“Very central”

Best Western Karl Johan Hotell
Ranked #43 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The hotel is in an old building next to the Storting and right on the main street Karl Johan. This can be both good and bad. It is very central but can be quite noisy if you have a room facing the street. We stayed on the fifth floor but with a festival in the nearby park we could hear music late in the night in our room. The room itself was pretty spacious but there was a bad smell from the pipes in the bath tub. There is no air conditioning but there was a fan in the room which we didn't use as the weather was quite cool. The breakfast was ordinary but quite OK. The staff is overall friendly and we would stay at this hotel again on another visit to Oslo.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Karl Johan Hotell

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I checked in for three nights in May 2012.

The hotel is in a great location and is great for all the city centre attractions. The building itself is old but well maintained and he front desk staff are friendly and efficient.

The big down side for me was the room. I have stayed in hotels all over the world but this was the smallest room I have ever had. It was so small there was no room for a wardrobe or even a chest of drawers. I had to leave everything in my bag and just live out of that. I guess the room was about four meters by two meters. It can’t have been much bigger than that. In addition it looked out onto a kind of tiny central quadrangle that was entirely filled with noisy air conditioning plant. At night it was very warm but if I opened the window the roar of the air conditioning plant was disturbing. Not good.

The double rooms looked larger and more attractive but the single room I had was simply too small. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a single room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Bill W
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback for your stay in our hotel.

By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

We have 114 rooms and almost all are of different sizes. Based on your experience it sounds like you've got the smallest room we have. Sorry you experienced it the way you did.

My staff and I want to make our guests satisfied and have high standards of service and comfort.
Please accept my apology.

Sincerely
Leiv Roda

Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I were there the night the hot water system failed. It was an inconvenience but they discounted the room rate and it was not the end of the world. Stuff happens. The room was comfortable, clean and you cannot beat the location. There is a deli next door and many restaurants nearby. A ten minute walk to the train station. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do not take a taxi from the airport. It is a $250 trip!!! There is convenient train...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill_and_Yoko
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times but this will be the last. On previous ocasions the location has made up for the facilities (or lack off) but the failure of the hot water system and the blasé reaction by staff on this latest visit was extremely disapointing. There are better options.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank NGre
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear guest.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Karl Johan Hotell we strive every day to provide superior customer service.

The night you stayed at our friendly hotel one of the water heater broke down. The plumber worked all night to repair it. Unfortunately there were a few rooms that did not have hot water. We apologize for that.

Because we did not provide you with the service you deserve, I would like you to contact the hotel and we will give you a discount for your next stay.
I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

Sincerely
Mr Leiv Roda

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Walking distance from the railway station, the Parliament, the Tourism Information Centre, the Forex people etc it is at a fabulous location and just next door to the Grand Hotel which was housing celebrities where u could sight some if lucky and patient !!! Also, a lot of character and old world charm generally not very common to new hotels ---

Room Tip: Corner Suites facing the Parliament
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel is one of the best hotel's in Oslo. Wonderful large rooms with a nice view and location is perfect too. The buffet breakfast is also excellent. The front staff was very helpful and courteous. Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank akgandhi25
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Close to bus and train stations - tip: don't take a taxi as they charge for each piece of luggage, it is on a direct bus route. Spacious room with interesting shape and comfortable settee. Staff very helpful. We only had a flying visit, but would be happy to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple