“Short stay in Oslo”

Scandic Sjolyst
Ranked #28 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed in Scandic Oslo Sjolyst for only one night in double room and I would definitely reccomend this hotel for short stays in Oslo.
The hotel is situated in relatively quiet surroundings (aprox. 10min. ride by tram from the city centre). The welcoming at the reception was very pleasant, I got all the information I needed and the room itself was clan and cosy. There was quite big and clean bathroom, tea/coffe making equipment, mattresses were softer than I am used to, but my back wasn´t complaining.
In the morning there was a broad breakfast buffet both English and continental style, cereals, fruit and some Norwegian specialties. The ony negative thing was a little bit crowded breakfast room because in the same time there was a bigger group of tourists - all of them was trying to get as much food as possible as quickly as possible- but the staff was quick and replenished the missing parts.
The check-out was very fast and without complications.
Overall I was happy about this trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 16, 2012

A little on the low side of Scandic hotels. If you are going to stay at Scandic in Oslo, choose another one if possible. This one has no facilities sucjh as gym, and it is situated a bit of from the city. Breakfast was ok but not more and the place is a bit worn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Looking for an inexpensive out of town base? Then this is it. However, if you are after a hotel of character with an intimate feeling, the Scandic is not for you! The rooms are clean and comfortable but don't expect a view of anything other than high rise buildings. Oh you can just glimpse the Hollmenkollen ski jump through the gaps in the multi-storey car park opposite. The buffet breakfast is fantastic but I have never experienced a hotel restaurant with standing room only before! The hotel is extremely well positioned for bus and train connections into the city centre and you can take an idyllic walk or borrow hotel bicycles to explore the Bygdoy peninsula. A beautifully wooded area with beaches, the Kon Tiki and Viking ship museums and super boat connection to the city centre.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel´s situated at Skøyen, which is nice if you´re there on a business trip, i.e. The hotel is clean and ok, but not much more. Room service is not available, but they have a small kiosk in the lobby. The room was also ok, but there was only one pillow (and not a particularly good one) for each bed, so it was almost impossible to sit in the bed watching tv... The staff was utterly nice, it was almost comical, especially as one of the ladies working there speaks extremely loud.. Not very discrete. Even though we had breakfast ten minutes before it ended, they were out of milk, orange juice AND apple juice. And the eggs were almost not fried at all. I would rather stay at an other hotel next time, but again - it´s cheap and ok.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My stay at this hotel started our pleasant: the hotel was located relatively convenient and easy to find. It's clean, comfortable, and the staff was helpful in giving directions to tourist attractions. Unfortunately, the hotel had a problem with theft when I stayed there in June of 2012. I was enjoying breakfast when a man stole my purse. That was when my original impression of the hotel rapidly diminished.

When I reported the theft to the staff, he informed me that it was not the hotel's responsibility, as they had put up signs warning guests not to bring their belongings to breakfast. Something similar had happened at this particular hotel. While he was extremely busy, he was very crucial in my search for the thief, helping me recognize the man that stole my bag on the security footage. The hotel does not have a security manager and there was also a loophole in their security system. There are two entrances to the hotel--the main entrance that was monitored by several security cameras and the staff, and the side entrance that did not have a security camera nor any sort of security measures. There is a blind spot too in the system where the thief came down stairs from the dining area and went through the side door and out the side entrance. I noticed this when I retraced my steps and could not see myself in the security footage.

My entire trip to Oslo was ruined because I spent all my time going through dumpsters and trash cans near the hotel, reporting the theft at the police station, and replacing my passport.
I lost my passport, wallet, and things of great sentimental value to me. While the staff asserted that the hotel holds no responsibility for the loss of my item, it was of no comfort. Essentially, it's as if the hotel is plagued by a pest problem and instead of dealing with the problem, the hotel was telling guests that if they don't put their feet on the floor, guests will be safe from pests. The staff should have taken more preventative action in warning the guests of their problem of theft. Upper management was nowhere to be seen, and the security system lacking. I was brushed off and the staff offered no solution to my problem except to go to the police station. I received a letter from the police informing me my case was shelved for lack of evidence even though I found the thief on tape.

Since you will not receive warning from the staff, support from upper management, or even the security of your belonging: this is a warning that if you do decide to stay at Scandic Sjøylst and go to breakfast, DO NOT BRING valuables with you! ! -June 16, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback, I apologize the late reply on this site.
We are truly sorry that you experienced a theft of your purse at Scandic Sjølyst. I can assure you that we take security for our guests very seriously, and we have taken several measures to prevent theft at the hotel. We provide information in our elevators, signs on every table in the restaurant, keep the main entrance locked during breakfast hours and advice tour guides to advice guests to not leave their valuables unattended.
Thefts can unfortunate occur in a big city as Oslo, we have a very good cooperation with the police as well as other hotels in the city. We all frequently share information about the criminal activities in the city/area and discuss actions to prevent this from happening. In our hotel we have had 2 incidents of breakfast theft this year, including yours.
Again I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
I want to assure you that we continuously review our security routines and we continuously train our staff to make sure they are aware of the latest updates.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

The location was spectacular with easy access to downtown and minutes from the park. There is a great variety for breakfast.
The area its self doesn't have much to do, but it's so close to downtown.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We agree with you that our location is indeed quite nice and easy to get to, both from the Airport and the city center, with the Skøyen train station in short walking distance. We are also very fortunate to have wonderful tourist attractions and nature experiences close by.
Look forward to welcome you back at Scandic Sjølyst in the near future!

Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel is one of convenience not luxury.
The rooms are clean, the beds comfy and the staff friendly.
Breakfast was disappointing with cold eggs and the baked beans had been there for a while.
Stayed for 3 nights as my husband had work nearby so the location was great as I could still get the train into town easily.

On a side note DO NOT catch a taxi from the airport as it is ludicrously expensive!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback and for taking the time to write us a review.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made such a good impression and that you found our rooms clean and comfy. We apologize that some of the items from our breakfast buffet disappointed you, next time let us know and we will be happy to get the chance to improve and help you.
We hope to welcome you back to Scandic Sjølyst in the near future, it is very easy to get to the hotel from the airport with the Airport Express train, faster and more affordable. And within walking distance!