“Convenient for travelers”

Thon Hotel Terminus
Ranked #10 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed 5 days in this hotel: 2 on my way in and 3 on my way back. After an 11 hours' flight from Bangkok, I first arrived at the hotel at 9:00AM. I was told I couldn't check in until 3:00PM! In most countries, check in time is 12 noon. The girl (with glasses) at the reception was not very helpful. I was able to leave my luggage in the store room. I came back to the hotel at 1:30PM. The same receptionist saw me but said nothing. At 2:00PM, I asked an information at the desk with the other receptionist. She told me I could check in already! I had quite a nice single room on the back at the 3rd floor. The room is large, with an armchair, a hot water kettle for tea or coffee, a mini bar, WiFi, a multi channel TV. The bathroom is tiny but all right. Breakfast is served from 7:00AM to 10:00AM on weekdays, and from 8:00AM to 11:00AM on weekends. So, how do you do if you have to catch a train or an airplane earlier. This hotel is conveniently located at a mere 10mns' walk from the Railway Station (Oslo S). It is called Terminus. So I think they should cater for travelers and offer breakfast at an earlier time in the morning. This being said, I was able to leave my luggage in the storage to go on my tour of Norway. On my way back, I had the same, nice room I had when I came in. It was late in the evening and again the same receptionist was not very friendly. She wanted my hotel voucher straight away! I had asked her to go to the room first, saying that I would come back with my voucher. On the 2nd day, I learnt that snacks were provided in the evening at the nice, glass dining-room on the 2nd floor. Nobody had told me this upon checking in! Anyway, this hotel is really nicely situated, near the main railway station and only at a 20mns' walk to City Hall, downtown Oslo.

Room Tip: My room at the back was really quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Christmate11

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Rick Steve's recommended this place, so we went for it. It was really close to the train station, which was really nice as we were arriving from a long flight from the States. We arrived before check in and they held our bags for us.

The room was clean and nice. Bed wasn't very comfortable, shower and bathroom was nice. Breakfast in the morning was pretty good. During the week when we stayed here they had a small dinner. This was great, as Oslo is super expensive, so we essentially only ate at the hotel during our stay. We had a late train out of Oslo, so the hotel again held our bags for us.

Nice waitstaff, clean hotel, great location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I usually stay at this hotel when on working trip in Oslo. It's well located, just behind Oslo City, a big shopping center. Also short distance to buses, tram & local train. Not too fancy, but very nice and comfortable - also pricewise.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are nice. Otherwise the traffic noise might distract those who don't...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2012

On arrival we were given a room, which on inspection had the smallest double bed ever! After speaking to the reception staff, who were very pleasant and helpful, we were given an alternative room which was better appointed and had a bigger bed. The shower room was tiny.
The hotel is within walking distance from the railway station, however, the directions - through a shopping centre- are most confusing and it is easier to walk outside (less than 5 minutes).
We stayed on a Friday night and were told that breakfast did not start until 8am - this is much too late for many travellers. We were catching a train which departed at 8.11 so we had to miss this meal. This was very annoying considering the cost of food in Norway. We went to look in the breakfast room at 7.30 and there were a number of guests all trying to find something to eat.
We ate at the Italian next to the hotel and it was excellent.
If you want to see the sights in Oslo, definitely get the Oslo pass as it covers all public transport and entrance into a large number of attractions.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ossy-Lizzy
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I largely enjoyed my stay here, although the lack of any temperature control for the room was a real shame as it was far too hotel so I did not sleep very well. This was a shame as otherwise this is a good hotel with helpful staff and large, clean and well furnished rooms. The breakfast was good too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BredonDave
Reviewed January 28, 2012

First I have to tell about bad side - only one for few Thon's hotels I visited before- never take single standard room - it's too small ( only for hobbits maybe:) ). But this small room was very functional, free WiFi was fast. There wasn't normal shower cabin , but warm floors excused everything. Tea's set is quite nice after walk in around snowing Oslo. Breakfast area was very cosy, the breakfast tastey and for any taste. It's a pity that hotel doesn't offer vaffels during weekend.
Location is very good - just 5 minutes through shopping center from train-station ( so weather isn't so important when you come there). The biggest bus stop is very close - just 150 meters. You can buy here Olso pass for one day that's very comfortable: most of museums are free, transsport is free, some good offer in caffees and restaurants..there's only one problem how to find so much time to visit and see everything in Oslo for one weekend:-)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DocTJ
Reviewed December 26, 2011

There a many different Hotel Thons in Oslo so please make sure that you book the right one. I actually didn't end up at the one I expected (Hotel Thon Opera which is the one that is visible from the Central train station), but fortunately I ended up at the Hotel Thon Terminus across the street.

Hotel Thon Terminus is a nice functional hotel that is well located in central Oslo. Free WiFi and buffet breakfast.

Rooms are small, but functional. Clean. Tiny bathroom for one (like on a ship), but the foor was heated - very nice in December when I was there. One twin bed that was a bit too soft for my liking. Not cheap, but most alternatives in Oslo are just as/more expensive, so it does offer decent relative value in this expensive city.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business