“Excellent New Courses”

Ranked #17 of 1,592 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Alex Sushi in Solli Plass square in Oslo is one of the city's finer sushi restaurants. The interior is modern and stylish with an open kitchen area where guests sit around an oval table, watching the mastery of the sushi chefs at work. The menu includes a fascinating number of ingredients, with some exotic highlights for the more adventurous. The service is relaxed, knowledgeable and friendly. An excellent wine list complements the food, with vintage varieties mainly from France and Italy.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Previous visits to Alex Sushi invariably involved going for one of their menus (The Red, The Black etc). These were good but did present some difficulties for me. One problem was that there was too much food. Another was that I am more sashimi inclined than sushi inclined. With the new choices now available, these difficulties are no more!

The two of us started by sharing some Hamachi and some Kveite sashimi. The sauces they came with were excellent. I particularly liked the ponzu sauce. Why can't Nobu make such good sauces? (I can still hardly believe Nobu food is as crap as it is - see my reviews).

We then shared The Long Travel menu. This was a terrific mix of sashimi, tofu, sushi, crunchy fried things and the like. Nice-tasting green veggie stuff too. Given our starter, it was absolutely sufficient to share this menu. All washed down with the waitress's excellent choice of white wines.

Alex is up there with the best of the Japanese restaurants that I have been to and certainly provides a viable alternative to the the wonderful Dinings in London.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent Sushimi - good service - good place and good scenery!
A definitely recommended restaurant in Oslo.

1  Thank Asma2
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Alex Sushi continuously demonstrates excellent food and class. The quality of the fish and food are excellent. Choosing the red or black menu can never go wrong. We love to enjoy dinner by the sushi bar, watching the chefs create some amazing designs. You get hungry and want to eat, great to be able to say that the taste supports the look. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Arrived 10 minutes before last order and the waitress had no qualms about it. She showed me in to the sushi bar area where I ordered ALOT of sushi. After all, it came highly recommended.

I was not disappointed. I must have had one of my best sushi meals ever! Great Hamashi and Salmon sushi. The best tasting toro sushi I have ever had (was not even on the menu, but I was promptly served it when I asked for it). The deep fried salmon skin role was also incredible. Even my miso soup was a delight!

Service was great, ambience high marks.

Highly recommended restaurant, sure not to be skipped on your visit to Oslo.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Best sushi in Oslo, hands down. Pricey, of course (it is Norway), but the quality of the sushi and presentation is outstanding. Service is better, and more helpful, than most places in Oslo. Probably the only place in the world outside of Japan that you can have whale sushi legally (Norway's "research" program allows some whale meat to reach the market). Whale sushi is not terribly tasty, by the way.