Scandic Sjolyst
$178
$155
$183
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Boersparken(Oslo)(Great Value!)
$158
$206
$202
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstrain stationbusiness tripcity centreiron and ironing boardbreakfast selectionnice hotelvery pleasant staythe viking ship museumclose to the hotelroom was clean and comfortablebreakfast was excellentpublic transportone night staysmoked salmonmin walkhotel roomvisiting oslo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My stay at this hotel started our pleasant: the hotel was located relatively convenient and easy to find. It's clean, comfortable, and the staff was helpful in giving directions to tourist attractions. Unfortunately, the hotel had a problem with theft when I stayed there in June of 2012. I was enjoying breakfast when a man stole my purse. That was when my original impression of the hotel rapidly diminished.

When I reported the theft to the staff, he informed me that it was not the hotel's responsibility, as they had put up signs warning guests not to bring their belongings to breakfast. Something similar had happened at this particular hotel. While he was extremely busy, he was very crucial in my search for the thief, helping me recognize the man that stole my bag on the security footage. The hotel does not have a security manager and there was also a loophole in their security system. There are two entrances to the hotel--the main entrance that was monitored by several security cameras and the staff, and the side entrance that did not have a security camera nor any sort of security measures. There is a blind spot too in the system where the thief came down stairs from the dining area and went through the side door and out the side entrance. I noticed this when I retraced my steps and could not see myself in the security footage.

My entire trip to Oslo was ruined because I spent all my time going through dumpsters and trash cans near the hotel, reporting the theft at the police station, and replacing my passport.
I lost my passport, wallet, and things of great sentimental value to me. While the staff asserted that the hotel holds no responsibility for the loss of my item, it was of no comfort. Essentially, it's as if the hotel is plagued by a pest problem and instead of dealing with the problem, the hotel was telling guests that if they don't put their feet on the floor, guests will be safe from pests. The staff should have taken more preventative action in warning the guests of their problem of theft. Upper management was nowhere to be seen, and the security system lacking. I was brushed off and the staff offered no solution to my problem except to go to the police station. I received a letter from the police informing me my case was shelved for lack of evidence even though I found the thief on tape.

Since you will not receive warning from the staff, support from upper management, or even the security of your belonging: this is a warning that if you do decide to stay at Scandic Sjøylst and go to breakfast, DO NOT BRING valuables with you! ! -June 16, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback, I apologize the late reply on this site.
We are truly sorry that you experienced a theft of your purse at Scandic Sjølyst. I can assure you that we take security for our guests very seriously, and we have taken several measures to prevent theft at the hotel. We provide information in our elevators, signs on every table in the restaurant, keep the main entrance locked during breakfast hours and advice tour guides to advice guests to not leave their valuables unattended.
Thefts can unfortunate occur in a big city as Oslo, we have a very good cooperation with the police as well as other hotels in the city. We all frequently share information about the criminal activities in the city/area and discuss actions to prevent this from happening. In our hotel we have had 2 incidents of breakfast theft this year, including yours.
Again I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
I want to assure you that we continuously review our security routines and we continuously train our staff to make sure they are aware of the latest updates.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

The location was spectacular with easy access to downtown and minutes from the park. There is a great variety for breakfast.
The area its self doesn't have much to do, but it's so close to downtown.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We agree with you that our location is indeed quite nice and easy to get to, both from the Airport and the city center, with the Skøyen train station in short walking distance. We are also very fortunate to have wonderful tourist attractions and nature experiences close by.
Look forward to welcome you back at Scandic Sjølyst in the near future!

Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel is one of convenience not luxury.
The rooms are clean, the beds comfy and the staff friendly.
Breakfast was disappointing with cold eggs and the baked beans had been there for a while.
Stayed for 3 nights as my husband had work nearby so the location was great as I could still get the train into town easily.

On a side note DO NOT catch a taxi from the airport as it is ludicrously expensive!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Elizabeth R, Manager at Scandic Sjolyst, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback and for taking the time to write us a review.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made such a good impression and that you found our rooms clean and comfy. We apologize that some of the items from our breakfast buffet disappointed you, next time let us know and we will be happy to get the chance to improve and help you.
We hope to welcome you back to Scandic Sjølyst in the near future, it is very easy to get to the hotel from the airport with the Airport Express train, faster and more affordable. And within walking distance!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel was fantastic in several ways. Clean, well laid out room. Comfortable beds and pillows. Shower very nice with good water pressure. Staff enjoyable and helpful. breakfast is very good and well presented.
Location may seem far out but only one train stop from the National theater and easy to get to. One criticism is that the bar is not open every evening due to it being seen as a business hotel and not reason to keep it open all week. Another good location point is that it is an easy walk to the Viking ship museum on the Bygod peninsula and the KonTiki museum and such...beautiful day to walk to.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank your for your fantastic review of Scandic Sjølyst!
We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in so many ways.
We agree with you that our location is indeed quite easy to get to, both from the Airport and the city center, with the Skøyen train station in short walking distance. We are also fortunate to have wonderful tourist attractions and nature experiences close by.
We hope to welcome you back at Scandic Sjølyst in the near future!

Best regards

Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

This is located close to Skoyen train station. Rooms are quite small. But the staff at reception and restaurant are friendly. Check with reception whether any tour group is currently in and adjust your breakfast time accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2012