“Waited for three hours without a peep from the staff.”

Stena Line Metropolitan, Stena Saga
Ranked #1,025 of 1,428 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oslo
“Waited for three hours without a peep from the staff.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Things happen, but making senior citizens wait in an exceptionally cold waiting area is not only unfriendly but downright dangerous.

The boat was delayed from Denmark. Fair enough, but making people wait for three hours in Oslo without saying a word of when and why, and then expecting them to wait in a ridiculously cold and unheated area was appalling.

I bundled up and am not a senior citizen, but seriously began to wonder about the other passengers. It must have been 4c/40f in the hall according to the app on my phone. Astonishing how long we waited and no one complained.

I've had relatively good experiences with Stena, but this was unacceptable. When politely asked on the boat why the boat was late, the staff was very unfriendly and said engine trouble, but it looked like they were restocking the shelves and no other passengers came off when the boat landed. Bizarre.

Visited January 2014

Spain
“Complimentary Trip after bad service complaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

After my first trip with a very bad hospitality service from the buffet restaurant staff, i complained to Stena Line, surprisingly to have been given complimentary trip with an upgraded room and Brimi dinner. I have to say that I did note the marked improvement from the staff, room and food service.

Only downer was the cleanliness of the toilet. Room was good.

For a first timer with cruises, I guess if you pay a bit more you get a better quality of fellow cruisers around you.
But Stena itself gets a better rating this time round, especially that they have taken pride in acknowledging the complaint, good customer service and a better rating on trip advisor.

I do recommend the Brimi Dinner, the buffet restaurant for breakfast, and the SPA.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Asma2
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No, no , no!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Lets take it from the start: The check in is like being thrown back to the DDR with rude staff and furthermore it takes ages. The waiting hall is from the 80's with a shabby bar in the corner that serves beers in plastic glasses.
The boat it self are completely out-dated and when you have to for instance the shops to the bars, you have to go around and where peoples cabinns are to get there. I mean... seriously? The food you can get there is just rubbish and again from the 80's. The staff of course rude all along and whomever it is. I will also say, that the norwegians - going nuts when they see normal alcohol prizes - ruins everything when it comes to having just wee bit good time. They are drunk, puking, breaking things and I dont know what. Of course a fascinating display of our cultural differences.
Then there is the cabinns. I I have tried the Captains - the best there is apparently and again: Back to the 80's with a cabinn that is just not good at all and the TV in the very far corner and so small u cant see anything anyway. Its not clean, the bathroom a joke and the lounge is shabby.

When I think of the competition from the other major lines operating in the area: Color Line and DFDS, this is by far the worst.

• Visited April 2013
Pleyben, France
“Rude staff, old and dirty boat”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I traveled from Frederikshavn to Oslo, and return, to attend an exhibition in Oslo. We had freight in a trailer, and were treated very well by the freight office.
However, once on board this boat it was awful. The staff were extremely rude, the ship is dirty and old, in desperate need of a bit of a makeover. The security or staff do not control the passengers. Very badly run ship. We will not be using this Line again. But will instead go for the other ship line that travels a similar route.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kiki d
Spain
“Hospitality of Minus Zero”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having booked a Salsa trip on the Stena Saga with extra buffet dinner and breakfast, we were allowed to board the ship at 19h30. Having dropped our bags off in the cabin and making our way tot he restaurant, we stood in a queue to be let into the restaurant at 20h15. Just helping ourselves to starters and settling in, we were suddenly approached by a rude waitor to be advised rather sternly that the service will be closed at 9pm.
Naturally shocked that we were not pre-warned when we enterred, that there would be a second seating at 9pm, nor that we had only 45 minutes to eat a 3 or 4 course meal, we went off to get our main course and dessert, under the impression that food will not be served after this time. The restaurant was barely half full. And all the people in tables around us were treated in the same rude manner.

The waitor suddenly appeared again, warning us in a rude way that we have to leave the table at 9pm sharp, leaving us with 15 minutes to eat up main course, dessert and have our coffee.
We, along with all the others around us who were told the same, asked if we were to leaving our meals and get out? The waitors replied - sorry but yes.

We tried to eat up, but we barely finished our meals. The table of 10 beside us, could barely get started on their main course and we being told that if they do not leave, the security would be called. Two minutes later 2 security guys arrived to put these people out.

Oursleves and people around us, were 40 plus, not under the infuence of alcohol and decent people who have paid for a buffet dinner, just barely having had the first course.

Stena Line's services was atrocious. It put the rest of the trip to shame, because nothing else was enjoyable following their extremely rude and uninviting bahviour. They may appear inexpensive, but I can only put them down to a cheap line with an even "cheaper" service.

I do not recommend travel on this line.

• Visited June 2013