“Best steak ever!”

Ranked #40 of 1,549 Restaurants in Oslo
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Louise has enjoyed a long and rewardinghistory here at Aker Brygge,and since we opened our newly renovated restaurant in May we intend to continue that tradition by focusing on the best Norwegian produce.We have chosen to showcase the best of Norway, not only through our cuisine, but also through the manyhistorical artifacts and works of art displayed throughout the restaurant
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was in Oslo because I was performing in Eurovision. It was May 2010. I was performing with Juliana Pasha of Albania and the entire delegation was invited to dine here. Since that evening, I have always said that the best steak I have ever had was here. I didn't remember the name until I found the business card just yesterday, so I had to finally write the review I had been wanting to write for 3 years.

Our meal was a fixed menu that began with a seagull mouse. It tasted like seafood. The owner explained that was due to the fact that seagulls only eat seafood. It was delicate and delicious. Of course, in three years, I have forgotten most of what we had, but one thing is still crystal clear, the steak.

We were each served a filet that looked rare. I am not a fan of rare meat and only recently have moved from eating it medium-cooked to medium-rare, but rare is usually too bloody for me. However, I will always try it first.

I took one bite and immediately felt compelled to ask what kind of meat it was. I thought perhaps it was venison, particularly reindeer, which was easily found in Norway. The owner informed me that it was beef. I was shocked at how absolutely tender it was. It melted in my mouth. Although it was rare, no blood oozed from it whatsoever. It was as if the blood had solidified. I asked about this and the owner explained that they steam the meat for an instant, then sear it on both sides. The steaming solidifies the blood, so it doesn't ooze out, yet remaining rare.

I have had steak all over the world and although I'm sure that excellent quality beef exists in many places, it is the method of cooking that made all the difference here.

The restaurant is elegant and the staff were top notch. We were offered various meals in Oslo during our stay but only this place is still memorable.

Thank you D/S Louise for one of the best meals in my life!

TBergerud, Guest Relations Manager at Louise Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time write this lovely review and share your experience with other travelers. We were delighted to hear that you remembered us during all these years! We have renovated the restaurant since then, and we certainly hope to see you back again soon!

Most sincerely,
Louise Restaurant & Bar

Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were a group of friends having a traditional Christmas party.
Location and ambiance were great, and the service was pretty good, albeit slow.
But the food... First of all it arrived 5 minutes after we ordered. This is not a McDonalds! It was also cold and dry, and incredibly salty. Almost unedible.
Price was insane for what you got, at 75 us dollars for a main course. The main dish included a second serving, but was offered 1,5 hours after the first serving, so I guess most guests turn that one down. Profitable for the restaurant, not for customers...
Never again.

TBergerud, Guest Relations Manager at Louise Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for the candid feedback.
We strive to make sure that all of our guests enjoy all aspects of their time with us, and if not it is important for us to always be able to handle the problems in the restaurant right away. We are really sorry we failed at this on your last visit. You should of course have been offered new food directly in the restaurant if it was cold and salty, this is not the standard we are reaching for, I can assure you. And the second servings should have been offered much sooner.
I apologize for this, and please contact me personally if you would let us try to make up for this unfortunate incident.

Kind regards
Booking & marketing manager

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The sea food platter is amazing - great selection, quality, quantity,value and taste; good atmosphere, good staff, good location, will go again

TBergerud, Guest Relations Manager at Louise Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time write this lovely review and share your experience with other travelers. We constantly strive to improve our services and it is always refreshing to receive positive comments from our guests, so thank you!.
We look forward to see you again soon!

Most sincerely,

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Visited Norway for our anniversary. The restaurant looked promising so we went in, and we're glad we did. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and the service was quick but not rushed. Had cocktails followed by dinner. Without describing every dish in detail, suffice it to say that everything was tasty and well presented. I would definitely recommend Louise for all but the most formal dining.

TBergerud, Guest Relations Manager at Louise Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We strive to make each meal enjoyable and when we accomplish that goal we have done our job.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback and hope to see you back the next time you are in town.

Regards

Reviewed November 18, 2013

It has reasonable prices for a light lunch (I think it is expensive for a strong dinner)
We order salmon salad and shrimp toast, plus a beer: around 40 €
The food was Ok, good quality. The terrace is very nice, in the brygge, nice views.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and atmosphere, and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards