“Classy Dining”
Review of Theatercafeen

Reserve with OpenTable
Theatercafeen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,587 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Norwegian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Lively and unique... Theatercafeen is part of Norwegian cultural history and an absolute must for every visitor to Oslo. We have been one of the city's most popular places to eat and meet for more than 100 years. You will feel at home in our buzzing atmosphere. This is a relaxed place, equally appropriate for drinking a glass of wine or for dining. Our bar counter provides a pleasant option if you are on your own. Inside the restaurant you can see a unique collection of portrait paintings, all portraying people who are, or have been, regular guests at Theatercafeen. Our chambre séparée or private room seats up to 36 people and is a perfect venue for smaller events. Reservations recommended.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

While my husband and I were staying at the Continental Hotel we decided to dine at this restaurant which was in the hotel. The restaurant could be reached by walking through the lobby and entrance way where there was a cloakroom with an attendant.

We had read about Theatrecafeen and it looked interesting. It had a grand Viennese atmosphere about it. This family restaurant has been in the family for generations. We had asked at the reception about the restaurant and the receptionist telephoned through to the restaurant and reserved a table for us for the present time..

The entrance to the restaurant in the lobby had photographs of many people who were actors and had probably played at the National Theatre across the street and then dined in the restaurant. There were 81 portraits of authors, actors, painters, photographers, musicians, and composers. A lot of political figures also dine here.

We were met by the head waiter and were shown to a table for two. We were asked what we would like to drink and handed menus. The server brought our wine and a jug of water. He filled our wine glasses and continued to do this throughout the meal. Unfortunately, I was a slow drinker so my husband got quite a lot of the wine!

We placed our food orders after much deliberation. We did not have to wait too long for our starters or our main course. The server was very attentive throughout the meal.

Throughout our meal a pianist was playing in the gallery above which gave a lovely atmosphere to the dining experience. This restaurant was full of old world charm and well worth a visit. The food was good and the prices not too high for such an establishment. As the tables were quite spread out people were not too close together and could dine quietly.

The toilets were located downstairs, beautifully decorated and well maintained.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Had dinner here in April. Both my friend and I really enjoyed our dinners and the room is lovely. The woman who served us was very friendly and the service is good. The restaurant is right across the street from the National Theater which seems to be the center of transport in Oslo. No views but still most enjoyable. Charged a fair amount for coat checking. Would have kept mine if I had known

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Dined here recently with colleagues, and was very satisfied. Mostly traditional classics such as 'steak frites', but excellent fish as well. A place 'to see and be seen', popular with politicians, actors and business people. Not to mention desserts 'to die for'.

Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A well appointed brasserie in the Continental Hotel. The turbot I had for my main course was one of my favorite dishes in a two week vacation span. Lovely wait staff....only nitpick they charged you on your bill for the coatcheck!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

A great place for people watching. All the whose who of Norway eat in this restaurant. Why? The food is excellent and the room is charming. The evening after I had dinner in the restaurant a member of Bruce Springsteen's band had dinner there. It is a restaurant for special occasions and work lunches. Have the cauliflower soup, it was so good I wanted to have it as my entire meal. I loved this restaurant.