“close to central train station”

Thon Hotel Terminus
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Concord, New Hampshire
“close to central train station”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is that it is very close to the central train station. Beds are clean and breakfast buffet is fine. However, the Thon prominently advertises an evening buffet--but when we stayed there, the staff--when we could get their attention-- told us, "sorry, no buffet." The low rating comes from: 1. deceptive advertising regarding evening buffet in a city where the food prices are outrageously high; 2. the lackluster attitude of the front staff--either they need better training, better oversight or they are grossly understaffed. If we come back to Oslo, we would consider this hotel due to location, but would certainly shop around first. Other Thons might be much better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nymom25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Close to central station, and fair walk to sights. Rooms roomier than average, but not tremendous on the amenities or finishes. Rooms facing street are quite loud at night. Air conditioning almost non existent. Breakfast was above average.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

In May I stayed in your hotel, in room 711.

It turned out impossible to sleep in that room. Every half hour or so, a deep (sonore type) sound starts and lasts for 10 minutes. It is as if you are above a kind of machine room and the vibrations are felt in the bed.

When, the next day, I alerted the staff to this, the reply was that it might be the air conditioning. But it certainly was not; the sound of the air conditioning is added on top of the other sound.
There is no more effective torture than waking somebody up every 30 minutes or so…..

I alerted to management to this but two months later I still did not receive any reaction. Hence the decision to put this warning on Tripadvisor.

For the rest: the service is excellent and the location of the hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 711 and those in its vicinity
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Robert v
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Thon Hotel Terminus for one night in June 2012. The hotel is centraly located and is close to the bus station (about a 5 min walk).

The room was very clean and we had no problem with the size of the room or bathroom.

Breakfast was excellant - a lovely selection, that certainly set you up for the day.

We would stay here again if we were back in Oslo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte982
Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Maybe its only a summer promotion, but my 5 yr-old loved his own check-in desk, breakfast buffet, ice cream at check-oyt, and toy room. The hotel is also pretty convienient, and resonably cost competitive for Oslo Sentrum. We did have a fire alarm mid-day when we happened to be in the room. All the fire protection equipment appears to work. My room was also pretty big for Norway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ericnelson76
Hammerfest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. First of all the location is perfect. Walking distance from the central train and bus station. There are two major shopping centers within a 100m radius, and the main street (Karl Johan) is just a 8-10 min walk away.

The people that work in the reception are very polite and make you feel welcome, and make sure you have everything you need for a perfect stay.
The rooms are quite big, and have the standard you can expect for hotels in this pricerange.
The only thing that wasn't good enough, was the breakfast. The people that worked there, didn't fill up fast enough, when something was empty (ex. eggs and sausages) They were also kind og slow, cleaning tables.
But, overall, I would recommend this hotel if you stay in Oslo, business or pleasure.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Hammerfest
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed 5 days in this hotel: 2 on my way in and 3 on my way back. After an 11 hours' flight from Bangkok, I first arrived at the hotel at 9:00AM. I was told I couldn't check in until 3:00PM! In most countries, check in time is 12 noon. The girl (with glasses) at the reception was not very helpful. I was able to leave my luggage in the store room. I came back to the hotel at 1:30PM. The same receptionist saw me but said nothing. At 2:00PM, I asked an information at the desk with the other receptionist. She told me I could check in already! I had quite a nice single room on the back at the 3rd floor. The room is large, with an armchair, a hot water kettle for tea or coffee, a mini bar, WiFi, a multi channel TV. The bathroom is tiny but all right. Breakfast is served from 7:00AM to 10:00AM on weekdays, and from 8:00AM to 11:00AM on weekends. So, how do you do if you have to catch a train or an airplane earlier. This hotel is conveniently located at a mere 10mns' walk from the Railway Station (Oslo S). It is called Terminus. So I think they should cater for travelers and offer breakfast at an earlier time in the morning. This being said, I was able to leave my luggage in the storage to go on my tour of Norway. On my way back, I had the same, nice room I had when I came in. It was late in the evening and again the same receptionist was not very friendly. She wanted my hotel voucher straight away! I had asked her to go to the room first, saying that I would come back with my voucher. On the 2nd day, I learnt that snacks were provided in the evening at the nice, glass dining-room on the 2nd floor. Nobody had told me this upon checking in! Anyway, this hotel is really nicely situated, near the main railway station and only at a 20mns' walk to City Hall, downtown Oslo.

Room Tip: My room at the back was really quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo