“Excellent hotel”
Review of Thon Hotel Astoria

Thon Hotel Astoria
Ranked #59 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at Thon Hotel Astoria for just one night, but I was actually sad that I shouldn't stay longer. It is a really nice, comfortable, clean and good hotel. I enjoyed my double room very much, and I think that the staff provided very good service whenever I asked them questions and at check in and check out. They were smiling and welcoming.

The hotel is situated in the very center of Oslo, very-very close to the main pedestrian road, Karl Johan. Anyway, it wasn't noisy at night, and I slept very well in my nice bed. The breakfast wasn't amazing, but the wifi was great, and I really have nothing to complain about.

Oh, btw, just a tip - everything is SOOO expensive in Oslo, also foodwise. But there's a great little Thai restaurant right next to the hotel, called "Thaibollen" or something like that. The food is excellent - and cheap compared to Norwegian standards - enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here as a family group overnight. Rooms very nice, clean and modern. Our son and family had a family room with fold away bunks, which was huge compared to our double, worth thinking about paying the extra if you want some space. The double bed in the family room was 5 feet wide compared to the 4'6" we had in the double. Good breakfast buffet. Handy for Oslo S station and the shuttle to the airport.

Room Tip: Think about paying extra for a family room if you want some space and a wider bed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Boswarthan
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location downtown in Oslo. The rooms are kinda small, but they are comfortable. The staff was friendly and were glad to help. The breakfast buffet was very good, and a great option if you have the time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very friendly staff, clean room, and in great location to discover Oslo. Breakfast is a buffet style, with variety of food and it stays open untill 11.00 . The location of the hotel is 5 min walk from Oslo central station. I will come back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Looking for budget accommodation in the world's most expensive city? Look no further - Thon Astoria has you covered.

The hotel has a very good location - minutes on foot from Jernbanetorget, which is the most important public transport hub in Oslo (and where the Airport Express train arrives). My room was on the seventh floor (719), and it was the very definition of "budget": Tiny (the bathroom had less square footage than my desk at work), no wardrobe (just a few hangers), a small bed, and an equally miniature desk - really just the bare necessities. Yet somehow it managed to be cozy, even comfortable. It was clean, warm, well ventilated, and all the basic things were there.

I have stayed in 3 Thon properties so far, and everywhere the breakfast was well above average - I'm starting to see a pattern here. Astoria wasn't an exception. I've seen poorer breakfasts in hotels 2 categories superior.

Free WiFi. Fast, too. And one which doesn't require you to re-log-in million times a day.

Gripes? Very few. The reception area is somewhat depressing, but hey, how much time do you really spend there? The two lifts are sluggish and no match for the large(-ish) hotel. Prepare to walk up and down some stairs, or waste your youth waiting for the lift.

Overall, I was very satisfied. Won't doubt to select this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

You see Thon hotels on just about every street corner. We got in late so we chose a thon hotel that was close to central station. This location is literally a 5 minute walk away. The room is tiny and I wouldn't say the cleanest. There were holes in the sheets and my friend found hair in one of the towels. The size of the bathroom was sufficient. We chose a family room since there were three of us. I know my friends stayed at the Thon Munch and said the decor was much more modern, hip ,and clean. My favorite part of the stay was the buffet spread. We really took advantage of the endless tea offerings, warm foods (scrambled eggs, sausages, fish pancakes, waffles), yogurts, juices, coffee, cheeses, cold meats, and etc. Everything is very expensive in Oslo. So we really filled our bellies. The staff was nice and efficient. The front desk tried to address my questions on where to buy a SIM card. The Opera House is down the street as well. Free hot beverages also offered in the pantry area. Free wifi throughout the hotel. If the price was the same, I would choose the Munch location instead, but I would reconsider another Thon stay if I get the chance to return to Oslo again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Muselulu
Reviewed June 19, 2013

A clean, comfortable modern hotel. The train station is easily reached and a reasonable walk to the harbour and other sites. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. There is a free internet service. The breakfasts were well layed out, with the food good and plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple