“Great location, noisy streetside”

First Hotel Millennium
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Morehead City, North Carolina
“Great location, noisy streetside”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here during a 2 day stay in Oslo. The hotel is cozy and centrally located steps away from the pedestrian zone. Check in was smooth. Staff was very helpful and friendly with stellar English. We stayed in room 608. Wi-Fi was continuously being dropped by every electronic device I used. I did not hear either neighbor, the rooms were so quite. Our room was adequate with extra pillows and a coffee maker. Bathroom was well supplied. I was amazed at how fast hot water was made available, almost instantly. Unfortunately, the pipe under the shower leaks terribly nearly flooding the bathroom. The bedding was very comfortable as well. The hotel’s bar staff was very friendly and efficient. The breakfast buffet was adequate with fruit, bacon, cereals, fresh breads, and “powdered” scrambled eggs. However, it is so crowded we actually had to return at a later time as there was simply nowhere to sit.

There is no AC. The safety windows only crack open. With the windows open all night I heard the tram roll through routinely along with “open mic” night across the street. I was exhausted so I slept anyway; however if I had been on a casual trip I would have been annoyed or asked for a room not facing the street. Regardless, I would consider staying here again due to location, service, but would get a room not on the street or wait until it is cooler and do not need to open a window.

Room Tip: Stay away from the streetside if you need to open a window.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Johan A, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear mkennedy38,

Thank you for commenting on your stay,

We hope to see you again in the future.

Johan Appelgren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne,Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Oslo is incredibly expensive so we were very pleased to find this hotel at at reasonable price (£210 for 3 nights on booking.com).
It is ideally located for exploring Oslo as it is right in the centre about 10 mins from the main train station.
We were a little concerned after reading other reviews as there seemed to be a big problem with the lifts, but on our 3 night stay we never experienced any problems at all.
Breakfast was the usual and good although rather crowded as the room was a strange layout.
Free coffee is available in the reception area all day.
The only issue we had was it was 2 single beds pushed together which kept separating during the night.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the courtyard which meant it was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gokangas09,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay! It is good to see that you had a nice stay in our hotel.

Hope to see you again!

Amherstburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location to everything, parks, city hall, train station 10 min walk, Johans Gate, etc. Good price. Room small and fairly non descript. Bathroom very nice, bathtub, big and even has electric towel bar/dryer.
It was very hot, and no air conditioning! Trying to sleep with window open was not good due to traffic noise right below, plus light coming in early in morning. Unfortunately price is irrelevant if you cannot get a good night's sleep. We travel a lot, generally sleep well, this was not possible. I used earplugs and face mask and made out far better than my husband did without them.
Breakfast was abundant & very good, check in quick, atmosphere of staff average. Coffee and water in lobby was a nice touch.
The Park Inn by Radisson across the street will be our choice for future stays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KFCCanada
Dear KFCCanada,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed our breakfast, but it is sad that we did not meet your expectations in total.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel is centrally located and several parallel streets away from the route of Flybussen (airport bus). This made it quite convenient to get to by public transport.

I have a funny story. I had 1 objective when I arrived in Oslo - to see 'The Scream' at the National Gallery. My plane landed on Sunday at 3pm (museum would be closed on Monday, so Sunday was my only chance). I miraculously caught the 3:20pm Flybussen bus. We reached Oslo city centre by 4pm. The driver was kind enough to let me off before the actual bus-stop so that I was nearer to my hotel and could 'run' to it. Believe it or not, I reached the hotel, checked in, dumped my luggage and was out by 4:15pm. Prompt service at the check-in indeed. Bravo! (Thank goodness, I was not behind a tour group, if I may add.) I managed to reach the National Gallery by 4:30pm and had a grand total of 20 mins in the museum (free admission anyway) before it closes at 4:50pm. Yes, I met my objective!

Room was suitably sized, and I love the bed which was very comfortable. My bathroom was also immense.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank aycanela
Dear Aycanela,

Thank you for the review!

Glad to see that you hade a good time at our hotel and in Oslo.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I spent 3 nights in this hotel with my mother for our annual city break. We purposefully chose a budget hotel which wasn't so budget that we had no amenities, but would be a comfortable and clean place to come back to at the end of the day. With this in mind, my review is based on our expectations of such a hotel.

We stayed Monday through Thursday during July (peak time).

Positives:

- Excellent location; 2 streets from Oslo central train station (5 minute walk). No need for a taxi if you haven't too much luggage.
- Ideally located to explore the city by foot.
- Clean, basic room providing a comfortable bed, desk and chair.
- Good sized bathroom (clearly we didn't have the rooms other reviewers have described with tiny bathrooms, ours was a very good size)
- Price appropriate. Oslo is expensive as you would expect in a city, but this hotel is one of the more affordable and the price reflects the service.

Negatives:

- Breakfast. I can see others have commented on this and unfortunately what they say is true. Despite there being a good selection to choose from, the whole system doesn't work. Food is laid out all around the room with everyone pushing to get to the bits they want, and the table situation is ridiculous. Far too many people attempting to have breakfast at the same time resulting in mad table dashing and some people being forced to eat standing up. They need a basic seating system like any other restaurant: one in = one out.

Overall:

We had a lovely stay in Oslo and the hotel perfectly suited our requirements as somewhere to sleep and get changed, before spending the whole day out and about. We weren't seeking luxury in our accommodation and we didn't get it. But what we did get was a clean, and comfortable room in an excellent location to explore from. I don't know what the UK rating is meant to be but we would give this 2 - 3 stars. If you know this in advance then you won't be disappointed.

Would we stay again? Yes...... if they sort out the breakfast madness.

Room Tip: We were in room 208 which had a decent sized bathroom and twin beds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank oceanangel26
Johan A, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear oceanangel26,

Thank you for this informative review, it is very valuable for us.

It is nice to see that you liked so many aspects of the hotel!

We are constantly trying to improve our breakfast, and hope to offer a whole new standard if you return to us in the future.

Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel is centrally located to explore what Oslo has to offer. However, the staff are slow, the breakfast is awful and the rooms are pretty dull!
One thing that always sticks out in my mind, is the lack of room to actually sit down on the toilet... unless you're able to sit on a toilet with legs behind your head, this isn't the place for you! Very uncomfortable!

Room Tip: Get a room with space around the toilet!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sexytonyboy84
Dear Sexytonyboy84,

Thank you for the review.

I am sorry that your stay did not reach expectations, and your comments will be looked into.

First Hotel Millennium
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Not the greatest hotel you will ever stay in... but adequate in every way.
Rooms a decent size for a major city. Beds comfortable.
The gents on reception were very helpful. Wi Fi throughout the hotel.
It is in a great location for a stroll to the harbour and main shopping streets.
The only downside was the breakfast bunfight - literally!
Leave your seats and you join a Norweigan game of musical chairs. More guests than seats and food.

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early and sharpen your elbows.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Djelf,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

It is nice to see that you received good service from our staff!

True, at times our breakfast can be busy, and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope we get to welcome you back!