Thon Hotel Opera
$171
$308
$299
  • Pool
Comfort Hotel Boersparken(Oslo)(Great Value!)
$161
$137
$206
$171
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Park Inn by Radisson Oslo(Oslo)(Great Value!)
$135
$207
$202
TripAdvisor
2,367 results
All reviewstrain stationbreakfast buffetexcellent locationnice hotelconvenient locationsingle roomnutshell tourgreat breakfastairport expressoslo fjordshort walkbusiness roommain stationhotel is locatedcity centreoslo passnice room
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Thon Hotel Opera is conveniently situated next to the "Flytoget" (train to the plane), the Central Station and, as you would have guessed, the magnificent Opera in Oslo, Norway. The main shopping area of Oslo City - Karl Johan - is a short walk away as well.

I stayed there for 1 night in conjunction with a Customer Experience Conference in Oslo.

Check-in was quick and professional and a small hick-up in the booking was managed well.

Pros:
- room 808 was decent with coffee/tea maker
- lightning fast and free internet throughout the property
- the breakfast on the 3rd floor was plentiful and a good experience
- the hotel listens on social media (you may not know the implication of that, however to me that means that they do care about helping customers the best way they can)

Cons:
- NOK 44 for a bottle of minibar water is simply way off the mark
- construction going on outside (June 2013)

Overall I enjoyed my short stay there, and will come back - mainly because of the convenience of the location. And if memory serves me right, I have had a pleasant experience with other hotels in the Thon chain of hotels as well.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 8th or 9th floor for a magnificent view of Oslo
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having taken the bus from Stockholm to Oslo, we arrived early at the Bus/Train station to find that the tourist info center which books Hotels had inexplicably moved to the city away from this arrival hub...spotting this Hotel across an expansive square with major earthworks in progress integrating the new Opera House with the city...we hustled over as we had been told the city was full...and YES they had a room which we took for two days as this is a pretty neat city to visit...as we entered our room we spotted the by now familiar roofless red bus at the opera house...and knew where to catch it...
We enjoyed Thon Opera Hotel and its GREAT breakfast enough to book again for two days in Alesond the cute western Norway mini town that has gone the rounds as one of the amazing places of the world.. What we did not realize is that Alesond (Oleson) is also gateway to the amazing Atlantic highway...so research this before going...more in our Alesond Thon Hotel post...

Room Tip: I suspect any room is a good one....you will be outside so much do not waste money on high floor or view rooms unless you can well afford it..!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located next to the central station. We took the train from Flam to Oslo. Opera house is just next door.
Many buses and trams ply past near the hotel. We took bus 541 to another town Drobak 55 mins away. The train to airport takes 23min.
Room is average but loved the huge and clean bathroom. Buffet spread at breakfast is really good.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great location close to the railroad station, the opera and the rest of downtown Oslo. New hotel, very clean and comfortable. Nice breakfast. Comfortable room, except for the gap between the door & the frame, which led to a disturbing noise of hissing air. A bit understaffed in the reception on check-in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed in the oddly named Thon Opera Hotel in April 2013 as part of a package holiday with www.traveldept.ie
The hotel was very nice with large beautifully furnished rooms with an elegant ensuite. There was a large comfortable lobby/reception area with an adjoining bar restaurant area. The buffet breakfast was very nice indeed with large selection of meats, fish, cereals and fruit etc. There was also a very nice bespoke omelette cooking section. All in all very nice indeed. To top it all there was a very nice glass elevator with an excellent view of the Opera house and harbour.
A personal view of Oslo:
Now before I went on this trip, I had heard that Norway is expensive by comparison to Ireland, but not even a full blown Thong Opera could distract me from the price of the beer. I payed just over 12 Euro for every pint!
In Dublin I have seen arguments over spilled beer, but in Norway I shuddered to think of the potential murderous consequences, as I nursed each glass carefully and closely to my chest. The next day, as I eyed the mortgage for a night out, I thought that a simple lid on each glass would surely save lives!
Nice town but very pricey... I liked Reykjavik better.

Room Tip: They appeared to be all good- the single room supplement was a killer...I thought about car pooling.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo