“Trendy and different”
Review of THE THIEF

THE THIEF
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had the chance to stay here on a business trip recently for one night, and it met my expectation of being trendy and different ...if you want a "cool" place to stay in Oslo that isn't in the downtown area or has a unique atmosphere this is a good choice. Bordering on arty-pretentious , the hotel would do well to focus on the basics which they get right but a little charmless. Reception was friendly but a little functional, the room was comfortable but nothing spectacular and the bar/restaurant for breakfast was good. However, the sleep quality was not great as the tv/electric console light was on and the sound of people in the hall disturbed my slumber.

The art and decor is the "star attraction" here and the odd name and location, but that seems to be the idea behind the brand. I might stay here for a relaxed weekend in town with friend's for relaxing as opposed to business. And it really was a change from the SAS Radisson or Thon hotel ubiquity and boring decor... But the staff could be trained a little more professionally or maybe introduce some touches that make it less self conscious and more cozy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dominic G, Manager at THE THIEF, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Greetings and many thanks for your comments concerning The Thief . .We´re extremely proud of our art profile and our sponsorship of the Astrup Fearnley museum . We also have the privilege of an exchange program with the museum . These superb works are a real art lovers adventure of discovery as you walk around the hotel .As you know we´re a new property and very willing and eager to listen to our guests and always looking to improve the quality of our service. Your constructive criticism and positive remarks will be forwarded to my colleagues . Very much looking forward to your return

There are newer reviews for THE THIEF

Reviewed March 17, 2013

A good hotel, but not without its faults.

Let me start by saying that this is certainly the best hotel I’ve stayed at in Norway. It is a very new hotel, and there was much hype about the start of the opening of a true five star hotel in Oslo.

The hotel is located in the deliciously posh Tjuvholmen neighborhood of Oslo. And it boasts many great restaurants and cafes in the nearby areas, in addition to the Astrup Fearnly museum, and gorgeous views of the fjord.

It is clear from the moment one enters that the hotel is going for a very upscale and refined attitude, while also being artistic and fashion forward. The design is simply divine, with great attention to details to keep it modern and witty.

I stayed in a superior room. It was spacious and beautifully designed. The former being quite unsual for hotels in Scandinavia. There is plenty of closet space, and the most surprising thing of all: there’s a safe! While a safe is a basic commodity at most hotels around the world, it is very, very unusual for a hotel in Norway. I find this element really compliments the aspirations of the hotel to be a luxury hotel on an international scale.

As part of the modern touches of the hotel, the room is equipped with a Samsung Galaxy tablet which can be used to browse the internet, but also to control the TV, order movies on demand, room service, and the like. The room also has a Nespresso coffee machine.

An innovative idea, which I really liked was the in room shopping, which allows one to buy designer shirts, ties, undergarments, cufflinks, skin care products, and even Thief branded condoms. There are key pads on either side of the bed with different light settings, from bedtime, to waking up, to full light. This was very refreshing. I’ve seen this done before, but not as well as it was done here.

The hotel does not yet have a gym or spa, but I was told at check-in that they are in the process of building one. In the meantime, the hotel can arrange in-room massages.

Now unto the issues that really would take this hotel to the next level:

First of all, the shower door doesn’t cover the whole shower which can be an issue if one is sharing the room with someone who is not one’s partner, but more than that, water goes everywhere in the bathroom. This is a real functionality problem.

In the desire to modernize the hotel, they might have taken it a bit too far by combining the Heat/AC and the Do Not Disturb/Make Up Room on an electronic key pad, which is unclear. In fact, I thought I had marked it to have the room made, but when I returned from being out it hadn’t been done. I asked the maid, and she thought I had been in my room the whole time. I asked her about the display, and she explained how it should be used, but this is something that shouldn’t be explained. Especially to a technically savvy 25 year old.

Another issue of design functionality, is that the lobby flooring is highly polished marble or granite. It’s beautiful, but extremely dangerous for guests coming into the hotel with snowy and wet shoes – which, what do you know, is extremely common in Oslo. The hotel’s location should call for a different floor finish which does not jeopardize the guest’s safety.

Lastly, the hotel does not have a parking agreement with QPark, which services the Tjuvholmen area. Charging for parking is not uncommon for luxury hotels in major cities, but a daily rate with in/out flexibility for hotel guests just makes sense.

Overall, the hotel is on the right track, and is certainly the most luxurious and modern hotel in the city, not only in terms of design but also service. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank IAH88

Greetings and many thanks for taking the time to review our property . We´re very glad that you enjoyed your stay and your comments concerning the standard and quality of The Thief are very pleasing . We feel that we have provided a modern and exciting alternative to both national and international guests visiting Oslo . Your comments concerning the floor of both the lobby area and shower have been noted and much appreciated . Will forward your thoughts to my colleagues and very proud that you consider The Thief to be your best hotel stay in Norway .
Looking forward to your return

Dominic Gorham

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been staying at this amazing hotel 2 times, even doough I live in the city, but it is such a nice little get away from the evereyday life. Everything is stunning about this hotel, the rooms, the lobby, the food and the bar - everything is way better than anything else in Oslo.
I left the hotel, both times very happy, but the hotel charged my visa card double both times. This made me feel a litte unsure of if there are any security problems with the payment method, not a good feeling. I got a gift card after the first time and I was happy to come back- only to experience the same thing again. Then I was promised another gift card, but I never received it. Sad, because I loved this hotel and had planned to rent the suite for my birthday in the summer. Imagine The Thief in the summer..must be loveli.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Line B
Dominic G, Manager at THE THIEF, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Greetings and many thanks for your review of our property . Your positive comments are very good to read and i will forward your thoughts to all my colleagues . Where payment is concerned this an issue we take very seriously and i will follow up on your feedback and you will hear from us in the very near future . Very glad that you have found a home from home in your own city and looking forward to your birthday celebration with us this Summer . It´s sure to be a memorable one

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was trumpeted as a supposed messiah for an otherwise lacking first class hotel in Oslo. To be honest it is nothing special there is too much emphasis on a supposed 'style'. Like most things in Norway it lacks that "A" factor in is no way what I would deem luxurious. It panders to the 'trendy' crowd but lacks a certain class and seems to be aimed at the 'new money brigade', The location is tucked away and has the feel of a modern office block from the outside. It trades on its supposed prestigious location but frankly the area is ugly with a hotch potch of glass and metal built monstrosities that will look dated in 10 years. It totally lacks atmosphere! Also the prices of rooms are exorbitant completely over the top. I suggest the management take a good look at the reception area it is about as warm and welcoming as a morgue with a very dingy atmosphere. Overal a big disappointment and offers very little value for money. I would not recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Michael G
Dominic G, Manager at THE THIEF, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Greetings and many thanks for taking the time to review our property . As a member of the management team i will take all your comments into consideration and forward to my colleagues . As a new hotel we have had a tremendous start and hope that you will contact me personally on your return to the city

Reviewed March 12, 2013

An amazing hotel. Beautifully decorated, excellent staff, very good food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Lovely location. The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in for years.

Conference room on the top floor was excellent also. Good WiFi speeds and beautiful views.

Overall I couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mathunaCork

Greetings and many thanks of your wonderful review of our property . Will forward your positive thoughts to my colleagues . The quality and comfort of the beds at The Thief has been a recurring theme with our guests and one were very proud of . Looking forward to your return

Reviewed February 25, 2013

OK what a fantastic surprise.
After spending several nights every year in Oslo for the last 15 years. I was getting used to pay lot, and recieve less.
The Thief is different from you enter the little island of Tjuvholmen
Still in the high end price, but finally value for money. The Thief is quality from parking, the reception, the bar, the rooms, even dinner is good. I had the same feeling as if it was The Soho House hotel in NY.
Honestly I cant wait to have an excuse to get back to Oslo

Thanks Petter :-)

Jakob

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Greetings and many thanks for your positive feedback concerning our property . We have worked very hard to make a difference and glad that our effort made your stay a memorable one . Your comparison with one of the best hotels in NY is very humbling and i will forward your thoughts to my colleagues . Looking forward to you finding an excuse to return to The Thief

PS : Peter says hi

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed a weekend at The Thief mid February and it was a pleasant experience.
The check-in was smooth, and as this is a brand new hotel, the general feel was fresh.
I wouldnt consider it a 5 star hotel, but at least it challenges the top hotels in Oslo.
The room was decent sized, with Geneva sound system, tablet as well as large flat screen TV.
The iron that is in the room, is unfortunately not up to standard, but managed to borrow a steam iron from the front desk.
The bar serves great drinks and good service, although was slightly surprised by the small bar area.
Restaurant food was ok but nothing more.

Conclusion: If in Oslo, it's well worth a stay, but don't expect a premium luxury experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Mads J
Dominic G, Manager at THE THIEF, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Greetings and many thanks for your review . Were constantly improving our services and valuable feedback concerning the hotel and your stay is essential . Glad we could provide your with a steam iron and in future if you need any garments ironed please don´t hesitate to ask our staff . Looking forward to your return