“A necessary blessing”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Buxton, United Kingdom
“A necessary blessing”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

After arriving at the saga hotel quite late I was left with little choice but to try the st. Raw restaurant in the hotel, and I am very glad I did. First off, as a caution, it's not cheap, but then I suspect there may not be a translation for 'cheap' in Norwegian! However, value was excellent. I chose the chefs recommendation for N350 and it was very well worth the money. Sashimi to start, then a wonderful deep fried lobster which I could have eaten all evening. Nigiri to follow which as part of a multi course meal was fine, but if I had ordered it on its own, I might have thought was a little parsimonious. But to finish a glory of a miki, with the lobster making a welcome return, paired beautifully with just the right amount of rice and cucumber. But wonderful though the food was, the atmosphere and service were better. There are not many places as a single business traveller you can feel at one and relaxed. Here you could, thanks to the friendly but restrained servo ice from both the waitress and chef, and the wonderful background music (Jamie Woon!). Beer of course was pricy, and no sake which was a shame. A total bill of about 530 seems a lot, but it was great and I would recommend.

Oslo
“The best sushi in Oslo?”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

You enter St.Raw through the lobby of Saga Hotel, and then go down to the basement. My wife and I were out on a date night, and turned out we were up for a treat.
We got served by a japanese waitress, who although new at her job, offered great service and pleasant conversation.

We ordered the omakase, setting a price of 500 per head, and got treated to an abundance of tasty and beautifully arranged dishes.

Fairly good wine chart, which should cover most tastes. The wines are slightly cheaper than most Oslo restaurants. A bit short on the beer front - they got Heineken and Tiger as far as I understood. I'd like to see that they either get some japanese dry beers or a selection of beers from the smaller norwegian breweries.

This is the best sushi experience I've had in Oslo, and would recommend it to anyone!

Oslo, Norway
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The hidden Sushi star in Oslo West”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Saint Raw is a new Sushi restaurant in Oslo. Google guided us to a recent review by newspaper Dagbladet that looked too good to be true. St Raw is well hidden in the basement of Saga Hotel. Hard to find and difficult to book, but absolutely worth that challenge. We selected their "state a price menu" and had an outstanding Sushi experience at a reasonable price. The food was served rapidly since it was few guests in the restaurant. The staff speaks Japanese, English, Scandinavian which makes it easy to find the right food. The food looks and tastes extremely fresh. Having eaten at the "best" Sushi places in Oslo and London I find St Raw a hidden Sushi star. It was as good as the "too good to be true" newspaper review stated. The prices on food, wine and beer is low priced to be Oslo. The interior style is minimalistic contemporary. A cool place! We realized that you can order takeaway.

My recommendation is to send an email to book a table, or to show up without booking. Don't call! They have lots of tables but the kitchen capacity seems to be somewhat limited so beware of waiting time if the place is full. The female waiter from Japan had her first day at work and was not up to speed on the menu but she was knowledgeable on all dishes that we got, very service minded and had charm that compensated for the rest. The rest of the staff was very experienced and also had both charm and knowledge.

We highly recommend St Raw for people that like fresh food.

Houston, Texas
“Great sushi”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We chose the menu option where you just name your price and the chef creates a menu based on that. It was excellent! The waiter was also very friendly and helpful. Good prices on their wines as well.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Cknut
“Late night sushi”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having arrived rather late in the evening, we decided not to venture further thanthe St. Raw located downstairs in the Saga hotel. And we were pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and the quality of the sushi we were offered despite the almost past closing hour.

• Visited June 2014