“Just what we wanted!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
London, United Kingdom
“Just what we wanted!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is exactly our type of hotel; modern, clean and friendly with an excellent breakfast. At Oslo prices it was also reasonably priced. Good points included great hotel staff in both the reception and breakfast service, environmentally friendly policies, quirky design, no noise from hotel or outside despite central location and varied a buffet breakfast. One downside for us was that the cleaning staff brought in fresh towels everyday without taking away used ones so that we ended up with a pile of about 12 towels upon departure! This was a shame as we only stayed for 4 days and would have been happy with the original towels in the first place (which would have fit with the hotels environmentally friendly outlook). Tea/coffee making facilities in the room would have been a bonus but unlimited tea/coffee was available in the reception area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Olav L, Daglig leder at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
My dear guest ReviewerAA, from London.
Just what we wanted as well- thank you for your kind feedback and top score! Hope to see you both back as my guests soon again. Best regards Olav, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Despite all the good reviews I obviously had a totally different experience. After travelling for several hours and getting to the hotel about 9pm the quirky self check-in didnt work. We were then helped and given a room key. Our room had a single duvet and 1 pillow, not much cop for 2 big guys! So we got our room changed to the furthest away room in the entire hotel. We thought perhaps the first room had been a single so our double would be bigger, oh no it was not to be! The bedroom had a double bed, a desk & chair, an open style wardrobe and about 1ft on all sides to move around. The room had a miniscule window that would not open, and heating that never seemed to get cool enough. The bathroom was roomy and pleasant, apart from there was no light switch and we do not know how long it took to go off but the 10cm gap under the door made sure we knew it was still on, so popping to the toilet in the night at least gave light to get back into bed. The duvets were light but fine as the room was hot. The pillow was awful, light and flimsy and gave no support for 4 nights. I dont think I had one nights sleep I would term as "nice".
We stayed 4 nights and our room was not cleaned until after 3 nights. I had to find a staff member and ask for clean towels after 2 nights as we had used them numerous times already and fresh ones were needed, but our room had been cleaned. So our room was only cleaned once in a 4 night stay, this is unacceptable! We made sure were out during the day from 10am to 5pm when we came back for a nap before the evening. 7 hours should be enough time to get to the room.
Breakfast was nice, well cooked and lots of choice across hot, cold and fruit. Luckily we breakfasted early but people coming down 30 mins after us were queuing for a table as there was nowhere near enough for all the guests staying.
I loved Oslo, but I was not impressed by the hotel.
The location is perfect as it is right by the station.
I think the fire alarm at 2.30am was a little out of the control of the hotel staff, but they handled it well and we were back inside fairly quickly.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
My dear guest Jared W.
I note happily that your score on visited Oslo's attractions are all good. It pleases me, since we all wish guests visiting Oslo to have good days in the city. First, I`ll make a recommendation for you and readers at TA; always complaining of mistakes during your stay. It is the best way for us as the operators to assist immediately.

Having said that I hereby ask you to contact me directly, so I can apologize and support you in this matter. We have as per today obviously not met your expectations, this I must do something about. Thereby I hope you will contact me while reading my response, so I get the opportunity to show you both a better side of my hotel. Look forward to your e-mail. Best regards Olav Langli, hotel manager.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel is great value for money and so conveniently located from those coming in via central station. Going anywhere around Oslo is easy from where it is located, public transport right in front. The hotel staff is young and enthusiastic, and so friendly and helpful it was just a pleasure to arrive to after a long train journey from Bergen. They are knowledgeable about the city and will really help you as a visitor find your way to the good spots.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

My dear guest Rogerio3008, from Melbourne
Thank you for staying with us, your smooth feedback and the 5 of 5 rating. Your kind feedback motivates us to read more, learn more and smile even more…..Thank you!
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

When you finally work out how to get into the hotel via the station you are pleasantly surprised. the reception area like the rest of the hotel is quirky with invitations to check yourself in, if no one is available. The best way to describe the room would be that it has a warehouse feel, the ceilings were very high, the pictures on the walls were very funky and the bathroom was big enough to hold a party. I enjoyed my stay here, despite the long hours of daylight the windows kept the noise out and the curtains the light. The breakfast was very good but again the staff were quirky in their approach. The location was excellent, easy to get to from the airport and close to the main eating and shopping with the double decker tourist bus out the front. For an expensive city this was very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
My dear guest CatherineLCanberra from Canberra,
Thank you for staying with us Catherine. Loved reading you experience from a stay with us. Glad you liked the hotel and we hope to see you as our guest soon again. Thank you.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a 24-hour stopover in Oslo after a week further North and booked in for a night here. Very close to the station, from where it is easy to get a train to and from the airport. I think we might've booked a 'superior' room, which was on the top floor so very quiet. Room was airy and clean and bathroom was very spacious! The girl at the desk was very helpful when we asked for advice about where to go in the evening - we ended up walking to the harbour and making our way back towards Karl Johans Gate, stopping off for a drink in various bars and found some live music along the way so had a great evening (it was a Friday, so lots going on, good lively atmosphere). Maybe it's best not to think about how much you're spending (a pint and G+T ranged from about £16-18 per round!! Eek). Breakfast in the hotel was good. I think they are carrying out some construction works in or around the hotel - we did not hear any disturbance from this but did manage to get lost in the corridors once or twice! Might be easier with rooms on lower floors though. All in all a good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor very quiet, despite the hotel being being so central
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My dear guest rh311, from UK.
Thank you both for staying with us. I really appreciate your kind Oslo city vibe and cool feedback. The location to Comfort Hotel Grand Central is a good one`, and after only 2 years in operation we still are surprised on a daily basis of the silence during a night-time in the hotel, …located at a central station. Glad you liked the hotel and we hope to see you both here soon again. Welcome.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Basically, I came to stay here after running away from a hostel because it didn't feel safe (Sentrum Pensjonat...look it up, it was really something), and I thought it was great!
The lady at reception was lovely, really friendly and helpful, even though I came running in at 7pm (probably looking pretty ruffled and disreputable), and whilst it wasn't the cheapest, I thought just over £100 for an on-the-spot booking really wasn't that bad (especially not for Oslo).
Room was not huge (but not cramped), but clean and nicely designed. The free wifi was fast, the bedwas comfy and the shower was good. The breakfast was absolutely awesome.
Overall a really nice place :)

• Stayed April 2014
My dear guest S1041, from Edinburgh
Thank you for choosing us this early morning. I really appreciate your kind feedback and I`m humble and grateful for your 5 of 5 rating. Thank you. We look forward seeing you again here at Comfort Hotel Grand Central. And the best booking deals you`ll find on our web page. Especially within the campaign periods.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location. Very Nice staff. Rooms are wide and clean. The perfect option in Oslo. 2 minutes walking from the Opera and central station. Breakfast complete, varied and delicious. Do not miss the scrambled eggs and the bacon, both are superb! The Italian restaurant of the hotel is a very good option for dinner. I had a delicious pasta there. If I ever come back to Oslo this hotel will be with no doubt my option. It will not disappoint you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
My dear guest Bondi78,
Thank you for staying with us, for your 5 of 5 score and kind feedback. We already look forward seeing you soon again here at Comfort Hotel Grand Central. Thank you!