“Great location”

Ranked #2 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
sydney
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great location and close to city centre. Staff are very helpful and the concierge desk is one of the best we have encountered. Breakfast was great and the room very comfortable. Would certainly recommend hotel to anyone planning a visit to Oslo

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santos, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We spent only 2 nights at the Continental last summer and our stay was very nice. The hotel is very well located, close to many restaurants, shops and landmarks. You are also a 5-10 minute walk to the beautiful Pier, crowded of people from afternoon to evening, where you'll find many bars with music and restaurants too, very nice!!

This is not a 5 star property in anyway (3* 1/2 - 4* max) but I think it's the best hotel in Oslo. Staff was very polite and service was good, so was the buffet breakfast. Our room was very clean but a little small for what I'm used to. We ordered dinner one night in our room and the food was very good! It's a little bit pricey for what they offer, there is no pool, SPA neither fitness center.

Metro station is right in front of the hotel, crossing the street, very convenient if you want to go to some place outside the city center, like I did when visiting Holmenkollen Ski Jump (very cool!!).

All in all, the hotel served to all my needs so that's what matters to me (you won't find those 5 star luxury hotels like Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc. nowhere in Norway).

I recommend this hotel and I'll be staying here for sure when back in Oslo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RodolphoBorges
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here on two separate occasions. It is conveniently located near the harbor and the fantastic City Hall. And the hotel just minutes away from the National Theater Train Station. Since there was no A/C and our room was getting warm and stuffy, we opened the window. But there are no screens so be prepared to swat some flies. At night the street noises were too much, so we shut the window. That blocked out the noise but again the room became stuffy. The room had a tiny little clock with no illumination. There was no bath mat. The front desk staff were great and very informative.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Hotel Continental earlier this week and had a wonderful time. The location is absolutely perfect - a 2 min walk to the Palace., the main Street and the harbour as well as being across the road from Nationaltheatret station which is a stop for the airport train.
The staff were all very helpful, friendly but not intrusive. Breakfast was wonderful too. We'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DLM8991
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our group of six hit the Hotel Continental in June 2014. The negatives first: First, I think in central Oslo it is wise if you adjust two settings mentally -- a "five star" hotel would be a "three star" hotel in Asia; second, these old world hotels are extremely expensive. Finally, the Hotel Continental is undergoing renovations. We had renovation noise until 8pm. There were no pictures hung in our hallway when we arrived: While we were there six were hung -- so maybe that's good for the next guest. A lot of the Fourth Floor was under heavy construction. Windows don't fully keep out the street noise -- again, not what you ordinarily expect from a five star hotel around the world.

That said: (1) the Front Desk was great to us. We were jet-lagged but our entire itinerary was thoughtfully laid out to the jet lagged in about five minutes. We had a great day following the Front Desk recommendations and clear instructions, even navigating the bus system and ferry -- which are excellent for tourists in Oslo (immaculately clean, clear instructions, tourist friendly).

(2) we upgraded our four kids to the junior suite -- Room 434 -- was what we got which has a beautiful balcony and table. Tremendous. But our room was tiny and underwhelming on the fifth floor.

(3) The breakfast is among the very best in Oslo. Amazing spread. Great wait staff. One of the best in the world. It's a vacation to get breakfast at the Hotel Continental in and of itself.

(4) The coffee shop/cafe downstairs was blisteringly overpriced, with two cups of coffee and two slices of cake running at USD$100. So we didn't linger there, although there's some history in the sketches of past patrons (think the Palm). If you want part of the hotel's experience, the cafe is a Vienna-style cafe and open to all with money.

The Hotel Continental I think is better than the Grand Hotel. Both need something more to be really world class. But if you like old world charm, and can deal with the renovations (elevators did not stop on EVEN floors during our stay), this is a good choice. If budget considerations matter, we went one night for a totally different stay at Comfort Grand Central.

The location is worth a note. This hotel is right at the National Theatre train stop from the airport (which is a different stop than Oslo Central "Oslo S") -- make sure your airport train is not the express. But you are right in the magic "quadrangle" of Oslo.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank FredTravelVa
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip and while I found the hotel much nicer (modern, cleaner) than the Grand, it was less desirable. They had better TV, nicer lobby bar, quieter rooms, newer (refreshed) rooms--but much smaller, no spa, smaller workout room, and a very snooty staff. Not personable at all. Other than the rooms being more refreshed than the Grand, this hotel is not worth the cost, sometimes twice as much as the Grand. However, if you can get a weekend rate there--which is the same price as the Grand, I would stay here--but good luck on that!. Their breakfast is not as robust as the Grand, less chaotic though. I saw no children here, but the rooms were so small that they would not fit unless you paid even more for a larger room. Nice hotel, just not worth the 3400 Krone they are offering it at!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank usaflyer
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Due to a plain that was horribly late, I arrived in the middle of a cold Oslo night. My bad mood quickly improved when I was met by a smiling and efficient staff at the front desk of Hotel Continental. The single room I was given, was both modern and delicate. More importantly, it was easy to access the free and fast wifi.

As my schedule was very buzzy, I did not have time to check out the hotel's restaurants, who I have heard both have excellent reputations. Still, I was able to enjoy Continental's classic lobby bar. I was presented with a wide ranging menu, that contained everything from burgers to salads, which suited me and my vegetarian guest perfectly. The food was served by a smiling woman, who paid close attention to all of her guests. In other words, our glasses were never empty and our food came fairly quickly. My burger tasted like it was made in one of NYC's finest burger restaurants, and the fries was by far the best I have ever tasted.

Check out at Hotel Continental was a quick and pleasant experience. Without much fuzz I checked out, and to round up my stay a smiling door man got me a taxi the second I stepped out the doors.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HotelContinentalOslo, Daglig leder at Hotel Continental Oslo, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear "Londonglobetrotter" Thank you so much for your kind review on TripAdvisor. It makes me happy to hear that we were able to brighten up your day! I am glad you liked the room, the food, the service and the efficiency. All very important factors for guest - and for us who work here at the hotel! Wifi is also very important for both business-guests and leisure-guests, so we have chosen to invest in a fast and free wifi. Glad you enjoyed it. Hotel Continental was actually evaluated as the 15th best hotel-wifi in the world in an internasjonal wifi-test recently, and we were evaluated as having the # 1 hotel wifi in Norway. Welcome back to Hotel Continental and again - thank you so much for such a nice review ! Best regards, Karin Holme, General Manager.