“Great location, but needs a revamp.”

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel
Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Edinburgh
“Great location, but needs a revamp.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in December either side of a trip to Svalbard due to flight times, it's location is very central and was just a short (cold) walk to pubs, restaurants, shops, etc.

The decor in the hotel was reminiscent of the Overlook in Stanley Kubrick's" The Shining " The carpets and room decor have seen better days, there were cracked and or missing tiles in the bathroom, and no decent extraction fan so… there was a note up to say you have to shut the bathroom door when showering as the fire alarm may be activated otherwise.

The staff were very nice and the area was good, it's the first & last stop for the Radisson Airport Bus too so it's handy from that point of view, journey time circa 50-60 minutes.

The view from both rooms we had were fantastic (I think the 19th & 20th floors,) overlooking central Oslo & the Fiords.

I'd try somewhere more modern in future though, as this hotel was a wee bit tired looking!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view over the City.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Boris,
Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you were satisfied with our services offered. In regards to the condition of some of our rooms, we are aware that they might me a bit outdated, but I am pleased to inform you that some of our rooms will be refurbished as from May 2014. We will then be able to offer new and modern rooms to our guests.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Thomas Stene, General Manager, Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We were very disappointed with the room we got at the hotel.
We expected a 4-star bedroom since that's the official rating and the price we had to pay for it.
Cons:
- Very uncomfortable bed and pillows.
- Small, cold and ugly (like from the 60s or 70s) bathroom.
- The shower was dirty, with no pressure and uncomfortable.
- Room seemed old, outdated and should be fixed up.
- There were no lights in the ceiling.
- No safe in the room.

Pros:
- Great location, next to the Royal Palace.
- Good and complete breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sacha,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you found our bed and pillows uncomfortable. I will for sure use this feedback for improvement. I am pleased to inform you that as from May 2014 we will start refurbishment of some of our rooms. We will then be able to offer new and modern rooms to our guests.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you to our hotel also in the future.

Thomas Stene, General Manager, Radisson Blu Scandinavioa Hotel, Oslo

Travelers are raving about these Oslo hotels

Krakow, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had some problems with this evaluation, because this hotel is generally OK. However, in comparison with other Radisson hotels, this one is really not a wonder. For example, I'm used to the fact that Radisson offers 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water. In Oslo, I had to ask for one, which I got with the invoice to sign. Mini bar was empty and fridge looked really dirty. One part of the desk was damaged and it fell down on my knees when I was checking my mails. What else... We got only one shampoo and body lotion. There were neither soap nor shower gel. The walls really need repainting.
We didn't use swimming pool nor sauna. Breakfast OK, large choice, like in all Radissons. On the bright side, the Summit bar on 21st floor is really nice, with wonderful view and chilly atmosphere.

Room Tip: The higher, the better. (view:)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo-the-alien
Thomas S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We are very sad to hear that the stay did not meet your expectations, this is not the way we want our guests to experience our hotel. We normally offer complimentary bottle of water when the tap water is not drinkable, and in Norway the tap water is completely safe to drink. However, we will of course use this feedback for improvement. I am pleased to inform you that we will start to renovate some of our rooms as from May 2014, so we will then be able to offer new and modern rooms to our guests.

I hope that we will have the pleasure in also welcoming you to our hotel in the future.

Thomas Stene, Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights during our scandinavian countries trip.

The hotel offers excellent buffett breakfast.

The room is nice with comfortable beds

The bathroom could have been better. From water pressure to ammenities provided. It is just not at par with the rooms

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thomas S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate that you found our breakfast very good and our beds comfortable. Your comments in regards to the bathroom I will use to further improve our services. I would like to mention that from May 2014 and onwards some of our rooms will be refurbished so we will then be able to offer new and modern room to our guests.

I do hope that we will be able to also welcome you in the future.

Thomas Stene,General Manager, Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo
Morges, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I often stop in Radisson Blu hotels in Germany, Austria, Russia, Poland and over Europe because normally I can always expect expect a similar quality and services everywhere.

The Scandinavia Hotel in Oslo is a huge hotel and should go for a complete renovation. Even on google map when you look for it it has the subtitle "Closed permanently"...

The rooms are really old and in a bad state. The desk is falling down apart. The sanitary are totally old with some moisture and old joints going away around the bath.

When getting the room the minibar was empty so we didn't even have a small bottle of water, we requested one and it was charged 49 NOK for 0.5l (11EUR).

Soap was missing in the bath room so we had to request it as well.

The summit bar on the 21st floor is nice and the staff is friendly so it's really about investing a bit and refreshing / renovating the rooms...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
We are aware that some of our rooms in the hotel are a bit outdated, so I am pleased to inform that we will start a renovation of some of our rooms in May 2014. We will then be able to offer new and modern rooms to our guests.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Larnaca, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel is a fine hotel which my husband and I really liked despite some unpleasant surprises. The main reason why we chose this hotel for our Christmas holiday in Oslo, Norway was because of the two main restaurants and the Summit bar on the 21st floor advertised on their website. We were looking forward to a romantic festive dinner at Enzo Restaurant on Christmas Eve and , surely, Christmas Lunch - just like last Christmas in London.

Soon after our arrival, we were very disappointed to find out that both restaurants - the Brasserie and Enzo Restaurant - would be closed from December 24 to January 3 including the Summit bar! We were then informed that only snacks at the lounge bar would be served on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. To say that we were shocked would be an understatement. Many other guests also complained about the restaurants being closed for Christmas. We respect the culture and traditions of the countries we visit, but we also think that a reliable 4-star hotel ought to have informed their guests that the restaurants would be closed for Christmas upon booking - not upon arrival!

Other than that, we really liked the hotel. Our room on the 11th floor was spacious and very comfortable and we greatly appreciated the impeccable cleanliness and housekeeping attention in the room. We also loved the breakfast buffet which consisted of a wide variety of hot and cold dishes. Service at the lounge bar was a bit slow but on the whole it was quite satisfactory.

All in all, Radisson Blu Scandinavia is a fine hotel which, however, does not deserve its 4 stars. I'll certainly not recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 1112 on the 11th floor
1 Thank Anastasia M
Thomas S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
First I would like to take the opportunity to to wish you a Happy New Year.

Thank you for taking time posting your review. We are very sad to hear that the stay did not meet your expectations, this is not the way we want our guests to experience our hotel. We will for sure use this feedback for improvement.I would appreciate if you could contact me on gm.scandinavia.oslo@radissonblu.com, in that way I can reply directly to you in regards to your experience at our hotel.

Best regards,
Westbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

The location of the hotel is very good - central location so many of Oslo's main attractions are in easy walking distance.

The rooms are, as has been noted by other reviewers, rather dated but are scheduled for an upgrade, which will sort out the decor. However, our standard room was very small, which I don't think is a problem that an update will be sorted out by redecorating. The view from our room on the 16th floor was fantastic.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable, and the hotel was very quiet, so I would have slept really well if there had been any way of adjusting the temperature in the room. Unfortunately there wasn't, so it was stiflingly hot.

A word of warning if you are driving and park in the Q car park by the hotel. You must ensure that you find one of the ticket machines in the car park and pay in advance for your parking. Otherwise you will find yourself having to deal with a parking fine - we got one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to wish you a Happy New Year.
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and as you mentioned, we will start a refurbishment of some of our most outdated rooms starting in May. We will then be able to offer fresh and modern rooms to our guests. Our parking facilities are not operated by the hotel, so you need to obtain a ticket prior parking to avoid a fine.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Best regards,