“Good value hotel”

Thon Hotel Gyldenlove
Ranked #59 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed July 4, 2014

This hotel is well located near Vigeland Park. The breakfast included in the fees are gargantuous so take advantage of this as the food in Oslo is quite expensive. Only bad comment I do have about the hotel is the bed. Even though comfy, the bed was very soft. If you are used to a harder bed you might have trouble sleeping. Staff is competent and friendly. Would recommend this hotel for a stay in Oslo.

Room Tip: I took the smallest room which includes a small table... There is not a lot of space to walk around...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your nice feedback on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy that you enjoyed yourselv and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Thon Hotel Gyldenløve is located in Bogstadveien, one of the main shopping areas in Oslo. It is just behind the Royal Palace, and within walking distance from the city center. It is not a 5 star hotel; the rooms are small, the service ok, and the breakfast buffet excellent. The personnell smiling and helpful. Everything is ok, but not outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SveinMilford
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Svein,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience of being our guest with us and others. We are happy to see that you hade a nice stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you back at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Nice materials and colors in the room, but extremely small. Room and bathroom together was about the same size as a regular walk-in-closet. The space between the desk and the bed was so small so it was hardly possible to use the desk at all - instead I had to sit with the laptop in the bed to do some work. Stains on the curtains. A plus though for a good breakfast buffet and for being nice and calm in the night - slept very well.

Room Tip: Don't choose the smallest single rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy to see that you had a good night sleep at our hotel and enjoyed the rich breakfast buffet. Thon Hotel Gyldenløve has seven different room categories, so feel free to choose another room type for your next stay. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you again!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, but there are a few quirks that may annoy American travelers. You need you room key to turn on the electricity, so if you leave you can't recharge computers or other electronic equipment. There also is a three inch drop between the room and the bathroom, which caused us to trip going in and stub our toes going out. Also, breakfast on the weekends doesn't start until quite late, so early risers are out of luck. They also did not have double beds available. On the plus side, the staff is extremely helpful and the rooms are spotless. The hotel is also conveniently located on public transportation, although we ended up walking everywhere down the main thoroughfares.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear guest,
thank you for your review on your stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve! We are happy to read that you enjoyed being our guest! Our hotel is certified as an Eco-Lighthouse, thus we try to reduce our impact on the environment when it comes to energy, waste, chemicals and water - as many other hotels do both in Norway and other countries.
With regards to the breakfast time, we serve breakfast in weekends from 8am to noon, since most guest like to enjoy a late service. However, we do offer "breakfast to go" for those how departure earlier. Feel free to contact reception the day before departure and we will prepare such a package for you.
Regarding our room categories and beds please visit our homepage to get all details about our seven room types. All our rooms have double beds, and none has twin beds.
We are happy that the location, cleanness and service of our staff could contribute to a nice stay at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve. Welcome back!

Best regard,

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I reserved a night for myself and a friend as a treat in the midst if my finals, I needed a break from my home. This hotel is located on Majorstua, one of the nicest Places in Oslo. It's in the middle of the good shopping street Bogstadveien, with all that your heart can crave just outside the door.

I got a room on the 8th floor and that gave me a little view -and facng away from the main street, so I wasn't bothered by the noise from the clubs and reastaurants at night.

I had a double room, but was not impressed by the design of the room. The first thing that met me when opening the door was a sink. Yep. Washing hands right away is celarly important ;) The bathroom was tiny, and I could barely fit my feet when sitting down. The shower was ok, but a little more pressure would be nice. A desk and a double bed was at the other side of the room. A big closet with a Mirror on it was also there.

The design of the room was not good. I think that the sink belongs inside the bathroom, not outside. A few changes could be done there. My friend had a single room, and there were Windows in the shower. What is the point?? If being two people there, I woudl certainly mind someone being able to see me take a shower. Another poorly design.
I had some stains on the curtains. Don't know what it was, but it doesen't look good... And the floor could absolutely do with a little freshing up.

Otherwise, the bed was SO comfy!! And the pillows... I wanted to take them home :) I have stayed in other Thon Hotels as well, and they do know how to make me sleep well. So thumbs up for the bed! :)

All in all a very nice hotel, location is wonderful, and the city is at your feet just outside the door. The breakfast was good as well, different meats, cheese, Fish, bread and warm dishes. A bit crowded breakfast room, but there's room for everyone :)

Room Tip: This street isn't to noisy, but there is a bit traffic and the tram goes just outside. If you do...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Susanne P, General Manager at Thon Hotel Gyldenlove, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review of Thon Hotel Gyldenløve and the description as "a central gem"! It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay thanks to a good night sleep in the "comfy" bed, the good breakfast and location of our hotel. When it comes to the design of the room it is a pity that it was not according to your taste. I can assure you that all rooms for two or more persons have a frosted glass between the sink and shower, so you will have the needed privacy and can rather make use of the surprising functionality.
My team and I thank you again for your visit and nice feedback and we hope to welcome you soon again!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

The best thing about Thon Gyldenlove is the staff; they are friendly and sweet. The basic rooms are just larger than a postage stamp with everything fitting into a small square box; not for the claustrophobic. The only toiletry in the room is a bar of soap, and in the shower, just liquid soap in a wall dispenser, so be prepared to bring everything else you need in terms of shaving, shower caps, etc. If you want tea or coffee it is complementary, but only at a machine in the lobby; no coffee makers in the rooms. No frills means they charge to watch TV, all channels. A decent deli and restaurant are on the same block for local eating. A very small bottle of drinking water from the mini bar costs $6.50 US. It is a ten minute walk into the heart of the city from this location. Lobby is tiny with one very bright orange couch.

Room Tip: rooms at the back away from the street are not necessarily quieter, due to an apartment complex beh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MandM12345

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. The whole team says thank you for your warm words on the staff! We are very happy that we could contribute to a nice stay in Oslo.
When it comes to room size and amenities I take the freedom to recommend to choose another category for your next stay - we have seven different types of rooms, all from small single room, over standard queen and family room to superior or business room. From your review I read that a superior or business room might meet your needs and wishes, please feel free to choose when you are visiting us the next time. Regarding the TV so do we have more than 20 regular TV-channels and a large variety of Pay-TV in addition.
My team and I thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We all know "minmalistic" is fancy word for "small rooms and little inventory". "Urban modern" the same, just a fancy word for stuff that isn't so great.

But, Sergej at the reception desk was a very service-minded chap with a friendly attitude. He asked a bit too much about the Thon Hotel member thing which was a bit awkward. Room was one of the smallest I've experienced, but the bed was comfortable - as most is in Scandinavia. Odd thing putting the sink inside the room like some kind of British B&B thing. Most likely got more to do with lack of space rather than "progressive design" or whatever fancy word you may put on it. The room showed some sign of wear and tear, but as with most Nordic hotels - very clean. Nothing on the walls, just white. I told my wife it felt a bit like a prison cell, only that we could leave when we wanted too. Wi-fi came and went on my tablet. Close to useless, but it did work. Jolly good for that.

But, the warm welcome made up for some of the oddities, and the breakfast was very nice indeed. Price was a bit steep for such a "minmalistic" room, but this is Oslo after all, where you pay 40 NOK for a Mountain Dew at some of the neighbouring shops. Shocking.

Majorstuen is a nice little area of Oslo, if you want something else than the city center (with all its flaws) come here instead - but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay at our hotel. We are happy to see that especially our staff met all your expectations and could contribute to a pleasant stay for you, even though you did not like the design of the room too much. It is very nice to read that you had a good night sleep and enjoyed the breakfast in the morning as much as the cleanness of the room in total.
We hope to be able to welcoming you again at Thon Hotel Gyldenløve!