“Good hotel central location”

Comfort Hotel Grand Central
Ranked #18 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Sydney, Australia
“Good hotel central location”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central for 2 nights in March. The hotel is located in the station and at first was difficult to find. But if you go to the ground level and head towards the exit, it's on the left (walk through the italian restaurant) and you'll find the lobby. McDonalds is on the right. The italian restaurant is also were breakfast is served. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The hotel is situated literally within a 2 minute walk of the Opera House and is in easy walk of the major attractions in Oslo. My room was clean and comfortable. There was a lounge area, desk and large screen tv located on the lower floor along with the bathroom (with a shower only). THe bathroom was modern and clean with heated floors. The bedroom was located upstairs in the loft area with another large screen tv. The stairs may prove problematic for some as they are quite steep and made of steel. The bed was comfortable. The first night I became concerned as I could smell smoke through the air vent in the bedroom. I contacted reception who immediately checked out the surrounding area and even came into my room to ensure everything was ok. They assured me nothing was wrong. I could still smell it the next night but not as strong. Breakfast was good with the usual european selection. Being in the train station is very handy and I felt pretty safe there even with the usual beggars inside and out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear lovesolotravel,

Thank you for your stay with us in March! Your 2 floor room is created after inspiration of famous “studio apartments” in Brooklyn. We have 4 of these rooms.
But with 170 rooms and 113 different rooms you really have the opportunity to find your favorite room. Glad you like yours, but its good fun testing another one during a next stay with us.

I look forward seeing you soon again as my guest. Welcome!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in the King Suite with my partner around Christmas time. We had the most amazing experience.
The staff we extremely helpful and friendly, always very warm and welcoming.
I loved the decor, and walking through the halls was always a treat as there were so many fun little art pieces to discover on the walls.
The location was perfect with great views also.
I enjoyed the breakfast buffet and restaurant. Plenty of differrnt options to choose from and very delicious food.
The room was very clean and so spacious. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.
I will definately be staying again. The whole experience really made my holiday.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear jessfoenander and partner,
We are so happy your Holliday in Oslo and your stay at Comfort Hotel Grand central meet you expectations. We all look forward seeing you both soon again as our guests. Welcome!
oslo
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This middle class hotel is situated in the old Eastern railway station of Oslo. The rooms are former offices of the railway building. In fact, the reception desk is right into the old ticket hall, where people until the late 1980's were lining up for tickets to, among others, the crowded Easter traffic to the Norwegian mountain areas. The famous Bergen line, to mention just one of the favourite railway lines of Norway.

The former railway station hall was transformed into a shopping centre in 1993. Just in time for the 1994 Winter Olympics at Lillehammer, Norway. Another favourite destination for rail enthusiasts.

The Comfort Grand Central Hotel has a pretentious name. However, it is adequately furnished and makes a cosy and pleasant impression. Most rooms have view out to the railway station plaza or to the fjord with the new opera building (since 2008). The bathrooms are pleasant and roomy and the beds provide adequate and comfortable sleep. There is no noise from outside, despite of the central location of the hotel. It is just a 5 minutes walk to the airport train or to the entire railway network in Norway or abroad.

Breakfast is served in the Bella Bambini restaurant inside the hotel (actually, it is situated in a former waiting room of the railway station). However, there is an abundance of first class and middle class restaurants just 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel.

The hotel is recommended for train enthusiasts who want to have the "train feeling" in a building with sections dating back to 1854, at the time of the first railways in Norway.

Room Tip: Room 322 is a good tip with a nice view to the Oslofjord and the opera house.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank torolav
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Tor-Olav,

Thanks for you and your beloved wife Maria booked a stay with us.
I thought it was nice that you were greeted at check in by our dear owner of the hotel chain Nordic Choice Hotels, Petter Stordalen.

It is inspiring to guests who are so knowledgeable on the history of Oslo and Oestbanehallen. The building that houses our Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
We thank you for the information in your e-mail sent to the hotel afterwards, with much useful information for me and my beloved employees.

I promise to read my self up on the history, but I hope I get the chance to talk more to you about the history of this building again by another stay with us. Welcome back to you both.
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel one night in beginning of April.
Reception was like a 7-Eleven, with a kiosk behind the front desk. And I was told there is no minibar in the room. Got a room in the new wing, room 4hundredsomething. First of all, it was a long walk and I had to ask for direction due to lack of signs. Second, it was the smallest room I ever got in a hotel. Almost claustrophobic. The bed was taking 80% of the room space. The decor on the wall was some (what looks like) Korean characters with a Asian woman with her fist raised. Could it be North Korean?? Absolutely not to my liking. And another form of decor in the room and hallway was teared off pieces of old wallpaper glued to the wall. And in combination with something looking like tagging on the walls. The desk was a fall down desk from the wall, and the chair was looking like something from the 70ies. Not very comfortable. The TV was just above, so working on the computer and looking at TV at the same time was a challenge. The bed was nice and gave me a good sleep.

The bathroom looked new and was in a good size. I guess it was 1/3 of the bedroom size.

The Fitness room was located just above the reception, and if you where working out there you was on display for people down stairs.

Ate at the restaurant. It was average and over prized. 55 kr for 4 pieces of bread with aioli is ridiculous. Wine prices at 4-5 times the price at the Vinmonopolet is not very customer friendly. Would not eat there again. However, my colleague said the breakfast was decent.

First time I have been asked to pay for my room at check-in. Felt like a cheap motel, but for the price at more than 1400 kroner its not something I would return to if there is other options.

But at least the location was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Erling,

Thank you for staying with us here at Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
The art of Ariel McMillion creates the identity we want in this listed building from 1884. Some love the artwork, others not- that’s the beauty of art!

In Comfort Hotels we means that hotel minibars are ridiculously expensive, too expensive for you and expensive to operate for me. Buy rather a bottle of drink from my dear service crew to at NOK 20.

Your homemade focaccia and fresh aioli at NOK 55 at Bella Bambina Ristorante is calculated with an average and normal food cost. I respect your opinion, but we`re not an overpriced restaurant.

Hope you`ll stay with us soon again Erling.
Wish you all the best with your ferry cruise ship high-season soon to come.
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Average minus, it's a place to sleep, but not much more.
The Restaurant claims to be the best Italian in town. Well, it's not.

The breakfast buffet is poor compared with Scandic (Both Comfort and Scandic Grand Central is located in the complex of Oslo Central railway station, so I think it's fair to compare them). Only one type of bread, no sausages, lack of normal selection of jams, no-fat milk. Simply not as you expect.

The building is old, but the hotel is brand new and everything is renovated for the opening. So, why are there cracks in the flooring and walls of floor stand after a few months?

Have had different rooms, but all have the same wallpaper: A strange woman / fantasy creatures who, according to my taste certainly is not particularly pretty, looking down at you from different angles. Interior design involves strips of the same paper is glued up here and there on other painted walls. Not "my cup of tea", but maybe someone thinks this is trendy.

A sterile lobby decorated more like a reading than as a place to relax.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear OlavAnd,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. As General Manager I appreciate highly any input. It`s the only and best way to get better. Enhance and develop.

We have taken some conceptual choices, which you unfortunately dislike;

Yes, the breakfast has a smaller range. But better ingredients. We focus on sustainable food not quantity items that are only for decoration and not often used and ultimately discarded as waste. We throw way too much food in Norway. Our local contribution to the environment for the reduction of food waste is a smaller and better breakfast.
Yes, Jam buffet does not have 10 different varieties loaded with sugar, we have selected 1 homemade, with 1.2 kg fresh berries and 100 g fructose.

The wallpaper art of Ariel McMillion in many of my 170 rooms creates the identity we wanted. With art there is always opinions. Positive and negative -that's the beauty of art!

When you do some conceptual choices it means that some Love to stay here, others not.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a small single room. The room had the essentials: good bed, good tv, nice bathroom, a small desk and a chair. But it did'nt have anything else. No iron, no kettle, no shoe horn.
Breakfest was good, staff was nice, hotel was clean.

• Stayed March 2013
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Johan,
Thank you for your stay with us. And thank you for sharing your experience. As a reasonable newly opened hotel all extra input is appreciated.
You want kettle, shoe horn and ironing board. It is understandable if you use this a lot in hotels during you stay. But; We wish you as our guest welcome with 24 hour complimentary organic coffee and tea service in the lobby, and Norway’s most creative ironing room on the 2nd floor.

Very glad you liked the essential in a hotel, cleaning, healthy breakfast, good bed, 40 "TV and a good bathroom.
We look forward to welcoming you back to us Johan. All the best from Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
Derbyshire
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Found the hotel very easily (is in the train station - look for McDonald's and you're on the right track) and the location is absolutely superb. The staff are very attentive, friendly and lovely really!! All of them very welcoming and if only all staff were like this everywhere!!
The facilities to store the luggage are fantastic, realisable and I felt safe leaving my bags at the hotel as we had a late plane.
I was surprised with the room at first as it felt very expensive for what you actually get, as I wasn't keen on the art of if or the grey on the walls and the white writin which made it feel like it was 'cheaper' than it was. But the beds were incredibly comfortable, as were the duvets. The shower was fab, the only problem being there was no shower curtain or curtains over the window and even though no one can look in, when you move in the shower (it's like one big wet room) you can get a bit chilly cause nothing is keeping the hot air in.
The free wifi is fabulous, again very impressive along with free tea and coffee (just a shame they didn't have breakfast tea which I love!).
I wasn't a huge fan of breakfast because I'm quite a plain Jane so didn't find anything to suit me apart from cornflakes and I didn't like the teas on offer (again would much prefer a breakfast tea) but there is a healthy kick going on in the hotel so I understand why the teas are fruity. Also I would like some white bread as an option but that's purely just preference. My bf who is not fussy in the slightest loved breakfast :) again the kitchen staff were fantastic and do a great job. The hotel was very clean too, no complaints there. If I came to Oslo again I would choose to stop here. Many thanks to the wonderful staff again.

• Stayed April 2013
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear kmurphDerbyshire,

Thank you! It pleases me and my colleagues to read your kind feedback. I will share your words with all of my on site, because you motivate us with such kind words.
Hope we see you both soon again as our guests here at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central! Welcome back.