“Great location if you are going to the opera.”
Review of Thon Hotel Opera

Thon Hotel Opera
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Stavanger
“Great location if you are going to the opera.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed one night when we went to a performance at the Opera House. The hotel puts you in the mood as there are costumes used in operatic performances displayed in the hotel lobbies.We had a room in the new wing of the hotel and found it clean, quiet and very comfortable.It was wonderful to be able to stroll out the door and over to the opera house. After the opera we walked back to the hotel and ate in the restaurant. The food was very good and the service extremely friendly and helpful. We booked well in advance ( had to for the opera) and got a good deal on the price too:) Good location from which to start a walk around Oslo centre the next day and so convenient for trains to airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Felbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed for one night, we took the airport express train (paying by card at the barrier is cheaper than the ticket office). The hotel is right next to the train station overlooking the harbour area. Staff are friendly and very helpful, telling us what to see within our short time period. Ask for a room with a sea view, we were given an inner room overlooking other rooms, but it was fine for a night and quiet. Our friends had a room with a view across the city and were woken by the local police bringing a drunk back, it was apparently entertaining but did disrupt their sleep. If you opt for the breakfast bag be aware that it's very basic, a sandwich, carton of juice and an apple. This hotel was perfect for us due to its location next to the station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on one of the upper floors looking across the harbour
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1LR
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Was advised by the client I was working for to book this hotel and wasn't disappointed as a new visitor (through work) to Norway I was very nervous about getting to Oslo Airport at 23:10 and then getting a train to Oslo and then finding my Hotel. ....Well the flight was delayed and I didn't get to Oslo until after midnight - then I was really panic (ing)...I need not have worried - The Airport Express train runs until 1:00 ish and it's 25 mins to Oslo Central where my hotel was all of 2 minutes from the platform. The specific location was absolutely brilliant for me because the Bank I was working for have moved just around the corner. However the whole area is being radically redeveloped so there's not actually much there at present apart from buildings and building works (none of which disturbed me at all) . AND the New Opera house which looks superb. Arriving at an Hotel after midnight is often a challenge and indeed it was quiet. However they were expecting me (as you'd hope) and within a few mins I was up in the room calming down. My room was fine (not massive) but I am told (by the lady on reception) that the single rooms are small (so don't book them unless you like compact or are on a budget!). The room was spotlessly clean and had everything I needed for my 2 nights. Free Wifi etc Not much else I can say really apart from I went back 2 weeks later and it was exactly the same..and am heading back again next week - and expecting the same. They do say don't buy Beer in Norway and they'd be right! The hotel bar was expensive but no more so than Norway generally The hotel has a nice feel and breakfast is great.

Room Tip: The reception Lady said the single rooms were small - I can't comment but that seems like an hon...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Location excellent if arriving by train - just across the road.
Staff accommodating, disposed of a large bicycle box I arrived with
Breakfast good
Single room quite small but had all you'd need
Overall a good stopgap

Room Tip: South side preferable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a pleasant and friendly greeting on arrival. We stayed for 3 nights and were given a great room overlooking the Opera House - sure there was work going on in the area, however, it did not interfere with our stay. Extremely convenient for the Airport Express and very easy to find your way around town.
Despite other reviewers comments, we found this to be the most friendly accommodation on our trip - great service (from Viola), friendly smiles and good advice.
The breakfast was excellent. A first class stay!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'd probably recommend this hotel - OK room, cost-effective, and facilities all work the way they should. The hotel restaurant (Scala) was also very good - if you don't faint at the high price of everything in Norway! However, why are the staff so glum? The receptionist who checked me in and out didn't greet me at all, couldn't smile, and couldn't care less by the looks of things. Why do so many hotels strggle to get even the most basic level of service right?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,046 helpful votes
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I only spend a night in here. the room was ok, breakfast was ok. it's just an OK hotel. nothing to complain about.

there is this small shopping mall behind the hotels. not that crowded and it was all nice and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family