“GREAT !!!”

Comfort Hotel Grand Central
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great hotel, very clean and very good location to visit Oslo !!!
the breakfast and the restaurant was very good !!!
The staff was wonderful and hepfull expecially Hans and Emelie...
Our trip was fantastic and this hotel too !!

Room Tip: the room 330 was very big and you have a wondeful view to the opera and the sea
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Amadine R

THANK YOU!
I`m glad you loved my Comfort Hotel Grand Central and the city of Oslo.
My colleague’s Hans and Emelie will be given a high 5` and a personally bonus from the hotel as a thank you.

We all looking forward seeing you both soon again! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Very nice hotel at the center of Oslo. So close the Oslo train center. Old building and modern designing. Smiley personnel, good breakfast, very big room, nice working desk at the room. Free and speedy wi-fi, free coffee at the lobby.

- little bit noisy bed
- heating system not enough. I sometimes cold.
- little bit expensive hotel
- No wardrobe

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear gertyum
Thank you for your kind feedback during your business stay with us. We`re glad you appreciate the hotel and hope you’re coming back soon as our guest.
My response to your good comments:
- The room is checked, bed fixed. Thanks to you.
- Temperature adjusted to winter season Thank you!
- Expensive. I feel we`re a mid-rated hotel. Tip: Look after campaign periods on web.
- Wardrobe. Will not be either, and my guest haven’t forgotten much either. The Lost & Found storage is the “smallest in the World”..
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and the room were nice and the location was excellent. However there were some problems.

First of all we couldn't switch off the heating which made for an uncomfortable seeping temperature. On the other hand there was no heating in the bathroom which got very chilly indeed.

The bed was also on the small side.

Breakfast though was very nice.

Dear jhamers
Thank you choosing Comfort Hotel Grand Central! I`m glad you like the hotel, rooms and the unique location. A apologize is needed! Your rooms was not correctly temperature adjusted during you stay. We unfortunately had a technical error that resulted in incorrect temperature. I promise you that the problem of automatically heating is solved.

Hope you can accept my personally apology to you and that you`re willing to give us a second try! Hope I see you soon again as my guest.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Hotel Comfort Hotel Grand Central

Getting there.
Google map beforehand to get an idea of what the hotel looks like from the outside and the surroundings. I arrived on a busy morning and took the wrong exit from the station. Fortunately I recognised the surroundings from the maps and was able to locate the hotel that was around a corner.

Take the train to Central Station from the Airport. It is far more convenient, cheaper and quicker than a taxi.
My colleague recommended registering my credit card in advance on the Norway website (flytoget.no) so at the station, I swiped my card at the barrier, chose the destination and that was it. An email was sent to me indicating the cost of travel. It's better than queuing, especially if you have no local currency.

The Hotel
Some would call this hotel minimalistic whilst others would say sparse. It depends on how you view the liquid in your glass.
I was surprised at how little the double room had to offer but in the 10 days I've stayed there, it had grown on me. The rooms were clean with the washroom and walk in shower providing hot water at a good water pressure.
Soap and shower gel are via wall mounted dispensers. Items like toothpaste and toothbrushes are available at reception and are complimentary.
I recall a previous trip advisor recommending you have to swipe the room card to lock the door when you leave. This was good advice and I endorse the point. The room doesn't automatically lock when you leave and you have to touch the door pad with the card to lock the door.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room though there is complimentary coffee and tea available at reception. With hindsight, just bring a thermal mug and fill up to take to the room.
I would have liked a fridge and safe in the room. I use the fridges to buy cold meats, drinks and bread for times I really just prefer a sandwich on an evening.
The room I was in was quiet. I recall a previous comment mentioning music downstairs but I never noticed or heard any loud music from the hotel. During the weekend, there were some buskers outside the hotel that were a bit of a pain but the double windows managed to keep out most of the noise. All went quiet about 16:00.
TV provided local stations but no international TV. Nowadays this isn't so much of a concern as the internet gives you your own selection. Internet is free at the hotel but you need to request a new password every three days.
There is a small desk in the room but it is a bit too small to work on. Its modern design has false rivets that go around the edge of the table and unfortunately across the top of the desk. Means your laptop does not sit correctly on the desk. No good if you need to work on an evening.
I don't see the point of changing bed linen every day (do you at home?) I left a note to say the towels and linen could be changed every 2-3 days. Towels were changed if you didn't leave them on the bath rack.

There is a breakfast bar that serves scrambled eggs, tomatoes and bacon. A cold buffet offers meats, fish and cereal. It is a good breakfast selection that will cater for all. On an evening, the breakfast room becomes an Italian restaurant (separate review.) Good food but beware that it is separate from the hotel so you cannot bill things to your room.
The Hotel has a 24-hour gym (for those with jet lag I guess.) 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical steppers, a cycle and a couple of multi gym trainers. There's a rack of dumbbells that I never saw used. It was never crowded and it's ideal for cardio training whilst away from home. Ceiling is not high enough to use a skipping rope.

The Area
Outside are restaurants, kebab shops, and a fish and chip shop. The 'Chippy' has to be the wonderful surprise of the trip. The location is only about 200m from the hotel and at 95 NOK, excellent value for money when you compare this to the price of other food in the area (separate review.)
There is a shopping centre near to the hotel that has other restaurants, eating places and a small supermarket. So there is a varied selection of eating places rather than going 3-course Italian every night. Outside for quick foods and takeaways, the price is around 100NOK. Restaurants would be at least 3 times that.
The End
I think what the hotel offers is pretty much 'the norm' for around these parts.
Would I stop again? Yes, whilst being only 100m from the office, the hotel is a good business retreat but not really the sort of place for a family with kids to stop for a holiday. Room was clean, quiet and warm, or cold depending on how you set the thermostat.
Finally, I do recommend reading the room notification for emergency exits. There was a power cut and whilst the corridor had emergency lighting, the rooms and stairs to ground floor did not. Finally, the years of me carrying a small torch in my bag and enduring countless ridicule from the wife 'why do you always carry junk in your bag?' came to fruition as I was able to get my torch and make my way downstairs. On being assured the place wasn't burning down and power being restored within a few hours, I went back upstairs leading the way to others that had tried to use mobile phone lights but had failed miserably. I went back to sleep with a grin...the torch in my bag was worth its weight. As for the rubber door wedge....well that's another story....

Room Tip: Rooms 331 & 332 are near the lifts
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Woowoo101

Dear Woowoo101
Thank you choosing to stay with us!
This was the longest feedback ever. Magic! I have to personally thank you for the commitment of writing so detailed and well, solely for my future guests will have the best. easiest and clearest possible way and stay with Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

I'm so sorry that the power was out in the area this night. This was an incident outside our control.

I have read all of your words, and then let my feedback summarized ending with a big thank you. Welcome back!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Negatives: The rooms are very noisy: these is a major construction site in the central rail way station + there is many renovations going on in several floors in the hotel. The room main doors are like paper, you can hear people speaking in the corridore. Rooms are cold in the winter time, reception said it takes 2 hours every time you enter the room the heating to start up. Rooms are way too small in this price range, normal room cost over 300 € per night. You have to pay extra to get your room before 3 PM, at least we had to. Positives: Good location, easy access from airport express train, near Opera house. Trendy interior. Fast and free internet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JarmoPulkkinen

Dear JarmoPulkkinen
Thank you choosing to stay with us!
Your stay with us, where you wanted to sleep in the daytime was unfortunately disturbed. The reason is ironically that we that week changed all hotel room doors - to make it even better and quieter for our guests.

So the ability to sleep these hours at daytime was quite frankly impossible.
So if you contact me at your next Oslo travel I will make sure everything goes quiet, qualitatively for you and yours as my guests: I'm so sorry!

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, ideally situated in centre of Oslo. We arrived by bus from Rygge airport and it was so easy to find from the bus station. Staff were friendly and very helpful, decor is original and tasteful - all set in an impressive train station building. Buffet breakfast was one of the highlights - huge array of choice, all fresh and plentiful. Room was spacious although we were a little disappointed with two singles pushed together in a 'double' room. It was also quite cold in the room given the time of year (despite having heating on highest setting) and perhaps some complimentary water in the room wouldn't have gone amiss. Late check out on a Sunday is a real bonus - although staff should notify guests that the key cards time out in the morning to save the hassle of trekking to the room only to discover you can't get in!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gracie_travels

Dear Gracie_ Travels.
Thank you for staying with us, and for the superb feedback. Your headline titles “Cool, comfy, central” way win the internal award this year- we (myself and the staff) all LOVED it!
Super Sunday with a 6pm check out includes in the room rate is a important SOP for my hotel. I`ve checked the case, thanks to, you regards the key problem. It’s fixed for the future. Thank you!
Glad you both liked the breakfast. Hoping you tested the homemade Jam, It’s my favorite!
Welcome back you Oslo and the Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel's location is ideal, as it is located within the central railway station. No hassle as all when we arrive directly from Oslo Airport by train. The hotel is also within walking distance to all the major attractions in Oslo.

Check in area is casual, efficient, and the staff attending us is friendly. The standard room that we stayed in is spacious, especially its bathroom. The design of the room is funky, and refreshing. We enjoyed our stay there!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravellerSen

Dear TravellerSen
Thank you and your family for staying with us! All the way from Singapore. WOW!
We are a hotel for people on the go`, in leisure as in business travel. The Comfort Hotel Grand Central opened 30th of April 2012 and is thereby an unknown hotel in the marked. So all you kind words and comments helping us on the way to establish a guest marked for the future. I hope to see you all back as my guests soon to come. Welcome.