“Don't expect too much”

and up
Visit Oslo Pass
Ranked #86 of 400 things to do in Oslo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We visited the museum on a Sunday and so it was free entry. Apart from that there is not so much more to say that would make it worth a visit. If short on time or not able to visit the museum on a Sunday - don't prioritize it!

The building itself is beautiful but most of the exhibitions was on the other end of the scale. Several rooms only contained some TV-monitors displaying some kind of noise/distortion and literally crap.

A good thing besides the free entrance was that you're allowed to "touch and feel", something that kids could enjoy.

There are newer reviews for National Museum - Museum of Contemporary Art

Reviewed May 5, 2013

First time in my life I encountered a National Museum with no permanent collection whatsoever. A beautiful old building with wonderful marble stair cases, art deco arches, decorated ceilings have a few rooms exhibiting absolute nonsense in the name of art as "temporary exhibit". I even asked if there is any room with permanent collection that I may have missed. No, I did not miss anything. It is a beautiful sunny day in Oslo and I have wasted half hour of it. If you really want to waste some time, try to go on Sunday when it is free. You will be very upset if you have to pay anything at all for this place.

1  Thank Purobi
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited here on a Sunday after reading good things in a guide book. It may be what's on display when I visited, as I believe the installations change.

As I came on a Sunday it was free entry, which helped. I would be disappointed if I had paid the 50NOK they charge. It was mostly video art and had only two or three permanent installations. Some of the video art I liked, most I was indifferent to. But this is personal to the individual.

I thought the lay out was a little confused. In my opinion it wasn't worth the entry fee.

1  Thank MysticManc
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The museum is situated in an old bank building, massive stone structure. It is a nice contrast to the art work exhibited. Not to be compared with contemporary art exhibitions elsewhere, but still very nice.

1  Thank BorgeOslo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you like contemporary art this is worth a visit.. some interesting things to see. Note this museum is free entry on sundays