“Good enough, but not quite first.”

First Hotel Millennium
Ranked #52 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Kuopio, Finland
“Good enough, but not quite first.”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed here over a weekend (Fri to Sun) in January with my friends. I had quite high expectiations since it said on their website that the hotel has been refurbished last year.

The rooms are good enough and they were cleaned well. The beds are VERY comfortable, there is a large flat screen TV and the standard is otherwise good. We did had a few letdowns though: Our first room had a leaking bathroom sink and an air condition that one could not adjust as the button was broken. When we arrived, it was very warm but next morning I woke up freezing and with a sore throat. Luckily these were fixed when we got an other room the next day. They say the hotel is refurbished, but I am not so sure if that has included the bathrooms. Our first room had a piece of the toilet seat missing + rusty marks on the floor and the second room featured some broken bathroom tiles with holes.

What really made me annoyed during the stay was that I had some laundry that urgently needed cleaning and I was planning on using the hotel's laundry service. However, there was no laundry bag to be seen in the room and neither was laundry service mentioned in the hotel guide (which by the way had quite limited information about the hotel itself, but much more about the sights in the city.) so I assumed this service was not offered. I was quite unhappy to find a laundry bag and an information sheet in the new room we got on Saturday.

What also surprised me was the low level of service provided by some of the staff. At the end of our stay, when I requested a receipt, I was told that they could not possibly print one and that I should print my booking confirmation I got to my e-mail. I was also told that I would not be able to collect miles on my airline frequent flier program. The girl at the reception had never even heard about the program. I later checked this with my airline and they confirmed that I should have got the miles from the hotel.

To finish with something positive, I have to say that the bakfast was very good. Tere was a good selection of different items and even a possibility to make some fresh waffles yourself!

All in all, I would say First Hotel Millenium is an alright place to stay in Oslo with a good location. Would have given the hotel much better points had the service not been such a disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards the backyard to avoid the noise of traffic.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lauri H
JohanApp, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear LauriHei,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, our guests opinions are an essential part of our work to imrove.

I am pleased to see that you liked our rooms and our breakfast. It is true that except from new showers the bath rooms have not been refurbished since they are in general in good shape.

With regards to your bill, since you booked and paid through an online travel agency we cannot give you an receipt for the payment. In the future, if you for example book through our web site or directly at the hotel we can provide you a receipt.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the future!

Johan Appelgren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Murrumbateman, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed at the First Millenium Hotel Oslo and found that the room security did not prevent our computer being stolen while we were out for dinner despite the fact that the door was locked when we left. The hotel management took no responsibility for the theft and told us to claim on our insurence. We do not recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make certain that the in room telephone works should you decide to stay, ours didn't.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris L
JohanApp, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Dear Sir,

I am sorry this is the impression you got on your trip to Oslo. When it comes to hotel security, I guarantee you that this is something that is top of the list for us. That is why we have camera surveillance, and electronic locks that register every entry to our doors. As you are aware, in your case your own room key was the only one that had been used during your stay. Due to the lack of any evidence of a theft we had no possibility to compensate you with a new computer, and therefore we suggested your travel insurance.

If your feeling is that we did not take this seriously then I apologise, We always strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations, but clearly we have failed to do that this time.

Johan Appelgren

Travelers are raving about these Oslo hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Walking distance to train station and there's a bus stop in front.

Close to shops and restaurants.

Allows 5 people in family room...rare in Europe!

Breakfast Buffet was included...take advantage of that. We've traveled all over yet were still surprised at Norway's fine dining prices for basic food.

Good clean place for your money (in Norway).

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank expat_London_2010
JohanApp, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind comments! I do hope we get to see you again at First Hotel Millennium!

Regards,

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed November 5, 2011

First Millennium hotel Oslo is centarlly lacated, about 10 minutes walking distance to Central Station. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful; the rooms are partly small, but clean and offer all amenities you need for a short stay. Reportedly they got some cozy and more spacious deluxe rooms.
Breakfast was included in our price and was excellent. Free coffe provided at the reception.
Oslo's to-sites can be reached by foot in few minutes (Akerhus, Castle, City Centre, Opera...)
If you wanna get around and visit museums and Holmekollen jump stadium, Oslo Pass is highly recommended and available at the reception.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas D
Thank you for your kind comments, it pleases me to see that you enjoyed your stay!!

I hope to see you soon again at First Hotel Millennium!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Location is Good, many attractions are within walking distance. Staff was GREAT and Friendly and Helpful! Its not cheap, but this is Norway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay!

I appreciate the kind words about our staff, I will make sure to pass it on!

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the future!

DERRY CITY, Ireland
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in early September, and were well pleased.
The location is ideal - convenient to all transport and sites of interest.
The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the tall girl who gave us the loan of an umbrella on a a wet evening.

The room was perfectly adequate for our needs - clean, comfortable, quiet and very warm. We certainly did not experience any street noise. I would have liked tea-making facilities, but hey, there is complimentary tea and coffee in the reception area.

The breakfast is fabulous - caters to all tastes. But I do agree with a previous reviewer who had an early start. The lady on duty at the 6.30 shift is a real grump.

The WiFi was a real bonus. We were able to research must-see places in Oslo.

All in all I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JohanApp, General Manager at First Hotel Millennium, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Sir / Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. It pleases me to see that you enjoyed your stay! I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our staff members.

I do hope we get to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked a room here for the wireless wifi and booked a room with a queen size bed. The wifi was down and I got a room with two single beds put together as a queen sized bed. The restaurant, Bocca served a really nice Italian pizza, so a plus for that.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Mary,

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. It is of course very unfortunate that our wifi was down that day, normally we experience very few issues with our wifi. Regarding the bedding, we do have several queen size beds, so clearly we have given you the wrong room. I do apologise for this.

It pleases me that you were happy with our restaurant, Bocca. Your kind comment will be passed on to chef Carlo and his team.