“Hotel Gabelshus”

Ranked #10 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Dallas, Texas
“Hotel Gabelshus”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We spent three nights in the Gabelshus Hotel in Oslo which was recommended to us by Oslo friends of a friend. It is located in a lovely neighborhood with rather easy connections to the local transportation system, either tram or bus lines. While the bathroom was quite small, the room was comfortable, and considering Oslo prices quite nice for the money. The staff was uniformly helpful in helping us find our way around town and recommending interesting places to see and how to get to them. The included breakfast and evening meals were very good thanks to a wide selection. Being of Scandinavian heritage I enjoyed the three types of pickled herring at breakfast, but for those less inclined to such a treat, there were many other options to satisfy any appetite. We would stay there on any future trips to Oslo. Most of the guests appeared to be Norwegian which we appreciated as it emphasized the fact we were in Norway not in a cookie cutter hotel that could have been anywhere.

Room Tip: Stay above the floor near the dining area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear DallasBirder,
It was very nice to read your review, we really appreciate you taking the time to write one.
Thank you for staying at Gabelshus when you visited Oslo, and thank you for recommending it to your friends back in Dallas.
Some of the bathrooms in the hotel are small (the hotel was built in 1912 with no bathrooms...), other are bigger. The hotel consists of two buildings, and before year 2000, two hotels, Ritz and Gabelshus. The Ritz building has bigger bathrooms.
Have a nice summer, and welcome back to Hotel Gabelshus!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Horten, Norway
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed three nights whilst attending Nor-shipping 2013. The room was very nice and even with a nice balcony. Spacious and well equipped room, however, the bathroom was small but had all you needed.
Food was excellent for all meals. Fresh, delicate and with a good variety. Fresh fruit at all times :-)
The athmosphere of the hotel must be experienced. As the hotel is located centrally, it is a surprise that it has so calm surroundings only 5-10 minutes walk from Aker Brygge.
Add free parking, a nice beer on the tap, friendly service and a flexible staff, then you have everything you need for a pleasant stay in Oslo.
This will be our hotel for our next stays in Oslo, business or leisure, that`s for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear WallyElisabeth,
What a wonderful day/week/summer you give all the staff at Gabelshus leaving such a positive feedback, thank you so much! This is what we want our guests to feel after a stay at our hotel.
Have a nice summer, and welcome back!
Rogaland
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We used to live in the neigbourhood for 10 years. My parents always stayed at this hotel when they visited, so I have eaten many a breakfast at the hotel in previous years. Finally got to stay there during our last visit to Oslo. Period building, great curb-appeal. Good location, approx 10 min walk from Aker brygge, the castle and the parliment. Quiet residential neighbourhood. Good breakfast. Rooms in the old part are more charming, but nice design also in the newer rooms. A very good option if you wish to stay downtown in Oslo, but without the noise of the main street.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Jorid_T,
Thank you very much for your positive review, and thank you for staying at Gabelshus!
It is true that the hotel is located in a quit residential area, yet only 1 minute from the tram, which will take you to Karl Johan in 6 minutes.
We are looking forward to seeing you again next time you are in Oslo.
Bergen
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and I'm glad I didn't have to stay longer.
There are some very good points about this hotel like the food and the classic looks.
However, you soon realize that everything about this hotel is done on the cheap and you cannot, in any way, describe this hotel as "quality".
I'll give you some examples. There are no irons or ironing boards in the rooms. You have to use the "ironing room" which you share with all the other guests. This can result in long waiting times if you want to iron any clothing.
You also have to insert your card key in the door lock when exiting your room otherwise your room is left unlocked. I don't know any hotel, anywhere, where I've had to do this. You expect when your door closes behind you that it locks automatically.
The rooms and bathrooms are absolutely minimalistic and cheap. I've stayed in Youth Hostels with a classier feel. It felt like I was locking myself in solitary confinement whenever I closed the door behind me.
Oh, and if anyone else closes their room door all the walls shake and it will wake you up.
On the bright side, the internet was OK.

Dear Bergen,
Thank you for staying at Gabelshus when visiting Oslo.
We are sorry that you were not satisfied with our hotel. We totally agree that the lock system, that you have to insert your key card when leaving the room to ensure it is locked, is old fashioned. Therefore, it is a pleasure to inform you that in July, the hotel will have a brand new lock system installed. We are really looking forward to this.
Half of our hotel rooms will be renovated, and many bathrooms, so from August Gabelshus will be a new experience.
Hope you will try us again!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My first report is a bit old by now, and I have visited Gabelshus a few more times after that. I have seen no "old" rooms lately, which may very well mean they have done them all up by now. Service is allmost impeckable but I miss a waiter that could serve on the terrace after a run, or a meal.

The intimate atmosphere of this hotel makes everything quite acceptable. It is no big Hilton or business-like Plaza, but more of a home away from home.

I love the quiet neighbourhood and the free parking. I miss a "back-door" with easy access to the parking/backyard. It would also save me from going through closed receptions/parties in my sweaty running gear or dragging my luggage through the restaurant.

Rooms on the ground floor are my favourite. They are spacious, but not too much. I guess it's the easy access/near the restaurant and lobby. But it is always quiet. No noise ever!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are quiet and saves you alot of walking to the lobby. In winter, ask for a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Garrrrden,
Thank you for staying at Gabelshus this time - and the previous times, we are thankful for all our regular guests. As you know, we have several types of rooms, and thank you for useful tips to other travellers. Our free parking (limited number of spaces) is quite unique, and maybe we should look into the possibility of an easier access to the parking area. Thank you!
Looking forward to having you as a guest on your next visit to Oslo.
Best regards
Singapore
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Gabelshus Hotel for at least 4 times and always had a good experience. The rooms are warm, quiet and cosy, but can be very small depending on which room you have been assigned to. My most recent stay was just last week for 9 nights. I requested for a queen bed and was assigned to a corner room in the 4th floor of the old wing. This was my first experience staying in the old wing and the experience was unfortunately not good. The old wing had dark creepy looking doors, and upon entering into the room, I was shocked to find that there was no proper writing table and the bathroom door (translucent glass) could not close properly as there were no knobs. The most unacceptable part was the bathtub which was situated below the slanted attic roof, and it was impossible to shower when standing up (you have to sit down on the bathtub to shower). I wonder how this room can be offered to guests when they cannot even shower properly. Also, the wifi connection in the room was horribly slow, which was different from the experience I had before. I requested for a room change the next day and got assigned to a room in the new wing with a proper writing table and shower cubicle. Wifi connection was good and fast. I have no complaints about the new room except that the toilet lights were not fully functional (only the light above the mirror lit up) so the toilet was quite dark.

My advice to travelers who are booking this hotel is that they should always ask for a room in the new wing as my experience staying in that part of the hotel has always been good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tropics15,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Gabelshus on your latest visit to Oslo. The hotel was previous two hotels, the Gabelshus and the Ritz. Some years ago, the two were built into one hotel, now Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus. The two buildings have different kind of rooms, from single rooms without desks, to suites with two rooms. All the rooms in the Ritz building have desks, but not all of the Gabelshus rooms.
I am glad that you got a new room when you were not pleased with the first one.
Thank you again, we hope to see you again next time you visit Oslo.
Lillehammer, Oppland, Norway
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Cozy rooms at home feeling. I do not believe hotels should always have the gold and glitter feeling. The breakfast and evening meal are always excellent. (That's because chef is always on the ball). The staff always helpful and do their jobs very well. A quiet location and the possibility to sit outside during summer anyway. We stayed 17th May 2013.
Leonard F.P. Bellizia
Lillehammer, Norway

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear BeritandLeonard B,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hotel Gabelshus when visiting Oslo for the 17th of May, and thank you for your positive feedback. We really apreciate it, all the staff read the reviews on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Best regards