“Excellent location, staff very helpful ..”
Review of Thon Hotel Opera

Thon Hotel Opera
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at Thon Opera, we had a room with a balcony over looking the Opera House, it was fantastic to sit out and watch the world go by.. It is located only a short walk away from the main shopping street.. Staff were very helpful and we enjoyed the variety at the breakfast buffet.. Location beside the train station is an added bonus.

• Stayed: May 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,309)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I visited this hotel for a combined business and holiday trip. Arrived late on a saturday, so the short 2-3 minute walk from the Airport Express train was excellent. I was met by a well-staffed reception, with gentle and service minded people. Due to my Gold membership I was upgraded to the best available type of room in my category, quite pleased with that.

My room was in the "new part" so I had to take the underground walkway to the elevator. The room was bright, clean and the bathroom was equipped with a set of soap, shampoo and conditioner.

A nice desk, and free wifi with adequate speed made it easy to work from the hotel room, and the TV have the possibility to connect a pc or tablet (bring your own HDMI-cable).

The breakfast is great, lots of choices of both hot and cold, good coffee and nice staff.

The hotel have a restaurant and a cafe. I did not use these, so I cannot rate them.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Oslo. There are cheaper hotels, but the location is excellent, the service is good, and it was a real nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed in Thon Hotel Opera for two nights during my stopover in Oslo. It offers great location - right next to the Oslo Central Train station, which is also in the center of the city. The king's palace is just 10-15 minutes of walk from the hotel.

During my time there they were renovating the front access so the hotel was mostly accessible through the side entrance - which is closer to the train station anyway.

Hotel offers has friendly staff that helps you with your questions and arrange the staying for you. The breakfast is great with great variety of foods to choose from. It is not the cheapest hotel in the city, but certenty offers a lot.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The location is the real draw for this hotel, being in between Oslo Sentral (main rail station) and the lovely Opera House. We had a twin in May, 2014, with a great view of the Opera Building.

I expected the room to be a bit larger, since we had just come from the Thon Hotel Munch (in Oslo, as well). It proved to be a bit smaller, though the furnishings and bathroom were much nicer. The breakfast was super, as were all the breakfasts we had in Norway.

While waiting for the 14:00 hour train to leave for Trondheim, we took our luggage to the floor that had a balcony that overlooked the Opera House, and wrote postcards. It was great to be able to sit outside while we waited.

This hotel had been booked for us through Nordic Visitor, so we began and ended our trip through them at this hotel. When we arrived at 22:35 hours from Flam, the staff had our luggage ready at the desk for us, as it had been sent from Bergen, so that our large bags didn't have to travel with us on the Flam part of the trip. The receptionists were all helpful and friendly.

All in all, the decor and location were the two real pluses for this hotel. Personally, I preferred the Thon Hotel Munch because of the balcony we had there (and the price was considerably less expensive).

Room Tip: It was nice to happen to have a room that looked over the Opera House.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The easy way to find Hotel Opera in Oslo, when arriving at Oslo Airport Gardemoen, is to take the airport train to Oslo Central Station (Oslo S). You do not need a ticket to the train just your credit card, so pass the queue and go straight to the entrance gates and swipe the card and choose your arrival station as Oslo Central station. When you arrive in Oslo and come up from the platform you turn to the left and walk straight on. If you arrive on a train continuing to Drammen you have to pass to the other side of the station down an escalator to get to the exit nearest to the hotel. If the train stops in Oslo you’re at the exit in a minute. Walk straight on coming out the exit and the hotel is in front of you. Pass the taxis and you will find an entrance that takes you in at the back of the hotel. The reception is down the stairs or if you prefer the lift is to the left of the stairs.

Hotel Opera is normally too pricy for me but I found a good offer for single rooms on weekends if I paid in advance. My room was quite small, about 10½ m2, but had nearly everything, comfortable bed with reading light, spacious writing table with chair and wall lamp, good wi-fi, wardrobe, clothes hangers, luggage rack and minibar. I was surprised not to find even a small safe in this high class hotel and I missed pen and pencil on the writing table. In the bathroom you’ll find a shower behind glass doors, hair drier and free toiletries. The breakfast came far above my expectations although they were high. Chefs were working within the breakfast room in an open kitchen serving freshly cooked food as fried eggs. omelettes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and more. You’ll find a big choice of the normal things at a buffet breakfast complemented with muesli, almonds, seeds, lots of fresh fruit like plums, melons and pineapple. Enjoy the breakfast and. you won’t need lunch.

From the breakfast room you have a view of the water side with old sailing ships and the Oslo Opera, where you can see people walking on the slightly inclined roof enjoying the sea view sunbathing when the weather is nice and bright

Beside reception you’ll find two computers connected to a printer for the guests’ use. If you want to leave your luggage at the hotel when checking out, the reception staff will tag your bag and give you a ticket. Upon collection they will fetch the bag for you from the storing room. This seemed to me as a good safety routine.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank __Joh__Ye
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed here after flying in to Oslo; we had an early morning train to catch. Took the train from the airport; the hotel is literally across the street from the main station. It's expensive - everything in Norway is! - the the location makes it worth the cost.

We were in the annex building; a bit inconvenient as it's a bit of a maze to get there from the front desk. But room was clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel has a great location right opposite to the central station and very close to the opera and centre of the city. Rooms and services are fine. Breakfasts are very good. I found the bed not so much comfortable and quite narrow.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business