“Some very good points but too many bad points.”

Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and I'm glad I didn't have to stay longer.
There are some very good points about this hotel like the food and the classic looks.
However, you soon realize that everything about this hotel is done on the cheap and you cannot, in any way, describe this hotel as "quality".
I'll give you some examples. There are no irons or ironing boards in the rooms. You have to use the "ironing room" which you share with all the other guests. This can result in long waiting times if you want to iron any clothing.
You also have to insert your card key in the door lock when exiting your room otherwise your room is left unlocked. I don't know any hotel, anywhere, where I've had to do this. You expect when your door closes behind you that it locks automatically.
The rooms and bathrooms are absolutely minimalistic and cheap. I've stayed in Youth Hostels with a classier feel. It felt like I was locking myself in solitary confinement whenever I closed the door behind me.
Oh, and if anyone else closes their room door all the walls shake and it will wake you up.
On the bright side, the internet was OK.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Bergen,
Thank you for staying at Gabelshus when visiting Oslo.
We are sorry that you were not satisfied with our hotel. We totally agree that the lock system, that you have to insert your key card when leaving the room to ensure it is locked, is old fashioned. Therefore, it is a pleasure to inform you that in July, the hotel will have a brand new lock system installed. We are really looking forward to this.
Half of our hotel rooms will be renovated, and many bathrooms, so from August Gabelshus will be a new experience.
Hope you will try us again!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My first report is a bit old by now, and I have visited Gabelshus a few more times after that. I have seen no "old" rooms lately, which may very well mean they have done them all up by now. Service is allmost impeckable but I miss a waiter that could serve on the terrace after a run, or a meal.

The intimate atmosphere of this hotel makes everything quite acceptable. It is no big Hilton or business-like Plaza, but more of a home away from home.

I love the quiet neighbourhood and the free parking. I miss a "back-door" with easy access to the parking/backyard. It would also save me from going through closed receptions/parties in my sweaty running gear or dragging my luggage through the restaurant.

Rooms on the ground floor are my favourite. They are spacious, but not too much. I guess it's the easy access/near the restaurant and lobby. But it is always quiet. No noise ever!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are quiet and saves you alot of walking to the lobby. In winter, ask for a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Garrrrden,
Thank you for staying at Gabelshus this time - and the previous times, we are thankful for all our regular guests. As you know, we have several types of rooms, and thank you for useful tips to other travellers. Our free parking (limited number of spaces) is quite unique, and maybe we should look into the possibility of an easier access to the parking area. Thank you!
Looking forward to having you as a guest on your next visit to Oslo.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed in Gabelshus Hotel for at least 4 times and always had a good experience. The rooms are warm, quiet and cosy, but can be very small depending on which room you have been assigned to. My most recent stay was just last week for 9 nights. I requested for a queen bed and was assigned to a corner room in the 4th floor of the old wing. This was my first experience staying in the old wing and the experience was unfortunately not good. The old wing had dark creepy looking doors, and upon entering into the room, I was shocked to find that there was no proper writing table and the bathroom door (translucent glass) could not close properly as there were no knobs. The most unacceptable part was the bathtub which was situated below the slanted attic roof, and it was impossible to shower when standing up (you have to sit down on the bathtub to shower). I wonder how this room can be offered to guests when they cannot even shower properly. Also, the wifi connection in the room was horribly slow, which was different from the experience I had before. I requested for a room change the next day and got assigned to a room in the new wing with a proper writing table and shower cubicle. Wifi connection was good and fast. I have no complaints about the new room except that the toilet lights were not fully functional (only the light above the mirror lit up) so the toilet was quite dark.

My advice to travelers who are booking this hotel is that they should always ask for a room in the new wing as my experience staying in that part of the hotel has always been good.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tropics15,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Gabelshus on your latest visit to Oslo. The hotel was previous two hotels, the Gabelshus and the Ritz. Some years ago, the two were built into one hotel, now Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus. The two buildings have different kind of rooms, from single rooms without desks, to suites with two rooms. All the rooms in the Ritz building have desks, but not all of the Gabelshus rooms.
I am glad that you got a new room when you were not pleased with the first one.
Thank you again, we hope to see you again next time you visit Oslo.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Cozy rooms at home feeling. I do not believe hotels should always have the gold and glitter feeling. The breakfast and evening meal are always excellent. (That's because chef is always on the ball). The staff always helpful and do their jobs very well. A quiet location and the possibility to sit outside during summer anyway. We stayed 17th May 2013.
Leonard F.P. Bellizia
Lillehammer, Norway

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear BeritandLeonard B,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hotel Gabelshus when visiting Oslo for the 17th of May, and thank you for your positive feedback. We really apreciate it, all the staff read the reviews on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I went back to this Hotel, cause it is cosy rooms. ANd silent location.

The staff do their best, but the food is horrible. The Breakfst was so bad, only a few variations of ham. Two different cheese.
The Shripsalad was old, and tasted old shrimps...... dangerous.....

And the breakfast closed 15 minutes before closing time.... and that dont make you feel welcome

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k_7777777
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear k_7777777
Thank you for staying at Hotel Gabelshus when you visited Oslo.
We are sorry to see that you were not satisfied with breakfast Sunday. We do normally receive very positive feedback on our breakfast, and I will look into the case and find out what happened last weekend.
Hopefully, you had a nice stay apart from the breakfast experience.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is situated in a calm, noble and exclusive part of Oslo, in the Frogner/Majorstua area. It´s situated between private buildings and houses, and is as calm, noble and beautiful as you only could hope for. Really helpful, discrete and nice staff, and the room was really nice. The only thing I didn´t like, was the clear window between the room and the bathroom.. Which means that you can see your roommate at the toilet, while you´re in bed.. The breakfast was also great, although they didn´t have fried eggs.
I would definitely go back, and recommend it to everyone I know.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Torunn J, thank you so much for posting a review after your stay at Gabelshus.
We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and recommend us. Regarding the bathrooms with glass between bedroom and bathroom; we do have rooms with a different design, so next time ask for a bathroom with solid door when you make your reservation.
Welcome back!

Hotel Gabelshus

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here while on a working trip to Norway. Norway is very expensive and part of the attraction of the hotel was it provided a light supper as well as a substantial breakfast. Tea, coffee and fresh water were also available 24 hours a day. We organised a superior room on the ground floor which was larger than the standard rooms with a lovely bathroom and plenty of room to move around. (Many hotels in Oslo have very small rooms).

The public areas are well appointed with sitting areas, bar areas, and even a log fire.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was set in a quiet side street in an area with lots of embassies and large houses. It was welcoming and quiet, and the bed was very comfortable.

Some people have commented unfavourably on the "dinner" available. Please note that it is not advertised as a dinner, it is more of a light supper. There is soup, cold meats, bread, salads and a hot dish, usually pasta or something with rice. The breakfast is substantial with a good variety of hot food and a wide selection of yoghurts, cereals, fresh and dried fruits, fresh bread and jams, meats, pate and usually fish.

We had no problems and no complaints and would stay in this hotel again.

Although the front of the hotel has several steps, there is a disabled access at the rear, and the wooden floors in the hotel make it very accessible.

Room Tip: If you like a larger room, ask for a superior room. They are light and bright with large windows
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Trude R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Gabelshus, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Crew-Sing,
We would like to thank you for your visit to our hotel, and for your detailed and positive review.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards from
Trude and the rest of the staff at
Hotel Gabelshus