“A Trip I Will Remember”

109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“A Trip I Will Remember”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I took the train from Oslo to Bergen as a part of the Norway in a Nutshell excursion. This was my first time traveling on a train and I enjoyed every minute. The coach car I rode in accommodated about 30 people and I was one of four adults along with three children who rode in the coach. I traveled from Oslo to Flam on this train and then met up with this train again in Voss to travel the remainder of the way into Bergen. I was very impressed with the playroom that was available for children.to keep them occupied during the ride. I did not visit the Cafe on board as I packed a "traveler's lunch" from my hotel's buffet breakfast that morning to eat on the train. The scenery on this train ride was gorgeous. Since I traveled in the autumn, I was priviledged to see the green still left fro summer, the changing colors of the leaves, and the harsh beginnings of winter at the higher elevations. I would definitely recommend this travel to anyone who has the time to travel in this mode from Oslo to Bergen or in the opposite. This provided a wonderful introduction to my Hurtigruten Cruise.

Visited October 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Scenic”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We took train from Bergen to Oslo with a detour for Flam railway. We could not book ticket online as there were some issues with the website, however, we could buy tickets at the Bergen train station easily. The staff at the ticket office was very helpful and provided suggestion on where to buy tickets (ie from the ticket office or ticket machine for the best prices!). If you do not have PIN for your credit card, then you may face problems in booking tickets at the ticket office.

The overall tour was great and very scenic, though tunnels on the way disrupted the continuous views outside. On our way from Myrdal to Oslo, the train stops at a station with great views of glaciers and snow-clad mountains. It was a lovely journey and would recommend this train ride to anybody.

3 Thank NewExplorer99
Pune
222 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Scenic Journey”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This trip was from Bergen to Oslo. The route is very scenic and the numerous tunnels keep interrupting! It is difficult to take pictures sitting next to the windows because of the glass glare. We did a similar journey in New Zealand from Christchurch to Greymouth which was certainly more exciting and scenic. This train had an extra coach with open sides from where photographers could take photographs. However the journey was comfortable and the train reached Oslo dot on time. Do not miss this when you are in Norway.

1 Thank SUSHIL_BALI
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Scenic (by European Standards?) and On-Time”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I took this trip largely for the scenery, but also as part of Norway in a Nutshell. The trip is scenic, but it definitely isn't as interesting as the California Zephyr on Amtrak (and some of the other US long distances trains). There are tons of tunnels and snow sheds which obstruct the view a fair bit of the time in much of the higher elevations. The Bergen Railway reaches about 4000 ft whereas the California Zephyr hits 9000+ ft. While the route is scenic, it is structured more as a commuter rail with a cafe (if taking the trip from Oslo to Bergen .... shorter distance trains running on the line don't have the cafe). While the windows are large, there is no lounge car like you would have on an Amtrak long distance route. Overall the train was on-time and the cars were quite modern (again on the long distance train ... short distance trains are fairly old). We had a few delays for oncoming trains, but arrived on-time.

Food: Food prices in the cafe car are comparable to restaurants around Norway (so very expensive by US standards). To save some money, buy something at a grocery before boarding like the locals.

Komfort Class: Unless you really want free coffee/tea/hot chocolate, AVOID NSB Komfort Class. The seats are exactly the same (at least in my experience) as the regular coach seats and assigned and I wasn't able to move to another seat. I ended up in a terrible set-up at a table of four (4 strangers). I didn't have much leg room as it was shared with the person opposite me. On another part of the trip, I was seated in a regular coach seat which is structured like an airplane with very generous legroom. It was much more comfortable and enjoyable. The coach car didn't seem to have any of the awkward table set-ups.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank aviation_fanatic
Mumbai
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Splendid & Superb”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Dont forget to get a good camera with you.......... The train takes you through forests, mountains, lakes and river. Its like a cross country train takes you from eastern to western norway showing some stunning beauty of nature. If you are in Norway or planning to visit Norway, dont miss this journey. The train is fantastic with wide windows to cherish your eyes!

1 Thank Kanagalekar