“The place to go for Italian-style food in Oslo”

Baltazar Ristorante & Enoteca
Ranked #137 of 1,465 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Oslo, Norway
“The place to go for Italian-style food in Oslo”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My workplace is just a few hundred meters away. I come here frequently both with family, friends and in a work-capacity. While the restaurant proper (upstairs) is for special occasions, the enoteca (downstairs) is more informal and suitable for dining any day. The atmosphere is relaxed, food excellent (from the same kitchen as the more pricey restaurant upstairs) and the waiters normally knowledgeable. They also know their way around the substantial wine-list.
The trattoria in the church courtyard is a good choice for lunch on a sunny day, especially if you can find a table in the shade of one of the trees. The service is normally slow, don't go if you're in a hurry!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank cocobellococo

• Turkish first
“Nice lunch-restaurant”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We sat outside in the sunshine, which is an absolute perfect quiet oasis just out of the busy main-street in Oslo. Dunno' what it's like inside because I never ventured there.

The restaurant is an italian-style restaurant with all dishes and beer (even sparkling water) of Italian origin.

Had a very nice pasta which was perfectly cooked and tasted very good.

• Visited May 2012
Hovik, Norway
“Enoteca - perfect food”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We went there after a theatre performance. Arriving almost at closing time for the kitchen, we had been advised to order before arrival. The food as well as the wines( very good wine cellar, which you can see parts of through the glass floor....!!! ) was very good. The servants as well. We enjoyed a perfect "late night" dinner, but my lemon dessort was not the best. Where was the lemon touch ? Go there - the restaurant is definetely worth a visit

• Visited March 2012
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I used to visit Baltazar quite regularly some years ago. I found Dag Tjersland's cuisine inspired and inspiring, Italy at its very best in Oslo. It is possible that it still can be excellent, but on my last visit, my experience was like this: We chose to eat alla carte, apparently much to our waiter's dismay. It was clearly expected that we choose the set menu, and on hindsight, I realise that's what we should have done. We waited 55 minutes for our first course, a tasty but unexciting gnocchi with sweetbread, radicchio and smoked apple puré. The secondo was organic duck with quince puré and gnocchi. It was outrageously overcooked, grey and dry, and did not look appetizing on the plate.
Italian cheeses were very good, as was our wine, the Sicilian Harmonium 2004 from Firriato (it's amazing how good Sicilian wine has become).
The chocolate soufflé with truffle ice cream was clearly the highlight of the meal, particularly the intriguing ice cream.
Service was distant, and tepid at best.
It may be that the set menu would have been a different experience. But that doesn't make things better. Don't do alla carte if you don't mean it!
Sadly, this was probably my farewell to Baltazar. At least, I will need to hear good news before I return.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank ArneOslo_Norway
“A very good restaurant”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have had dinner here many many times. And never once have I been dissapointed. The restaurant has two differnet areas inside. Downstairs you can have a pizza, pasta or a limited a la carte menu - upstairs there are set menus and a place for a more special occation or if you just want a really nice meal :)

The Italian wine selection is huge and the sommeliers here are very knowledgeable.

A dinner at Baltazar is always a nice dinner! But remember to book a table - very often a busy place!

• Visited November 2011