“So over rated”
Review of Theatercafeen

Theatercafeen
Reserve with OpenTable
Theatercafeen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,543 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Norwegian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Lively and unique... Theatercafeen is part of Norwegian cultural history and an absolute must for every visitor to Oslo. We have been one of the city's most popular places to eat and meet for more than 100 years. You will feel at home in our buzzing atmosphere. This is a relaxed place, equally appropriate for drinking a glass of wine or for dining. Our bar counter provides a pleasant option if you are on your own. Inside the restaurant you can see a unique collection of portrait paintings, all portraying people who are, or have been, regular guests at Theatercafeen. Our chambre séparée or private room seats up to 36 people and is a perfect venue for smaller events. Reservations recommended.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were here on a Saturday evening and everyone has to come in at the same time. So first you have to wait in line to be seated. As it was very busy due to the start of the Christmas tables in Norway we were also packed to the tables next to us. When you get the menu be sure you order an apperative as you have to wait very long before they order food and wine. But when you order your food you have your starter and main within 30 minutes, this was crazy. We did not even finish our first glass of wine before the main course was served. The food was good but not something you can not make yourself at home. The portion are very small so a man would probably still be hungry when leaving this restaurant. But the thing that shocked me most was that we asked for the bill they asked if our coats were in the wardrobe and they actually charged us NOK 200 (around € 2,50) per coat!!! Why ask money for this when the food is already so expensive??
Due to the lines, the food that was served so fast and the charge for our coat we really missed the exclusive dinner feeling you would expect when paying NOK 2 500 for a dinner.

1  Thank Brenda S

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My company held a Christmas banquet at Theatercafeen.

The seating arrangement was ridiculous: we had reserved well in advance, yet 19 people were squeezed around two tables, each of which was designed to sit no more than 7 guests. We hardly had any space to eat.

Service was awful: the waiters had no idea of who had ordered what and guests had to pass around food platters themselves, as the waiters were unable to get around the tables due to lack of space. While I would be inclined to condone this in a family restaurant, I find it unacceptable in an establishment that prides itself of being one a high quality restaurant.

Food was mediocre at best: one of the starters was a ridiculous chèvre salad, that anyone without could have put together in his own kitchen. The main courses were simple mediocre. We could have got the same quality for 1/2 of Theatercafeen's price in any other establishment in Oslo.

I had ordered a vegetarian meal and was presented with a tasteless blend of "risoni" pasta and vegetables. It was clear to me that the cook had not put any thought or effort into it. I sent it back and was presented with a dish purportedly based on truffles. The dish was however a sad remake of the same "risoni" pasta with chemical truffle essence. No trace of real truffle was to be found in the dish!

I had ordered creme brûlée for dessert but had to put up with a profiterole that was more salty than sweet! I had a taste of my wife's creme brûlée: it had a sickening eggy taste. My wife actually felt sick.

In my view, this place lives on an undeserved reputation.

5  Thank gianlcoslo
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a high class highly acclaimed stylish restaurant in Central Oslo. The food quality was very good, but in such a high quality restaurant, and at the prices charged, the service was not as excellent as it should have been, and one felt a bit neglected at times. Probably there should have been more staff. Wine is very expensive, and although I ordered a white wine, which was served at a cool temperature, it was just left on my table during the meal, and not put in a cooler. Reservations are to be advised, as it can get very busy. So not as impressed as I expected to be.

1  Thank M G
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had an excellent meal in this unique and quirky restaurant, the quality of the fish dishes was a very high standard. This place is a credit to Oslo, its a pity the hotel to which it is attached is way below average.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Excellent food, drinks and service. The best location and good atmosphere. Reminds me of Balthazar in NYC. Interesting guests.