“Great location, fantastic breakfast”
Review of Scandic Victoria

Scandic Victoria
Ranked #44 of 103 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed twice at this hotel, at the start and end of our trip to Norway in May 2011. On the first occasion we stayed in a room that was on the 3rd floor with an internal window (looking out across other rooms, with the restaurant below). The room was small, adequately and nicely furnished, but the temperature was warm, and the air con didn't seem to be adjustable. On the second time, we got a room on the 7th or 8th floor, much bigger, with an external window - it was such a contrast - and we paid the same price. The breakfast was something I had never seen (until later when we stayed at other Rica hotels in other parts of Norway). The front reception service was fair to good. The location was great, it was a short walk to Aker Brygge and it was also convenient for us to collect our hire car for the rest of our trip. I would definitely stay here again when next in Oslo.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room on the lower floors with an internal window only - the rooms are warm and stuff...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neri229

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I'm in Oslo on business five-six time a year and after trying a couple of other hotels I've chosen to always stay at Rica Victoria. It has it's flaws like all hotels but for me it gives me what I want at a decent price (although, as everything in Norway it is VERY expensive for what you get...).

The rooms are big by Scandinavian standards. I book the lowest price possible but always get a double bed in a big room with good size desk, a couple of comfy chairs and table. The beds are super comfy just as many other reviewers have said.

A bonus for me is the in-room water kettle with tea and coffee (although it's not always stocked with tea and coffee but you can always get that in the breakfast room). Most Scandinavian hotels don't have water kettles so I love it when they do.

The breakfast is really good. Great selection of everything, bread, fruit, cereal, spreads, cheese, ham, sweets, the lot. And it's served in a very nice room with lots of natural light, although, a bit chilly in the winter so don't sit next to the ac....

Room Tip: There are two types of room, facing the indoor courtyard and facing the street. The rooms towards th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Avastra
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel is located very centrally with regards to Aker Brygge, Nationalteateret (train to the airport), shopping and the Castle.

The staff were helpful and friendly. I changed my room once as I wanted a quiet room, and this was not a problem.

Unfortunately, there are no real quiet rooms. You can either choose a room facing the street (around the hotel) or you have a room facing the dining area (located in a big square in the middle of the hotel), which gets a bit noisy around dinner and breakfast time.

However, what is worst about this hotel is the room's door locks. All room doors must be locked manually, and do not lock automatically either when you are in the room or when you leave. A friend stayed at this hotel and forgot to manually lock the door and ended up being woken by a threatening man in her room in the middle of the night.

The door locks and the lack of quiet rooms means I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel is great, Helpful staff, Clean rooms with nice bathroom.
Room view into the breakfast room is not so good, but OK.
The breakfast buffett is unbelievable, everything you can imagine. Selfmade pancakes, different kinds of salmon, etc.
For hotel guest WLAN is for free and is fast everywhere I used it.

You can reach main Oslo highlights by feet. Just a few minutes to Aker Brygge.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I like this hotel becouse of his good location. I think that it requires some renovation.

+ Location
+ Breakfast is nice
+ Free wifi
+ Tea in the room + kettle
+ Bathroom was clean
+ Hairdryer

- Kettle had a broken lid
- My mug was dirty with the brown streak from tea
- Bed had a hollow in the middle (it wasn't matterace - it was for 2 people, bad frame was in one peace)
- You can't turn off the light without using the Main Switch. It means that power during the night is off except for the socket on the desk

Overall I liked the hotel.
I was in the standard room.

There should be the evaluation: Terrible, Poor, Average, GOOD, Very Good, Excellent. For this hotel I would pick GOOD.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a windows to the street side. The rest of the rooms are with windows indoors...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews we had read, and we were not disappointed. The hotel is very conveniently located just off Karl Johansgate; we were able to walk to all the main sites in Oslo center. The rooms and bathrooms were spacious for the two of us, and the bed and bath linens were clean and fluffy. The breakfast buffet was bountiful and delicious. The staff was courteous and helpful. We had reservations for three nights and the only minus was that there was a lot of street noise on our 2nd night. It turned out that university classes had just started that day, and students were out in full force late that evening celebrating their return to classes. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and the noise was troublesome. We mentioned the noise to the staff the next morning, and they happily changed our room to the 8th floor, which was an improvement. Although air conditioned, the rooms do not each have their own thermostat. So, if you want to open your windows for add'l cooler air (as we did in the summer), you might hear street noise. Ask for a room on a high floor. Overall, we liked the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank USNA2003
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Upon our arrival to the hotel, the amount of business suits should have told us they weren't going to pull out all of the stops for families. We stayed at the Rica because my husbands business put us up there, but we were also on a family vacation. The hotel overall is nice looking and the location is very conveniently located. However, the room was not very clean (dirt on floor, dust on surfaces, and even underwear in the back of the armoire). We had a broken showerhead and the water pressure was not ideal; additionally the water temperature fluctuated from very hot, to hot, then very cold. We did mention this to the hotel staff, but nothing was done to repair it. For families traveling with young children, they do have travel cots available as well as highchairs at breakfast. There is also a small fridge located in the room (for 1 or 2 bottles or a meal). The breakfast was nice, but did not suit children very well (food options included a variety of smoked meats/fish, cheese, vegetables, but also included eggs and potatoes, yogurt and muesli as well as fruit). (No hot oatmeal or many cereal selections). My husband enjoyed the breakfast very much, but I found it to be over-cooked/salted. There is a room service available (contracted out) that delivered us some very tasty Chinese food during dinner time. As for the room options, do not get a room facing the dining area (no outside view) if you are a light sleeper. During breakfast hours (beginning at 0630) and dinner hours (on weekends until 11) it is noisy and filters into the room (even up to the 5th floor). Overall, we would not enthusiastically recommend this hotel to friends traveling with children, however, if the price is right and they ensured the room had a thorough clean, valued a free breakfast, and wanted a short walk to city centre this hotel would be fine.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family