“nice hotel and great facilities”

Oslo Guldsmeden - Guldsmeden Hotels
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great Price quality level! Nice staff, and Warm cosy comfort room. Hotel is located near the city centre. You can walk if you like. i like the chilllounge in the hotel, where you can drink free thee or waters.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 21, 2013

this hotel is well located in oslo being a 180NOK taxi ride from DFDS ferry terminal coming from Copenhagen and a 200NOK taxi ride from Central station. It is a 5 min walk to the Waterfront which has recently been re developed into a buzzy restaurant and shopping area and another 5 minutes to the City Hall, Tourist office and the ferry to the museum areas.
The reception staff are very caring - our stay was split into 2 periods with a visit to Bergen in the middle and cases were cheerfully kept. Leaving for Stockholm before breakfast we were given a breakfast box to take with us. There is a small lobby on the ground floor and if you come in tired from sightseeing the reception staff will offer a cup of coffee (free) or something stronger (which you pay for !) if you would like. Breakfast is excellent and fresh and it is so nice to see a basket of apples with the sign - please take some ! The only slight downside is that an IMac provides wired access and streams TV - this does not always work as well as it should and there is not 24/7 technical backup - it seems to me that most people bring their own hardware with them and just require wifi access plus the hotel to provide a TV - streaming TV is a bad experience !!
Bathroom is small but totally adequate - we had no noise as our room was at the back. Great value in very expensive Oslo.

Room Tip: ger a room at the back - 309 is good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is an interesting hotel that is a great value and in a great location in Oslo. The staff was very kind, answering my emails and questions even before I arrived, and then giving me great directions once I got there. The focus on conservation and being eco-friendly is apparent in nearly every aspect of the hotel. I stayed there one night when I arrived in Oslo and then another night five nights later when I came back from going to up into the mountains and had to fly out of Oslo. Given that, I stayed in two different rooms, but overall, they were similar. Both of my rooms were definitely on what might be considered the small side, but I had plenty of room to move around and put everything away, etc. They were not huge, but the beds were nice and comfortable. The towels and robes were made out of a cool eco-friendly material and the lights in the hall were turned on and off with motion sensors. The bathrooms were very small and the sinks in both the rooms were very tiny, but it was completely clean and functional, so I didn't mind. The breakfast was excellent in the morning and the staff was kind enough to prepare a meal for me to take to-go when I had to leave before dawn for my flight. I just mentioned it the night before when I was checking in and it was ready for me at the front desk when I checked out. That was not something I expected and I was very appreciative. The location of the hotel is great, too, not far from the harbor, some great shopping, and very close to the royal palace and the park. It's also a five minute walk from the subway station, which makes it easy to get around Oslo and to and from the airport. Overall, it's a very clean hotel for a very good value with an extremely kind staff in a nice, safe location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is green and self sustained. Quite a nice decor in the rooms, mac machines are placed on all rooms for TV and internet.

The lady at the reception Halla was tremendously happy to serve with a smile. I had to leave early in the morning and the hotel made me packed breakfast, which was quite nice.

They have a spa which is quite good and have beauty products on sale, these are chemical free.

Must stay for the experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

OK, I know I am going against the spirit of many reviews here but I wasn't bowled over by this place.

Good points:

Breakfast was lovely and felt very healthy.

A short walk from Aker Brygge and its lovely views of the harbour.

Evident commitment to sustainability which was important to me.

Very quiet and I slept really well.

The price felt like good value for Oslo.

Female receptionist on the day I checked out was lovely.

Neutral point: the towels look odd (it took a while to work out that they actually were towels rather than pieces of cloth) but they worked fine.

Not so good points:

The single room was tiny.

Felt a bit shabby - e.g., one of the light fittings was just hanging out of its socket by wires.

The shower had a life of its own - fantastic pressure but it was so strong that the shower head shot up and soaked the ceiling. To keep the shower head at the right angle so I could actually stand under it I either had to hold onto it with one hand which made it difficult to wash or weigh it down with something (I ended up using a soaked flannel).

I didn't get the iMac thing - where it was mounted made it impossible to watch from bed and really fiddly to work out how to use it.

The location is not inaccessible but it does *feel* a bit out of the way and the neighbourhood didn't feel safe to me as a single woman there - groups of young men hanging around in the side streets which were otherwise deserted.

Overall, it was ok, but it wasn't 5/5 for me. Sorry guys.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Londoner_08
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A nice hotel in a quiet side street in Oslo. Friendly staff, we were an hour early and were allowed to check in without trouble and we were welcome with our two dogs. The beds were comfortable. The keyboard to the IMac didn't work and was replaced immediately. Excellent breakfast in the morning, free coffee and tea at all hours,
We would certainly sleep here again, also because of the original decor inside the building. (The outside may look a bit bland,but inside is cosy and nice!)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed 1 night at Hotel Guldsmeden. Having to stay very often in business hotel, I have to say that this has been a very refreshing alternative. Room was equiped with 2 iMacs, and you could really tell see the attention to detail. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was really good as well. Minor negative points: in the shower there were no shelves or somewhere to leave the shampoo, so I had to shower and hold it in my hands;). The sink was a bit small, as well. But overall, a great experience, I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business