“Surprising and delicious!”
Review of Strand Restaurant

Strand Restaurant
Ranked #159 of 1,443 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tromso, Norway
“Surprising and delicious!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Tom Victor Gausdal, Bocuse d`argent 2005 is Chef and owner of this restaurant. THey also have their own bakery. When we arrived, we was heartly welcomed and the Chefs menu and the apprentiarships Menu was both presented by the waiter and in the menu. We was eating the Chefs menu, and a winepackage. This was a very good choice, the food was in totally good match with the wine. All the food was natural, and so was the wine. The menu was setup by regional food from whole of the country, Norway. The tastes and presentations is pure, natural and elegant.
The choises they do in food and wine combination is really impressive and surprising, in a good way. I was just smiling, and I felt like happy all through the meal.

I can heartly reccomend thid restaurant, it`s worth a visit!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank pema33

“Beautiful view”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Here you'll get a beautiful view of the sea and Strand Marina.
Lovely place to be in a warm summerday. Nice service in great atmosphere.

A very nice place for families with children as well as couples.
Also a football pitch right next to the restaurant.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank FyFazan
Oslo, Norway
“Good food, great service at a great price”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had a nice midweek dinner here with the wife. Lovely surroundings if you have transportation, it's quite a bit off the beaten track.
We had a drink while looking at menues, so it took 35 minutes before anything edible came to the table (except the drinks, which were brought swiftly). That was a tad long, as we were hungry.
We could chose between a "head chef's menu" or "trainee's menu". Chef menu is 3,5 or 7 courses - but you cannot chose which of the 7 courses you want if you only want 3 or 5. We didn't want the 7, and didn't prefer the 3 or 5 selected courses (would definitly chose a 5 course if we could mix and match), so we both chose the 3 course "trainee menu" at a VERY reasonable price.
We were served a few delicious amuse bouche first, and had the best bread (and gourmet butter) I ever tasted with the first course. All in all, the food was great for this price - but I hope and suspect the chef menu is more refined. Food was tasty, inventive, excellently presented and the wine pairing was all but dull and boring. Get ready for something different from the safe wine pairing choices - but it all worked well together! Will come back!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank kaldal
Oslo, Norway
“Charming restaurant that has lost its way?”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have been here many times over the past year. The atmosphere of this place is truly special, especially in the summer months, with a view overlooking the fjord. This past year they had a BBQ cook off on the front lawn, with celebrity chefs. Strand Restaurant certainly wants to be known for quality, and deliver on that. I also love the decor of the restaurant in general.

In 2012, I have eaten dinner here once, lunch once, and wine/cheese a couple of times. I have also been to the bakery at least a dozen times (a weekend tradition for us). Prior to summer 2012, the service was amazing and so was the food. I worry now that all of the star performers have disappeared. I haven't experienced bad food, but the service has definitely dropped a notch. No longer friendly smiles or prompt service. I know that one of their star chefs has disappeared to open a new restaurant in Oslo. For the prices, you expect top, friendly service as well as quality food.

Service at the bakery has become so slow, that we have stopped going on the weekends. The line was out the door and with one person behind the counter, you can just imagine the frusturation that built up. Whoever was behind the counter last time had no clue how to make hot cocoa. However, I do pop in here to by bread because it is soooo good and fresh.

I really love this place and want it to succeed, so I hope the management knows how their customers are feeling and can fix these things.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank GinNorway
Oslo Norway Scandinavia
“Was good, is now bad”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

When I wanted to write a review, the restaurant wasn'n on Tripadvisor. It's some time since we went there.
First time there-2011: Excellent. I'll never forget the cheese - part of a 7 course meal - with melted chees and crackers, not your average cheese platter...! Heavenly. Good food and good service, professional, knew their wines. All well and good - in 2011

Second time-2012: My husband got a piece of hard, pointy plastic in the food, and in his mouth. Luckily he noticed early, and was not hurt, or swallowed it! The waiter knew nothing about wine, gave us wrong info etc. Our vegetarian friend had something minuscule to eat , but had to pay full price.

Third time - 2012: The meat (entrecôte) was as if it was sliced in two lengthwise, that's how thin it was. Bad service, no knowledge of wine.
Our impression is that it is a snob place without having reason to be.
We have eaten in some of the world's finest restaurants, and have always been received with friendliness and made to feel welcome. That's not the case here.
(Now, Norway is not no. 1 in giving service, anywhere, but there are places in Norway that tops the friendliness and service her, easily)

I give it one more year, tops.

• Visited September 2012