“A great look back into history.”

The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History
Visit Oslo Pass
Ranked #5 of 399 things to do in Oslo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Norsk Folkemuseum shows how people lived in Norway from 1500 to the present through its collections from around the country. Among the highlights are the Stave Church from Gol, dating from 1200 and an apartment building with homes from the 20th Century. 160 historic buildings in the big Open-Air Museum represent different regions in Norway, different time periods, as well as differences between town and country, and social classes. Indoor exhibits present Norwegian heritage. The museum has a comprehensive activity program and is open all year.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Walking around these recreated structures gives you an idea of when Norway looked like over the past centuries. One of the highlights for me was to see the Stave church. We had seen one in its original site before and so even though this one was moved to Oslo, it is still impressive to think how long it has survived. Walking around and looking at the other buildings gives you a glimpse back in history.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Loved that this was an open air museum - and a lovely sunny day to enjoy it. Recreation of Norse history was complete with farm houses, outbuildings, people in costume, odd animals including the most placid fijord pony imaginable created an authentic feeling for visitors. There are craft demonstrations too- silver smith, weavers etc. Interesting for all ages.

1  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The cost of entry to this museum is about twice as much as the other main museums in Olso (120NOK) but once I was inside I could understand why. The interior museum alone is larger then almost all of the other historical museums and then there is the three major areas of the open air; Rural living, Urban living and the Stave church itself.
In all areas there are re-enactors to help answer any questions and the interior exhibitions are in both English and Norwegian which is helpful.
The only down side to my visit is that I came on a Monday which meant many of the crafts men and women were not there, leaving the urban environment a bit dull.
Still, my advice would be to go mid week with a picnic and enjoy a great day out!

1  Thank Thorslev
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my highlight of Olso. What an awesome concept. A king 100 years ago went and bought historical houses and building from all over Norway and plonked them into a park. There was traditional dresses and the staff were great. We got a free tour (anything free in Olso is a good thing) and learnt a lot. I saw a similar concept in Germany once but parks like this are a historical treasure.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I visited this museum on my last day in Norway, and very glad I did. I spent four hours here, didn't see everything fully and could only just tear myself away in time for a quick lunch and catch my train to the airport. There are 170 buildings and these cover all areas of the country with subtle regional variations of design of agricultural buildings. Explanatory details in Norwegian and English are very helpful. Don't miss the stave church, or the 'old town' with well set out rooms from 19th and 20th centuries to give a cameo of how Norwegian people have lived. I bought an excellent guidebook in English, and will read it before my next visit.

1  Thank nanstallon