“A disgraceful example of something with the word "museum" in its name.”

National Museum - Museum of Contemporary Art
Ranked #83 of 393 things to do in Oslo
San Francisco
196 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 432 helpful votes
“A disgraceful example of something with the word "museum" in its name.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

First time in my life I encountered a National Museum with no permanent collection whatsoever. A beautiful old building with wonderful marble stair cases, art deco arches, decorated ceilings have a few rooms exhibiting absolute nonsense in the name of art as "temporary exhibit". I even asked if there is any room with permanent collection that I may have missed. No, I did not miss anything. It is a beautiful sunny day in Oslo and I have wasted half hour of it. If you really want to waste some time, try to go on Sunday when it is free. You will be very upset if you have to pay anything at all for this place.

Visited April 2013

180 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Just ok.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited here on a Sunday after reading good things in a guide book. It may be what's on display when I visited, as I believe the installations change.

As I came on a Sunday it was free entry, which helped. I would be disappointed if I had paid the 50NOK they charge. It was mostly video art and had only two or three permanent installations. Some of the video art I liked, most I was indifferent to. But this is personal to the individual.

I thought the lay out was a little confused. In my opinion it wasn't worth the entry fee.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank MysticManc
Oslo, Norway
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Love the clash between the art and the building.”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The museum is situated in an old bank building, massive stone structure. It is a nice contrast to the art work exhibited. Not to be compared with contemporary art exhibitions elsewhere, but still very nice.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank BorgeOslo
Challans, France
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“interesting visit”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you like contemporary art this is worth a visit.. some interesting things to see. Note this museum is free entry on sundays

Visited September 2012