quality of the meat was very bad, the noodles ok, and the soup it was not a real flavor from powders, sorry but you guys cant to cheat a professional chef maybe regular costumers or people that dont have good taste. I think the reviews of the people here are because they never tried a real Thai food, because this restaurant is not real Thai food.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My favorite here is #34, the red curry. It's probably the worlds best red curry, and I always get disappointed when I order red curry anywhere else. Try it!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

On my trip with my family, we were at this Thai cafe/restaurant. I must say their food was pretty good! My sister was pretty happy we celebrated her birthday here! Good job Rice Bawl! Only thing I missed was good view from the restaurant. But their location was pretty interesting, their wall decorations and so on.