“Great food.”

Klosteret Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 1,582 Restaurants in Oslo
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Klosteret is situated in central Oslo - Hammersborg, beside the Deichmanske Main Library. The menu has a wonderful combination of continental and French dishes and the wine list is impressively diverse. The name Klosteret translates as The Monastery and there is a touch of the divine in the old brick arches lit by hundreds of candles and wonderfully calm atmosphere. A unique setting for a meal with colleagues, a romantic evening out or for guests from abroad - an unforgettable experience. The restaurant also has a Chambre Separée for private parties.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a very romantic restaurant, so it is a good place for couples. There were also others there, groups of friends etc.

We both had a three course meal, put together from the menu. The food was of very good quality, and had an incredible good taste. There was a large wine-list, and the wine we were recommended was absolutely fine.

Not too expensive when you get so great food!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went there for an anniversary dinner and had an a la carte menu to choose from. The atmosphere was nice and charming, aside from a bit disturbing church music constantly playing in the background, but what would you expect, it is a cloisters restaurant. The waiter was nice and spoke decent English, as we thought. When we got our first course, I ordered Terrine of foie-gras and pork shank with blood orange marmelade, but did not get what was written in the description of the dish. Instead it was just fried foie-gras with a piece of toast--pretty dissapointing. The main course was more of a disaster then the appetizer. We have ordered two dishes, one of which was a trout with beets and some pure (don't recall the exact dish). Instead, I got a fried filet of cod with peanuts and jerusalem artichoke. Since it was very dark in the restaurant, I did not spot the difference right away and the waiter did explain the dish (the dish that I originally ordered but did not get). As I first tried it, I figured out that it was not the correct fish, and after a few bites we found out that it was a completely different dish. I though that oh well, since we already had a taste, it is somewhat uncomfortable to ask for a replacement. But, the dish was so overpowering with salt that we ended up asking for a replacement. After 25-30 minutes of waiting, after my bf has already finished his main course, I have gotten the dish I have first ordered. Unfortunately, as was the problem with dish number 1, the amount of salt was really generous and for me, very overpowering. I ended up eating less then half of the dish, and drank Lots of water during and after. The desserts were OK. We got a fondant and a berry clafuti, the fondant, even better, we make ourselves at home, berry clafuti was decent, but nothing spectacular.
We would definitely not go back and would not recommend it, from our own experience.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The ambiance is quite nice. But the food is only very average, not far away from the one some make at home. It's not bad, but that's just not worth the price at all. The waiters and waitresses are nice except one, the Asian lady is too directive and should attend the training "how should I behave towards other waiters in front of the guests". The 1st bottle of wine, that I picked myseld was ok. The second, which was recommended by the Asian lady was not.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

They really know how to pair food and wine. This romantic cellar with candles and Gregorian music was the perfect place to celebrate my birthday. The restaurant is great both for pleasure and business.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This restaurant has really food and the chocolate desserts are really something. It is situated down in a basement and you are surrounded by candles and brick walls. Very romantic, but noisy at Christmas season.