“Tasteful and exciting food, but overpriced”
Review of Maaemo

Maaemo
Ranked #2 of 1,480 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Bergen, Norway
“Tasteful and exciting food, but overpriced”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The food is delicious, and I love the way they experiment with the Scandinavian food and flavours and the way it is all presented. I must however agree with other reviewers in their request for more actual fish or meat. I have eaten on 2 and 3 Michelin starred restaurants in i.e. New York, and even with a full wine pairing and service on top, I would not have to pay the amount that you would have to pay for the "full meal" at Maaemo. Being aware that food is cheaper in NY than in Norway, the amount of actually costly dishes brought to the table at Maaemo is limited and the dish sizes are so small that even with 15 of them, I left satisfied, but not full. The main dish, and probably the reason I did not leave hungry, where two nutritious rolls with loads of lovely butter. In total butter was the main ingredient in many of the dishes. I.e. in a fantastic dessert of ice cream and three layers of "variations of butter":

Eating out on a "school night", we replaced the wine pairing with a few glasses of wine, but the waiter was really pushy in trying to convince us to have the full 10 glass wine pairing. Also when we were about to pay, the waiter suggested for us to pay a sum that was easily devided on three, and that left him with a lot of tip. "I think I have done a great job", he added. It was probably partly a joke, but he remained at the table whlist we tried to discretely discuss the bill. The service was actually quite ok, but compared to high-end restaurants in other contries, the service here was just above average, and the "pushy" style both regarding the wine and the gratuity, was inappropriate.

I hope that this restaurant take their various reviews into account, so that the full experience is worth the price, because the menu is really worth trying.

• Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Kuta, Indonesia
“Dissapointing for 2 * Michelin restaurant”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We were a company if six who dined at Maaemo yesterday evening. We had high expectations as the restaurant is awarded 2 Michelin stars. We were thoroughly disappointed soon after we arrived. The restaurant was loud despite relatively few tables with echoing and high volumes of chatter. Not relaxing at all! We were offered Champagne upon arriving, and were served a tiny serving with the glasses on the one side if the table filled half as much as the other side by a elderly blond female waitress who spoke so poor English no one in our company understood what she said when presenting the food for the entire evening. The 28 course menu was served in an artistic and creative fashion, and we thoroughly enjoyed 1/3 of the dishes. Of the remaining courses, we thought 1/3 was average and 1/3 was disappointing and certainly not deserving of Michelin restaurant rating. Three dishes were seafood inspired and one dish consisted of a tiny slice of duck. Otherwise there were no meat dishes which we all found very disappointing. They served 6 desert dishes which we also found was too much. We would have preferred a few extra meat dishes in stead. There was only a single unisex bathroom in the entire restaurant which resulted in long cues disrupting our meals. When the astronomical bill arrived to learned that they charged us an additional 11 euro per person for water! That we felt was excessively greedy. Also the tiny serving Champagne cost a whopping 24 euro per glass and a wine serving of not more that 10 ml. cost 20 euro per glass. I can honestly say that I cannot compare Maaemo to the Michelin star restaurants I have had the pleasure at dining at in other countries. All and all a disappointing dining experience!

12 Thank Ingemar_mi
Darmstadt, Germany
“High-end, innovative Scandinavian cooking”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

A lot has been written about Maaemo, so I will be brief and just summarize my main impressions. In short: this has been one of the best, and one of the three most inventive meals I ever had. Yes, it is expensive, but this is justified. Each and every single one of the more than 20 small courses that made up the menu was impressive, well thought out, perfectly executed and knowledgeably presented. The wine (and in some cases beer) pairing was inspired, topping up generous. The service is highly dedicated, yet relaxed and not stiff at all. The place is clearly heading for its third star. One warning: their concept entails that it is not easy for them to accommodate too many special requests. If you dislike many things or are allergic, specifically lactose-intolerant, I would not recommend you to go there. One of the aspects that impressed me most, was their highly innovative handling of traditional Norwegian dairy products. Obviously, these are hard to replace with lactose-free alternatives that are equally good. If you come with an open mind, this is certainly one of the most interesting places on the planet right now for food lovers.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Reiner H
Bergen
“New Norwegian cooking - a delight!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our visit to Maaemo was a delightful treat and well worth splashing out on. The taster menu with palate cleansers and extra treats comprised a well-composed whole, moving gradually from savory to sweet. Some of the dishes were inventive variations on locally sourced prime quality ingredients, and many of the dishes are very clearly inspired by traditional Norwegian dishes, from "matpakke" (packed lunch served on parchment paper, fun, but maybe not quite as exciting and whole lot more filling than other dishes), "rømmegrøt and spekekjøtt" (porridge cooked with sour cream served with cured meat), variation over cucumber salad (traditionally served with fatty fish, here without the fish), and a dish with Norwegian brown cheese frozen in liquid nitrogen. Elements were added or subtracted from the traditional dishes, modern techniques were applied, and it was all presented with great showmanship and visual appeal. The international staff were friendly, casual, and always attentive. After having eaten our way through the menu, we felt full and content, but not overly stuffed. The heaviest dish on the menu was the bread rolls for our "matpakke". There was very little meat, no fish, but oyster emulsion, crab and scallop on the menu when we visited. I would recommend anyone who loves inspired food tasting and great aesthetics and is ready to pay the price to visit. It is not the kind of restaurant you would want to visit too often if you want it too keep its magic, but for a treat once in a while it is exciting and fun! I hope they will manage to sustain the creativity, attract sufficient visitors and make a profit.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank luckyluke24
“Best restaurant exp in my life”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Me and my better half have been to quite a lot of restaurants, but this is the best so far. Yes it is extremely expensive, and we will probably never use this amount for a full night exp. again, but it was worth it.

It is best suited (IMHO) for couples and very special events. Getting a table is very hard. But I cannot stress it enough: it's worth it!