“Absolutely delicious food”

Ranked #13 of 1,595 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Norwegian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sentrum
Description: At Den Glade Gris, the food is prepared according to the slow-cooking method. Here you can enjoy good food and good drinks at a reasonable price. Slow cooking is a cooking method that makes the food tasty and incredibly tender, Grilled pork knuckle is our signature dish, but we also have several other dishes from Norwegian cuisine. If you want to drink a special beer, try Voss Pale Ale or one of our other 80 types of beer.
Reviewed August 23, 2016

Thank you for a totally delicious pork! I was just searching for a good place to eat today in Oslo and was passing by an unknown place, where everyone sitting outside of the restaurant had the same dish... huge, deliciously looking piece of meat. I am a fish-veggies-healthy-eating-kind-of-person... but I could not simply resist trying this dish. It was pure joy to be served a huge piece of pork with delicious french fries and veggies. And the owner is so very much welcoming of everyone. :-)

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,588)

Reviewed August 12, 2016 via mobile

Step right up, don't be shy. Service is friendly and food is tasty - almost everyone around us was tucking into the 'knuckle' dish, or as I would describe it, a food mountain.

The management is clearly proud of its cooking and frequently sits with guests to speak about the food. This adds to the atmosphere and experience. The menu is varied - we took bangers and mash, as well as the neck of pork. There's hints here of 'man vs food' in the emphasis on the softness of the meat. The vegetables and sauce add a local touch. We were impressed.

We would have liked a slightly more attentive service and a little music, perhaps. Otherwise, this spot is ideal for hungry visitors.

Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

So far they have the best Akevitt I tried in town which is called "Ribbe Akevitt". It has a light sweet herbal refreshing taste.

Pig knuckle is also the best in town. I fancy their pulled pork burger quite a bit as well.

One good tip: remember to bring a large empty stomach.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Gaelle_lo
Reviewed August 3, 2016 via mobile

Super friendly staff and delicious food! Your belly will be full and happy. We sat outside facing a park while our daughter snoozed away in her stroller. Located just outside the royal palace and a few blocks from the main shopping street, Karl Johans Gate. The pork knuckle dish here is a must!

Reviewed August 2, 2016

We were 7 persons walking here to eat dinner. The waiter took the order, and forgot it, so it took about an hour before we get food. But when we got food, it tasted very good. And if you are interested in beer, they have more than 100 different types of beer here.

Date of visit: July 2016
TonyDonovan, Eier at Den Glade Gris, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2016

Hi Jan,

I am the waiter who forgot your order on the day you were here with us and I would like to apologise for my forgetfulness. On the day in question we were extremely busy as Bruce Springsteen was playing a concert in Oslo and at the time you arrived we were in a rather stressful situation as we were waiting for more staff to come to help us. I know this is of no help now but i would just like to explain the situation and apologise again that your experience with us was not up to the standards we like to set for ourselves. I appreciate the review and am extremely glad that you enjoyed the food you ate (when it finally arrived :-)
I hope this experience wont put you off from visiting us again the next time you are in Oslo and if i am working if you come back i promise i wont forget anything and you will be treated as VIPs.

Best Regards