“I had very good stay”

Ranked #4 of 20 Oslo B&B and Inns
Rimini
“I had very good stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I higly recommend to sleep here if you want to save some money, it's the cheapest hostel in Olso.
The single room was very big and clean, quiet place, clean bathroom, very helpfull staff. The room was warm, with a fridge, heather, TV and very fast internet.
Two clean bathrooms in the downstair floor where i was, and a sauna too.
Very good position: 5 min walking from tram stop and 10-15 min from subway stop.
It's not requested to pay at your arrival, you can pay whenever you want.
They give you a code to enter in the Villa at every time.
If I will come back in Oslo i will for sure sleep again here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pujols86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I did read the reviews before booking 5 nights at the Villa Frogner in Oslo and I made sure to communicate with the owners before hand that I was not a Norwegian speaker. I also mentioned that I had been to Oslo before (wouldn't be expecting directions etc.) and was willing to pay cash as needed.
There are two older gentlemen who run the place, the owner and his manager and if you show up at dinner time or in the evening you will have to call them for the door code. (Thus yes a mobile which works in Europe would be necessary.) In the morning's, afternoons, and some evenings they are around to prepare the breakfast and will answer any questions, chat, or offer help as needed. If they aren't around and there is something you need, they'd just like you to call or leave a note if it's not urgent. Otherwise you have the place to yourself.
The large house is somewhat elegant if antiquated and the room I had was like a studio apartment with 3 double beds. The neighbourhood and location are fantastic. Step out of tram 12 from Oslo Central station at the Vigelandsparken stop. It's just around the corner. I enjoyed my stay at this Bed and Breakfast and was allowed to invite a family guest with no extra cost or fuss.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephen-Dedaleus
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 7, 2011

OK - I DEFINITELY should have read Tripadvisor before booking this place! Unfortunately I didn't know about it, but just went by the website which though simple, looked appealing. It had no link giving reviews from guests, and I honestly did not expect negative reviews from what I saw on the site. Don't be fooled by the website!!!

I should have paid more attention to the first "hint" of bad service when I first booked! I was obviously hoping it was a bad day for the guy. I initially booked 1 room for three online two months prior to needing the accommodation, but within 24hours, prior to getting a confirmation, we decided to go for 2 rooms. I decided to call to inform them of our change of plans thinking it would be easier. The man answered the phone without saying his name, or stating it was "Villa Frogner". I had to ask who I was talking to, and got a cold response, then telling me they couldn't change my booking by phone, but I had to write an email! Assuming I had come to reception in the Villa I couldn't understand why they couldn't just change the information in their computer! I agreed to write an email though it was more work to explain and I was somewhat confused by their attitude!

The day we were to arrive, I got a call confirming we were coming and asking when we were arriving. I thought that was ok, though again - the communication was abrupt on the phone.

We arrived at the place only to find the office locked, no-one around and no information telling guests what to do. Thankfully I had received the door code with my booking confirmation. I called the number on the door of the office, and talked to the person that had called me (the manager!) and was told I should call him up again in 5 mins and just to wait!!!!! Where should we wait i asked? (on the doorstep with all our luggage after driving for hours, and having picked up my friends from the airport having flown from the other side of the world!) There was only 2 chairs in the hallway, and I already had a bad feeling after the phone conversations I had. We were all tired and hungry and received no welcome to this place at all!

A few minutes later from the back of the house comes a guy who was obviously painting! No "welcome or smiles" either but he said to follow him in.. He found a key in an envelope on a table in the hall and took us to one of the rooms on the other side of the house - where he was painting in the bathroom. T.V was on (no comment as to what). He said very little and didn't offer to help with carrying anything. He said he would be finished painting in a while... The room was plenty big enough, beds made etc, newly renovated but small bathroom.

The curtains and day bed covers were old and shabby, as was all the furniture. Old tv, small leaky fridge, two light bulbs that didn't work and plastic plant full of dust! No closet or anywhere to hang clothes. This room felt like an "add on" as you had to pass through the back door which had locks on it, go up stairs to only that room which overlooked a bunch of junk in the yard below (belonging to the Villa!) I later found out there was no over-mattress on the bed and I could feel the springs when I lay on the bed to sleep! However, I did sleep reasonably despite this.

My friends room - completely on the other side of the house, was nice enough though smaller than min, with a little balcony, a satisfactory bathroom and a closet. Again pretty shabby in some of the furnishing, but clean enough...

I'm not sure why we weren't given rooms together when I asked for it, and we booked 2 months earlier. I was rather irritated at not having internet in my room seeing it's advertised as free throughout on the website! The response from the owner was - if you have a mac it will work in your room!! Well, - I have a mac and it doesn't work on it, or my iPhone! Oh - was the only response I got! There was little effort to correct the situation, except to say they have had problems in that room (of course - it's almost outside) and I only got asked if I could rather just use the internet in my friends room, or change rooms with them! Unbelievable. NO, I said - we both need to use the internet, and we will not be in each others room all the time when we both need to use internet!

No information pack or booklets were available to find our way around the city either. Asking where eating places, and directions and attractions/maps were was like a big hassle and the boy trying to help us (a foreigner who barely spoke English) had the task to take care of us and inform us of everything relating to both house and town. Poor him. a sweet guy who was placed in the wrong job. He was the maid, maintenance guy, fixed and cleaned up breakfast and did everything while the manage just sat on his butt in the office on the internet "when" he was there!

I don't blame the young guy at all. How could he be expected to explain everything when he barely could speak English. He hardly knew Oslo seeing he'd only been in the country 6months, and couldn't be blamed for not knowing where everything was, but the lack of service and getting the response "just ask if you need something" when we knew nothing was crazy! To have to ask - when is breakfast, is there a washing machine, can we make food or coffee/tea, was all information that could have easily been printed up and in our rooms to avoid such irritation. Brochures on local attractions etc is also an "obvious" for a place like this!

The service was UNBELIEVABLY bad. I was embarrassed to have my friends stay here and pay so much (I live in Norway).

Breakfast was a basic continental with cereal, bread and spread - the same every day (we were there 4 days) and there was only instant coffee and earl grey tea. Neither appeal to me. I would have though it standard to have a coffee machine at least.

The location and ease to tram, the city and the local shopping area was all great, as well as the known Vigerlands park.

The actual Villa was lovely but very overpriced for everything we didn't get! There wasn't even anyone there at "check out" to take our key or check how our stay was!

There was a definite "lack" of a woman's presence in that place in every area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank uiotraveller87

Travelers are raving about these Oslo hotels

Washington DC
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We had a nice stay at the Villa Frogner, but I'm not sure that I'm comfortable giving it an enthusiastic recommendation to other travelers. Owner/manager Andreas is a sweet, goofy and absent-minded host--friendly, but not tremendously helpful. We asked him for advice on what to see in Oslo, and he pulled out a map to show us various sights--and after each one told us it was not particularly interesting. (Ultimately, he concluded that nothing in Oslo was very interesting.) He gave us a code for the free wireless, but it turned out to be the Administrator password and couldn't be used in our room. He also failed to mention that there was a code to open the front door of the building when we returned in the evening. Fortunately, another guest was sitting on the steps and was able to let us in.

The room itself was very large. It was a tad shabby, with sort of a mish-mash of furnishings that looked as though they might have been the leftovers from somebody's household--but we found it very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and modern but very small--you had to stand in the shower stall in order to use the toilet.

We loved the location of Villa Frogner. It was on a beautiful, quiet and very upscale residential street, but just a block from tram and bus stops that take you all over the city, and right across the street from the famous sculpture garden. It is not in the center of the city, but we actually appreciated the location--it meant we could get away from the crowds of tourists into "our" neighborhood. More than once we walked home (about 25 minutes from the center) and discovered some really charming streets and restaurants that we otherwise would not have seen if we had stayed in the center of Oslo.

The self-service breakfast was adequate but unremarkable. Overall, we think that Andreas has his heart in the right place but needs to pay more attention to details and customer service in order to make this a 4-star establishment. Due to the location, size of the room and overall comfort, we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank wbpld
Scotland
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Ive never written a review before good or bad but feel I should warn people from staying here. We arrived and found our key lying on a desk in the hallway in an envelope with our room number and name at 4pm, no sign of any staff. The room was clean but very small with an even smaller shower room and toilet No room for a cupboard to put our clothes in just hooks and small bed side drawersThere was no information pack The following day the doors to the other rooms were open and we saw they were much bigger.maybe they paid more ? Breakfast was self service and pretty basic, nice room to eat in though We we came back at night the room hadnt been touched no clean towels so I went downstairs and asked a member of staff for towels he told me where the cupboard was to help myself, as if I should know. There was only one towel in there. We went out into the very spacious garden for a drink and read then came back in to find the front door locked so we rung the bell to be told by the same member of staff why we didnt use the code "what code " I asked we hadnt been told anything So it went on.. no towels so I just helped myself No contact with staff until the day we left when he knocked and reminded us to pay and leave by 12
£358 for 3 nights Oslo prices!! Great location near Viggeland Park especially as I went to the Norwegian Wood Concert just bt the park and handy to see our son. We stayed the last night with him in his tiny apartment Service at Villa Frogner was non existent. Makes Scottish B&B service seem excellent in comparison (We live in Scotland )

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HighlandRob
VFBB, Manager at Villa Frogner B&B, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Dear guest,

We appologize for the service you got at out place. I don't know if it help to inform that the member of stuff you met has now been fired, because he did not perform a lot of tasks he was supposed to... The same reason why you did not get your room cleaned, by the way. We have a new chamber maid now who is increadably good and does her job very well.

We do have different room types. It depends on avalability which room you get. But if your have stayed with us and know which room you want, you can specify in your booking request.

I am surprised though that you have not recieved the kode from the door, as we normally send them by email or sms either together with booking confirmation or several days prior to arrival.
Norway
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Me and my boyfriend have visited Oslo severel times, and lived at our friends house. But this time we was thinking about living for our selves this weekend, nice and quietly, and also not so expensive. When I entered the website, there was prices and phone number to call villa frogner, and a booking email, that I was filling out and sent it at once, to see if anything was avaliable. I also called to look if there was anything avaliable, cus I had short of time to find a hotel. When they answered the phone there was a bad english speaking foreigner that did not speak norwegian at all,(by the way, im from Norway), unfortunately I was actually booking a room at Saga bed and breakfast, wich I did not know. so then I had a booking at both places. The reason was that the phone number covered both of the B&B motels. How stupid to not inform that in the website. Well, the fotos at the website was really nice, so I expected something at that standard! And also I had to pay more then the informed in the website..

I arrived with my partner, and the girl in the office, seemed to be really bothered that I asked some questions. Not even a welcome or a smile to give when were coming. Good beginning for the weekend.(LOL). the rooms we got was soo small, and the both sides of the beds, was so small that we nerly could not move. it was two SMALL single beds pushing together. One positive thing was that it was clean towles, and the sheets were clean. It was one poor poor chear in the corner, and a yellow ugly curtain that was centurys old!! and a lamp almost falling toghether.Not speeking of the bathroom. Oh my god. So small that when we was showering, the whole bathroom was covered in water.

The breakfast the next morning had to be good, cus I was so hungry! Well, we came down, and there was ten different jams, (well they was not saving on the jams)white cheese falling together cus it was so dry and awful. the bread was also dry. there was one slice of salami left. yeah!!!
packing our stuff togheter leaving the poor motel.
gave the key to the girl in the office, almost not looking at me, with a poor voice, saying thank you fretfully.
I was actually so ashamed of here. She dont want to have any guests, or what is here problem? This was not worth the money at all!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vero_006
Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2007

The city of Oslo is wonderful, there are great things to see and do there. Don't spoil it by staying at this so called bed and breakfast. The rooms were not taken care of, the shower curtains were moldy, the floors were not clean and the entire place could use a complete remodeling. Besides being a firetrap electrically, the staff was not very helpful, there was nothing in the way of any beverages available during the night as with any places we've stayed before. The so called continental
breakfast was a disgrace, They had orange juice, loaves of bread to put in the toaster, and some tubes of some type of spread to put on the toast. Then they had some type of cereal that looked like bird seed. Then when we checked out, they had the nerve to try and overcharge us, which we didn't happen.
Please stay anywhere but here, as all they are looking for is a fast buck in a cheap dump. I don't usually write reviews like this, but they left me no choice. There are many other nicer places to stay. Don't be fooled by the pictures on their website either.

• Liked — Close to the center of the city.
  • Disliked — The condition of the place and the unfriendliness of the owner.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank azdad27