“Not very "gourmet"”

Add it.
Julius Fritzner Restaurant
Cuisines: Norwegian
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were absolutely alone in this restaurant and it was not a big problem for us. We had a 7 course dinner. Service was good, but very slow inspite of there was not anybody except us.
We liked all the meal, they were not big but very well decorated!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I just moved to Oslo from England this past month and had a friend treat me to a wonderful "secret" restaraunt that he knew of. I guess it is hardly ever busy. Before we went I took a look at this sight and translated some of the reviews and have to admit that I was a little scared to eat here since the past couple of reviews were so bad! Since I didnæt want to embarrass my friend I went anyway and was simply shocked at how wrong these reviews were! The food was absolutely delicious and the service was just wonderful. It is highly comparable to any Micheline restarunt that we have in London.

I was so excited to have found a wonderful place here in Oslo to enjoy for special occasions and then I was told that this lovely place is about to close for good! Again...Shocked! How can this be? Perhaps this upheaval is the reason for the few stars on the other reviews? Maybe they are switching chefs around trying to fill in for someone who has left? Now looking at the reviews before that I see that there had not been any in a while and then several bad ones in a row. Wow... it doesn't look good for the Grand Hotel and thier future! I am really not sure but I assure the reader that on this night they must have had found a wonderful chef and suggest you try this restaraunt before it closes. I know for sure you won't regret it!

3  Thank Cindy M
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Julius Fritzner is located upstairs in Grand Hotel, and pretends to be a grand restaurant. They offer a choice of 3, 5 or 7 course dinners. We tried the 5 courses. The only nice dish was the red wine sorbet ("cleanse the palate"). Oh, it all sounds good... sole, duck, lamb, etc. But every dish is a mish-mash of flavours and textures, all of it dotted with streaks and puddles of variously colored sauces... really, truly awful.
The best thing you could say about the food, was that the servings were tiny.

The service was tolerable, but nothing more. And allow me to point out: We were in excellent mood when we went there, and we truly tried to enjoy the evening. Impossible.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The decor of this restaurant mostly reminds of "old school" French restaurants. But the 7 course tasting menu is absolutely a´modern and high class cuisine. Innovative but, not a 5 star tasting experience even though the produce is high class.

Service is very good, and this restaurant deserves way better ranking in the Norwegian papers.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you have enough to spare I really would recommend this restaurant! It's my favorite! They really make wonderful elk and reinsdyrs stakes! The ambience is quiet.

1  Thank Sabmue