“Has always been the finest hotel in Norway, and still is”

Hotel Continental Oslo
Ranked #2 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Farsund, Norway
“Has always been the finest hotel in Norway, and still is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Classic family owned city centre hotel vis a vis the National Theatre. Undoubtedly the finest hotel experience in Norway with fantastic service.
At other five star hotels we sometimes feel the staff are diverted to serve socalled celebrities or arab princes or whatever, but not at Continental. You have their attention 110 per cent at all times, never any waiting.
Your desires are satisfied almost before you become aware of them yourself :-)
This is the Ritz of Oslo, but even better service and much more charming and friendly. And enormously less expensive. Only at Shangi La Valley Wing I have experienced similar attention and service.

Dont forget to dine at Theatercafeen, a wonderful Belle Epoque Viennese style cafe full of poets, actors and interesting people and mercifully free of noisy loudtalking tourists ;-)

Room Tip: All roms are fine, but rooms facing Klingenberggaten may have some noise from a nearby nightclub at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ole S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with the best location in Oslo. The hotel is going through a refurbishment which will improve a lot of the facilities which only add to the bow. It is a charming hotel with a great bar. The rooms are fresh and modern and the staff is always there to help. Would recommend over any other Oslo hotel

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank L82London
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Frequently travelling in Norway, I can say that there is simply no other hotel that compares to Hotel Continental! I have stayed in many of the hotel's rooms during the last few years and I have never been let down by the quality - even in the older classic rooms (that are now all being updated). This time I had a Jr Suite and all the amenities were excellent, furniture comfortable for both work and relaxing and a very comfortable bed, you will definitely have a great night's sleep. As classically beautiful as the hotel is, the real stars are the staff. The service is impeccable, from doormen, front desk, bell men and housekeeping. Don't miss having good time for the breakfast which is absolutely topclass - and in the afternoon/evening a drink at the downstairs bar, Dagligstuen, very classy and historic with the Munch collection! To me this Continental is like a Rolls Royce - there may be more flashy options out there in Oslo and Norway, but Continental sets the standard they're all trying to catch up with.

Room Tip: In Summer, try to get one of the Jr Suites with balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here on the 5th to 7th April 2014, to celebrate a significant wedding anniversary. We were met on arrival by the most helpful doorman, had a very pleasant greeting from the Guest Relations Manager and Receptionist, who congratulated us on our anniversary and told us that we had been given a room upgrade to a Junior Suite. The room was just perfect.
Breakfast in the Caroline Restaurant was very good, both hot and cold buffets are well stocked with high quality food and freshly squeezed juices (the pastries are to die for).

Our celebration dinner in the Theatrecaféen restaurant was superb. Excellent professional service, delicious menus and fine wines served in a truly amazing and stylish room with live piano and opera singing in the background; a terrific atmosphere for such an occasion.

We could not find fault with this hotel or its friendly, efficient and helpful staff.

This hotel is perfectly position in the centre of Oslo, with easy access to the many sights being close to the underground, bus and tram stops. The high speed "Flytoget" train from the airport stops just a block away which is a bonus.

Just perfect for us and much appreciated. 10/10 and a Gold Star for the Hotel and its staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelContinentalOslo, Daglig leder at Hotel Continental Oslo, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear PopsPeter, Again - Happy Anniversary to both of you! I am so happy to hear that we were able to create a good atmosphere for your very special occasion. I have just shared your wounderful comments with our employees, and this really inspires us in our daily work! Thank you so much and welcome back for your next anniversary! Best regards, Karin Holme, general manager.
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

The location of this hotel couldn't be more central and the level of service is excellent. The rooms are comfortable, the beds and linens are among the best I have experienced in a hotel, it's almost as good as sleeping at home. Very nice and varied breakfast. It is expencive, but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Skokie, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel with comfortable rooms, restaurant, buffet breakfast and nice location. But if you are expecting to sleep, don't stay here on a weekend. The band started playing just as I was getting into bed and the volume and crowd noise continued to escalate until after 1 am. It was so loud I couldn't believe that it wasn't closer to my room.
Since my primary reason for staying at a hotel is to get a good night's sleep, I can not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Steve K
HotelContinentalOslo, Leder  at Hotel Continental Oslo, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Steve K, First I would like to say thank you for choosing Hotel Continental. I am very happy to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and that you enjoyed our restaurants. However, I am sorry to read about the noise that disturbed you. We had an event that spesific night and unfortuntately the music was too loud. My sincerest apologies. I hope you will consider coming back to Hotel Continental, and please don`t hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything else I can be of assistance with. Best regards, Karin Holme ( karin.holme@hotelcontinental.no), General Manager.
Harstad, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Really nice location in the center of Oslo. Close to major attractions and the subway (about 50 m away). The subway stop is also a stop for the train from Oslo airport. Really friendly staff. I had a standard room with breakfast. The room was amazing! The bed, the pillow and even the blanket was so incredible. I have never been in a nicer standard room in Norway! I can not understand how this can just be a standard room. The breakfast was excellent. Super happy with the stay and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HotelContinentalOslo, Daglig leder at Hotel Continental Oslo, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Helene M., Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel, and I really do appreciate that you will recommend us to others! It was also very nice for me to read that you commented on our pillows and blankets. In the end of February this year, we changed all the hotels pillows and blankets and we have bought allergy-friendly down of high quality to all our rooms. Glad you enjoyed it! Welcome back to Hotel Continental! Best regards, Karin Holme, General Manager.